Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
teh_gunslinger said:
soren7550 said:
Welp, he's delusional. Or just plain stupid, hard to tell sometimes.

Better go off and tell the folks at Bethesda and BioWare[footnote]Yes, I'm aware ME3 has multiplayer, but hush you.[/footnote] that their games are only gimmicky fads.
*cough* TOR *cough* Dragon Age Facebook game *cough* Mass Effect social games integration for war readiness *cough* Elder Scrolls Online *cough*
S-shut up, you're making me look stupid! *tries to hid underneath sheets*

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Buuuuuuuuuullsh*t.

Single player and multiplayer games are pretty much seperate experiences. To say that one is inherently the proper game and the other is just a stick-on is not true in most cases. Sometimes multiplayer is a stick-on, if anything, but single player is where the game is almost always more immersive and amply better at thematic exploration and storytelling, amongst a bag of other things.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I see a lot of gimmicky tacked-on multiplayer modes in games these days...though that's more due to publishers forcing companies to divert resources to make a MP mode even when it's not in the game's best interesting :[ more local co-op would be good though

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Who's this guy again? What company is this again? Not exactly a household name there, is it? I suppose he's entitled to his opinion, but if single player is a gimmick, it's a gimmick that has lasted decades now. So, just a bit more substantial than a fad by this point, I think.

This is a guy who is a non-entity working from the old idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Problem is, he's wrong, there really is such a thing, and saying stupid stuff like this is a great way to get it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Pr0 said:
Company unknown, CEO unknown, make outrageous statement publicly....get media attention.

Lather balls, rinse, and repeat.

I hate all these leeches that have latched on to the "gaming" industry.
That's a good point. Why are we paying attention to this guy? Who is he, relatively speaking? Nobody. And why do we care why he thinks?

However I don't know how he can say that the first games were designed as multiplayer experiences when, except for maybe Pong, no they weren't. I mean Space Invaders wasn't multiplayer, Pac-man wasn't mutliplayer, Asteroids wasn't multiplayer...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
6th And Silver said:
[

Christ, people on this thread are so..defensive. The man is entitled to his opinion. It happens to be one that I (among many others, apparently) strongly disagree with, but he didn't say anything that was provably untrue so...What exactly is wrong with just agreeing to disagree?
he is entitled to his opinion

and we are entitled to point out how stupid it is

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Everyone has already expressed my view for me, but I'll reiterate anyway; Who are you and why are you so stupid?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Social game developer CEO says that single player games are a gimmick. Shocking.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
This thread seems to be full of people making snide comments and generally pointing and laughing and I don't approve of threads of that, even if I disagree with the stated opinions. So instead, I'm leaving. This guy made a controversial statement and he should have known it was only going to make people dislike him so he should have keep it to himself for professional reasons. Now, good day.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Wow. What a fuckin' idiot this guy is. Did he just forget about all the single player only games that people play?
of coarse YOU would say that Adam Jensen...

you and your silly little "Deus Ex: human revolution" (with no multiplayer to speak of) are no better than the gimmicy-est of the shovelware crap you find on the Wii!

GIMMICK BE GONE!!!!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Sounds as pretentious as Jonathon Blow...

Moronic as people thinking CoD is the be-all and end-all of video games...

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
Because everyone played the Spec Ops and Dead Space multiplayer, didn't they? Oh and imagine how much more poignant Shadow Of The Colossus would have become if you'd been running about the place with a mate.

This guy is wrong. Just very wrong.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
What? Just no. Would Mass Effect's story be improved by adding other -people- to your experience? Would Bioshock's? How about Silent Hill's? Nope, doesn't seem like it. Amnesia? Bastion? Nope. Are they just 'gimmicks'? Didn't think so. So why are single player experiences being thought of as such? It just doesn't make sense.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
Sounds as pretentious as Jonathon Blow...
Here's the thing - Braid was actually pretty freaking awesome, whereas, as has been demonstrated many times before, nobody knows who this guy is.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
And here i was thinking that multiplayer was a gimmick, often badly implemented i might add.