GOG Uploads System Shock 2

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
GOG Uploads System Shock 2

The new digital distribution rights holder, Night Dive Studios, was able to get hold of System Shock 2 last year.

"Negotiations began in October of last year," says Stephen Kick of Night Dive, the new holder of the System Shock 2 digital distribution rights. "I pitched the rights-holder with the focus being on the digital distribution of System Shock 2 and - as much to my surprise as anyone's, possibly - here we are today." If you're wondering where here is, it's GOG, which confirms the rumor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122059-Rumor-System-Shock-2-Coming-to-GOG] circulating only a short while ago, that the classic games distributor might be about to get its mitts on BioShock's progenitor.

The acquisition was all the more daunting because nobody was entirely clear who held what any more, though it seemed feasable that Meadowbrook Insurance Group [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/], of all unlikely companies, had inherited the rights from defunct Looking Glass. It took time to find out what had really happened; time, and a lot of legwork.

"You know the drill: one step forward, two steps back," said GOG's Guillaume Rambourg. "It was a real investigation a la Tex Murphy. A very tough case, definitely, but we never lost hope." Then along came Kick who, inspired by his love of System Shock 2, had been doing some digging of his own, and had been more successful. "I even contacted members of the original development team to get their side of the story," said Kick, describing his part in the investigation. "What I discovered was a mystery that needed to be solved."

System Shock 2 is Night Dive's [http://www.facebook.com/NightDiveStudios] only product, at the moment, though it is working on its own IP. "We are a team comprised of veteran developers with a passion for gaming," says Kick, "and we hope you'll enjoy what we have in store."

So what are you likely to get from GOG [http://www.gog.com/]? "With the help of Stephen, we've pulled out all of the stops to make this a virtual collector's edition," says Rambourg . "In addition to the soundtrack, the GOG.com version of the game will have concept art, maps of the Von Braun, a interview with Ken Levine, the first pitch document, and much more."

System Shock 2 will be available from 11 am GMT onwards, February 14th. The price tag is a mere $9.99.

Source: RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29]

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This is the best gaming news of the year so far. I would now like to order everyone to PLAY THIS GAME. It's amazing.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
*does happy dance... then continues typing to avoid a low content post warning... now continues to dance*

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Finally I can find out what all the fuss is about! Instabuy when it's available - fudge the trying to save monies and waiting for a sale. The folks responsible must be rewarded with custom for their sterling efforts.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
The real question is, will they be able to modify that frenchman's mod to update the graphics for this version. The last I heard, it only worked with the disc version. I'm still happy though. And the best news yet- Bioshock Infinite one month later! Everything's coming up Milhouse!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Here's a thing, when I first played System Shock 2, I was ten and it scared the ever loving bejesus out of me.

Now almost a decade and a half later, the prospect of playing it again is generating nothing but that same deep seated apprehension right down in the pit of my stomach.

Awesome!

Begs a question though, will the version they release be compatible with the various mods and effects updates floating round the web?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Question please: is much knowledge of the first System Shock required to "get" SS2, or is it all neatly contained?

My understanding is that there's c40 years between games and we control a different protagonist, but the antagonist is the same (Spoiler that box-art oh em eff gee!). This suggests it is not so essential to have played the first.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Teoes said:
Question please: is much knowledge of the first System Shock required to "get" SS2, or is it all neatly contained?

My understanding is that there's c40 years between games and we control a different protagonist, but the antagonist is the same (Spoiler that box-art oh em eff gee!). This suggests it is not so essential to have played the first.
I never played the original.

System Shock 2 is awesome.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
YYEEEEEESSS!!!

Now in all honesty, I've never played System Shock 2 before. I'm only hyped because I've heard so much good about it.

On the other hand, this will serve as a great game to wind down after my exam that is due friday...

Apr 5, 2008
This just happened to me.

This has been eagerly anticipated for soooo long. A Win7 working GoG version! This is an easy way for a company to get my money. (Another way would be to add the word "Baldur's" before any other word, though usually an aperture or entry/exit mechanism).

How tragic is it that probably the best game of 2013 is a decade old?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR48sJuGzmoxStJ55xxEpH88Nn6JJNt-rOCLB8nuIqHiR-GKsKG

I also squee'd really hard, in public. WHY DID THIS HAPPEN ON THE ONE DAY I'M NOT HOME?! ;__;

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
So now they just need to bring Magic Carpet 2, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and Beasts and Bumpkins to GoG and I will be a happy nostalgic person.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Begs a question though, will the version they release be compatible with the various mods and effects updates floating round the web?
Should be, most GoG games are but if you watch the Game Support section for it on GoG.com theres usually a few threads created pretty quickly covering mods if the game does have any issues.

Teoes said:
All neatly contained. Tbh, the first one wasn't that great, if you dont want to waste the time then just hop onto wiki and find out the overview/summary. :)

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Teoes said:

Nah SS2 stands tall on it's own, you don't need to have played the Original. There is a few nods but the intro outlines whats going on and it's easy to jump right in.

Obligatory "look at you hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, running though my hallways.

Also system shock 2 has the best audio logs ever, Bioshock has nothing on these babies, so much so that after a decade I can still remember the names of the best ones, Delecroix, Norris.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
YAY. Now I can play the game with everything working properly instead of using various mounting software and the cut scenes now working!