Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
"Mr. Antonsson, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
This just in: An Escapist forum poster thinks that Gogogic CEO Jonan Antonsson needs to remember what the word "gimmick" means. Because I'm that Escapist forum poster is sure that the word "gimmick" shouldn't apply to the majority of games that allowed for such a large market to develop. The large market, in which Mr. Antonsson is trying to make a a living.

Also, that poster thinks Gogogic CEO Jonan Antonsson should stop drinking alcohol through straws.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
CALM DOWN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't rise to the bait. This guy is entitled to his opinion, but I strongly disagree that single player is in any way a gimmick any more than books are. Given that he's Norswedish Icelandic it might be a bad choice of language rather than a malevolent statement.

Jonas Antonsson: As much as I am for increase accessibility, I'm firmly against dumbing down games or using psychological tricks as the only means to get people playing. With our latest game, Godsrule, we are trying to make sure we strike a great balance between access, deep gameplay and a great story. It's a high fantasy MMORTS and it will be the first mid-core MMO game that implements a real RTS where you're dependent on your skills as you take on opponents in real-time. And it has accessibility through both mobile and online platforms. During the day you can make things ready and at night you can sit down and RTS the hell out of someone! You can play five or six battles and you have an half hour to an hour session.
Whatever his opinions, this game doesn't sound too bad.

Playing a game is a multiplayer activity and can easily be seen as such when you watch young toddlers play by themselves. They invent someone to play with, someone that they talk to and interact with.
Good point, but that doesn't make singleplayer in any way a "gimmick". Many people prefer to play alone, and you have to recognise and respect that.

DeliciousTruffle said:
Ignore the introvert market, ignore 30-40% of humanity. Way to go!
And this, us introverts need games too! I'll be damned if I'm forced to play with people all the time.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I don't believe I could do justice in writing to just how wrong this random man is. I will let Dr. Cox have that honour.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
The bait is strong here.

I am giving this guy two weeks before the High Overminds of EA have him in their ranks.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008

Single player mechanic is a gimmick he says...

Very well I counter. Multi-player is a gimmick. MMO's are an even bigger gimmick cause it contains all of them usually.

If you want me to say it fine.
Every single game is a big fat fake gimmick that stole ideas from other things.

Leaving of course only pong, being the original video game. And still thats pushing it! It did steal tennis, or badminton.

See the spoiler for my reaction to this mans dumb asshat'ery

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah? And I say this guy is a "douchebag."

EDIT: No, that was not intended as an intelligent well thought out response. I can't think of one ATM.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Ugh, I thought Angry Joe was the only person with that mindset.

I'm one of the millions of people who play MMOs solo. Why? Because it's cheap & the world is huge. The other players are just there to make the world look realistically populated.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Company unknown, CEO unknown, make outrageous statement publicly....get media attention.

Lather balls, rinse, and repeat.

I hate all these leeches that have latched on to the "gaming" industry.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, yeah singleplayer games are totally a niche market.

Like, those independent guys who developed that game, god, what was it called, Skyrin I think it was?
And those guys who made Dragon Rage and Mass Affect or something like that.

I mean, yeah totally. Singleplayer games, completely niche market; barely any audience to speak of really.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Reykjavik-based Gogogic specializes in casual and social gaming
Wow, it's almost like this guy has an incredibly heavy bias and no qualifications to talk on how video games are "meant" to be played!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Come now, my fellow Escapists. Be nice.

Mr. Jonan is free to think whatever he wants about games. He's wrong, completely and totally in a very laughable way, but he's free to have his own thoughts on the matter.

He's also free to kiss the fattest part of my ass if he thinks anyone gives two shits and a fuck about what he thinks, given that he's the CEO of a "Social Gaming" company.

Jimmy Sylvers

Aug 30, 2011
PR stunt.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I can't imagine how this obvious PR stunt was considered newsworthy enough to post in the first place.

sca462069

Mar 6, 2012
Azuaron said:
Solo-Wing said:
First of all: Skyrim; your argument, Antonsson, is incorrect according to FACTS.

And MMO's are definitely the best investment, as a business decision, yes?

He seems to be unable to think of a game as anything other than a contest. Videogames go way beyond simple contests.

The only multiplayer game I've played in months was Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (speaking of gimmicks), and I only did that to get my galactic readiness level up for the single player.
I enjoy ME3's Multiplayer!

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'm sorry what company did you say you worked for? Gogogic? Nope never heard of you if you'll just wait there a second security will return you to your secure unit.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Everyone, join me in saying this: "Who?"
I was going to say the same thing. Never heard of him or that company.

I'm going to add: Where does this guy think the stereotype of gamers being closed off anti-social people came from.

All stereotypes have their roots in reality. The vast majority of games back in the day were single player mainly, if they did have multiplayer, it was just tacked on for most of them.

The original Mario Bros. technically has multiplayer, but back then you didn't see me begging my brother or parents to take up player 2. My thoughts then are pretty much the same now, why let other people get involved when I can have the game all to myself. I've always been a single player gamer, though I occasionally do multiplayer with friends.

I like having control, and for the most part, when I play multiplayer games, I don't feel like I have full control.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Single player mode is best mode.
Multiplayer is...well, it gets boring really fast. Because all you're really doing is playing the same couple of matches again and again. And even in games with cooperative features, there're only so many ways you can play with other people.