Going to the movies alone?

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Never been to the movies by myself, though sometimes I wish I had, cause the only people who ever invite me are loud, annoying, plot-spoiling-if-they-have-seen-it-before people who just can't sit down and keep silent.
Still, if they didn't invite me I wouldn't ever see a movie.

Apr 24, 2008
I saw Kill Bill by myself, I had already seen it...but I had a few hours to kill and thought it would be better than window shopping.

Other than that one instance, I haven't gone to the cinema by myself. But now I kinda feel like maybe I should.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
I've gone to a few films alone a long time ago, one of them was Miami Vice if I remember correctly. It sucks and feels awkward, especially if you're going to a comedy.

I love going to movies with my BFF (who's almost as obsessed with cinema as I am), silently doing our own Rifftrax and exchanging wtf? looks at plot twists. It's good to have a friend who goes to the cinema once a week.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Me? Alone in a darkened room with around a hundred strangers, around fifty of which would probably very much like to murder me? Hell no.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I don't. I rarely go to movies, and when I do it's usually a family event. I don't think the movies are usually worth te money, but for my family I'll do it.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
I went alone once, and it was during a sort of depression I was going through. I needed to get out and do something, and I sort of wanted to see Shutter Island. It kept my mind off the situation, and gave me something to think about.

There's nothing wrong with going alone, but I'd much prefer to go with friends.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Never did. Mayperhaps will in the future if I really wanted to see a movie very bad. But I always want to have someone to make jokes with if the movie sucks or to make references about the movie after we've seen it. Sort of a bonding thing.. can't explain.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
Never gone to the movies with less than two other people with me. If I wanted to watch a movie alone, I'd wait for the DVD.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
There's something odd about going to see a film in theaters by yourself, for me at least.

For me, it's just as social as going out to dinner or to the bar with people.
When I think of someone seeing a film alone, I think they're either a critic, or lonely.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
I was thinking about this the other day actually, and it occurred to me I never have. I guess I'd feel that I would look just too "lonerish".

Though one of my friends who I to the movies with most loves to talk and make jokes all throughout the movie, so that's kind of annoying at times....

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
I went once by myself, no idea what to see. I got kinda funny looks from other people, so I resolved never to do that again. Unfortunately, most of the time (every other week) when I go I bring a group of friends, who bring their friends.. etc. Usually we fill up a row. It's comforting to be surrounded by loads of people you know and to have one more thing in common.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I've never gone alone. I don't think there's any shame to be found in going to see a movie alone, but I'd rather stay home then.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Yeah. If I want to see a film and none of my friends can make it then I go alone. I'd prefer not to, but I have no issue with it. A lot of the time its films my family or friends don't want to see. I was the only one who wanted to go see Ponyo so I went to a Saturday morning showing on my own. There were only about 5 other people there.