Good Downer Endings (Spoilers)

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
The ending to The Darkness.
This. One of the most awesome game endings I've seen.

Also Republic Commando's ending was pretty good. It really fit in with the darker side of Star Wars the game was shooting for.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Red Dead: Redemption easily. But it's also one of my favorite endings to a game ever because it had the balls to do what it did (No spoilers obviously). It was nearly perfect, the only bad thing being that it let you free roam afterwards, would have been happy if you just had to re-load the last save before the final mission.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mcoffey said:
The US Ending in Dragon Age: Origins is kind of a downer.

Yeah you won and the day was saved, but it was still a really moving scene for me, especially since it was my first ending.

Everyone who knew you gathered around, Alistair giving your eulogy, close up on your Love Interest weeping. It got to me. It's even more depressing if you romanced Leliana, because it implies she spent a long time mourning you before committing suicide (Saying she "would be reunited with her love"
But she can regenerate herself. So if that is what happened, then Andraste is a major asshole. Leliana wanting to die but the Maker not allowing her to.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhall

I just didn't want it to end, I mean if you're at that point in the game then you've spent entire days worth of time playing this character and interacting with the NPC companions, especially if you started all the way from Baldur's Gate 1.

Then there are epilogue like this:

"...Eventually he formed his own adventuring company, the Justice Fist, striking fear in the hearts and faces of evil until, in his advancing age, he again set out across the Realms... and disappeared. And what of Boo? Well, what is Minsc without Boo? The two would never be separated, and some say they are together still, up amongst the stars where hamsters are giants and men become legends."

And this is the music playing in the background as you read them:

*Sigh* Playing Baldur's Gate from the very beginning of the first game and taking my character to the very end is easily my favourite rpg experience, I've done it a few times now yet getting to the end is still a bitersweet experience every time.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Fagotto said:
plugav said:
Planescape: Torment
Seconding this one. I mean you were immortal, and when you finally end it all, which certainly seems like a good thing to do considering what you being immortal does to other people, that happens to you D=

And you say your goodbyes to all your companions, which makes it sadder.

But it was really fitting in the end. Still... the message practically seemed like you couldn't avoid your fate despite 1000+ lifetimes or however long he existed.
I agree about the goodbyes, I consider it one of the most moving moments in gaming.

As for the intepretation, I now think it was less about inescapable fate and more about taking responsibility for your actions.
The Nameless One's original self did regret his deeds, but he refused to face their consequences - which caused more people to suffer as they died for his immortality.
At least that's how I remember it, it's been a few year since my playthrough.

RAKtheUndead said:
Fallout had one of the most impactful endings of any game I've played. Hearing Maybe playing over the ending with a new bittersweet tone created a book-end effect that I was very pleased with.
True. I did not see that ending coming, my young and still innocent mind was shattered.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
bullet_sandw1ch said:
(spoiler) arkham citys ending was bleak. the joker.... does he come back after every batman saga?
Ninja! Yeah Arkham City's wins, it's just strangely affectionate, and it has a clever Book End to it.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
L.A Noire had a REALLY good downer ending

Cole dies, The bad guys do the evil that they do do and L.A goes back to being the shite hole it was when you got there

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
The problem with these topics is that unless you've played every game possible, simply glancing through the topic will spoil stuff. Just knowing that certain games have downer endings is spoiler enough.

Anyway, I thought Enslaved's ending was a huge downer.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
UncleUlty said:
Persona 3, yeah you die but it ties into the death themes the game was shooting for.
This.
We might extend this to Persona 2 aswell. the theme of the games is about moving on, and the downer ending forcing characters to move on with their lives while heartbreaking is quite potent and nicely done.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I'd love an ending which involves either after defeating the big enemy's big thing, and after the credits (or before) the main character (and possibly cohorts) are captured and tortured / imprisoned after torture and the indicated events show clearly to the mind that this is probably going to be the end for them or they're going to suffer for everything they did for quite a while, or worse be indoctrinated and become part of that group.

Or perhaps that all happens AFTER they try to blow something up but never get the chance.

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
Mcoffey said:
The US Ending in Dragon Age: Origins is kind of a downer.

Yeah you won and the day was saved, but it was still a really moving scene for me, especially since it was my first ending.

Everyone who knew you gathered around, Alistair giving your eulogy, close up on your Love Interest weeping. It got to me. It's even more depressing if you romanced Leliana, because it implies she spent a long time mourning you before committing suicide (Saying she "would be reunited with her love"

Does the US version not have the ability to do morrigans ritual then?