Good Game, Well Played

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Basement Cat said:
What the heck does New Meta mean?
warmachine said:
Yeah, what does 'New meta' mean?
"Meta" is referring to the metagame of DotA, basically the decisions you make during picking before the actual game starts. A "New Meta" is a new set of habits that develops, usually after an update that rebalances the characters and makes certain combinations more viable in competitive play.

In this case, I think that the joke is that ">talking like this[footnote]that is, using the default phrases of DotA chat, which are their own jargon[/footnote]" is the New Meta, in that it's her best option to begin every conversation.
The joke might also be that spilling things like that is (sarcastically) the "new meta".

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I don't understand why people have such a huge problem with ignoring the trolls and assholes.
I agree, ignore systems are better than any kind of censorship scheme.

But I wish the system was more robust, having features like "click here and a person is ignored by X number of people (X being set by you) then you pre-emptively ignore them"

Or if someone on your friends list ignores then then you also ignore them, unless they are already on your friends list.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I think once you've discovered that your players are able to be assholes to each other even after you've taken away the ability to say anything but a handful of pre-packaged messages, it's time to pack it in.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
I don't understand why people have such a huge problem with ignoring the trolls and assholes.
Ignoring is just neutral. It doesn't actually discourage or punish them for being trolls and assholes, which is the response needed.

Extra Credits had a great episode [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9GwmOWoqo] on the kinds of things devs and platform-curators like XBL can do to curtail this sort of thing.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
There's a typo in the URL:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/12950-Criticaal-Miss-Dota-2-Well-Played

"Criticaal miss" , unless that's part of a joke that goes over my head.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Yeah, I don't get it either, I mean, If I'm playing league and dying a lot and someone pipes up and tells me to stop feeding, I just ignore them. It's not like I don't know I'm dying a lot, and now that person is a distraction. I don't respond to them unless it's to make a joke about something in the way they've phrased it. 90% of games I play the only thing I say is GG at the end, regardless of anything else.

Although a few times I've found myself intervening in harassment of others, but I usually make sure I'm doing well first since that usually influences how seriously the other person will take it.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wow. If "insults" like that get under your skin then you must be an ego with a skin. This doctor (full disclosure: not real doctor) recommends that you take a teaspoon of concrete and harden the fuck up.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Its strips like these that make me glad I don't play DotA. Sounds like nothing but monkeys flinging their own shit at everything.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
You know, I use to say stuff like good game, well played but now I'm always worried people will take it as sarcasm because of the amount of people who use it that way.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
If the game's community is so shitty, then why play the game at all?

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
IceForce said:
At some point the whole purpose of playing is to make things as awful as possible for yourself and everyone you're playing with. It's like the goddamn Dark Side.

Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
IceForce said:
Because the game is fun?
Because they're having fun playing regardless of the community?
Because who cares what some anonymous idiots say over the internet?

I can go on but I think you get the message.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
IceForce said:
So i can crush the bugs and make them rage quit? I absolutly love demolishing an imbecils trolling plan and winning the game despite them feeding couriers and themselves over and over just because they couldn't solo-lane centaur ...

2cool4u

Feb 24, 2014
BiH-Kira said:
But if I ignore them, how will the trolls know how better I am than them?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
dharmaBum0 said:
IceForce said:
At some point the whole purpose of playing is to make things as awful as possible for yourself and everyone you're playing with. It's like the goddamn Dark Side.

Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.
Sounds a lot like World of Tanks now that I think about it...