Good Games

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
I liked Fable 2, but you have to admit it really started to lose steam towards the end.
Really? Story-wise I thought it picked up.
Really?

... roughly around the time Reaver joins the "Hero Brigade". After that you all fight a big shard, which is fun I suppose. Then you go do that whole ritual, which ends very anti-climactically with Lucien conveniently arriving to fuck up everything you've been planning this whole time. Then there's a silly dream sequence or whatever that shit was where you shoot bottles and kick chickens and Rose won't shut up. Then you bugger off to where Lucien is, he talks for a bit, then you kill him (or in my case, Reaver kills him). No final boss or anything. Then you get to pick between those three options-- none of which I particularly liked (I picked the one where you save all the people who died). Then Theressa waves "goodbye" and it's over.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I think it's a bit arrogant to say that just because people dislike something popular that it's to appear cool. Westlife & Akon are popular. Do people hate them to look cool?
Halo is the equivalent of any number of mass marketed Teen boy baiting films or R&B Gangsta shite. It's all about the money and has all the soul of a dead rodent.
Some people just hate stuff because it's easy to hate.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
I liked Fable 2, but you have to admit it really started to lose steam towards the end.
Really?

... roughly around the time Reaver joins the "Hero Brigade". After that you all fight a big shard, which is fun I suppose. Then you go do that whole ritual, which ends very anti-climactically with Lucien conveniently arriving to fuck up everything you've been planning this whole time. Then there's a silly dream sequence or whatever that shit was where you shoot bottles and kick chickens and Rose won't shut up. Then you bugger off to where Lucien is, he talks for a bit, then you kill him (or in my case, Reaver kills him). No final boss or anything. Then you get to pick between those three options-- none of which I particularly liked (I picked the one where you save all the people who died). Then Theressa waves "goodbye" and it's over.
The Great Shard *was* the final boss. Everything after that was pure story. I found the Perfect World Scene (that's the dream one you mentioned) really touching actually. You missed out the fact that your Dog dies, something which genuinely upset and angered me. I really enjoyed the ending to Fable 2. The fact that Lionhead let me interrupt Lucien's dramatic monologue with a bullet to the head meant they were superior to most other games when I end up in that situation.

Theresa's "goodbye" was massive foreshadowing as well for what we can only assume is going to be continued in Fable 3.

But hey, opinions abound, you get to think what you like. I'm just putting forward my thoughts.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Really?

The Great Shard *was* the final boss. Everything after that was pure story. I found the Perfect World Scene (that's the dream one you mentioned) really touching actually. You missed out the fact that your Dog dies, something which genuinely upset and angered me. I really enjoyed the ending to Fable 2. The fact that Lionhead let me interrupt Lucien's dramatic monologue with a bullet to the head meant they were superior to most other games when I end up in that situation.

Theresa's "goodbye" was massive foreshadowing as well for what we can only assume is going to be continued in Fable 3.

But hey, opinions abound, you get to think what you like. I'm just putting forward my thoughts.
Of course, I'm not trying to sound belligerent or anything.

... but when a game ends, I like to see a bit of epilogue. I'm aware that you're able to go back into the game and continue playing after the credits, but it seems like all I got was a "Note from the People of Albion"... then, back to the old grind. To me, the end chunk of game was overshadowed by everything leading up to it. I thought the beginning, when you are a child with your sister in Old Town, was one of the best introductions to a game I've ever seen. Another part that stands out in my mind was traveling to the town of criminals (Westcliff?) and fighting in the arena. Then, obviously, the segment when you end up as a guard on the Spire was great. Going through the marshes to help Reaver and encountering the Shadow Court, running through the underground tunnels when Lucien's guards attack... all extremely exciting and memorable moments.

I suppose I may not be looking at it correctly-- since as you say, The Great Shard was technically the "final boss"... even though I prefer a final boss encounter to be an emotionally charged, explosive battle against a person I've been wanting to kill throughout the entire game. The story segments after that fight were, I suppose, the game's epilogue... but for some reason, it's difficult for me to accept it as such.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
mr mcshiznit said:
People also really hated Assassins Creed. I really liked that game. At least it tried to be a little different.
I found AC dull, but I can see why people like it. I didn't like the alpha, or the finished product 9 months later.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
A lot of hype causes unrealistic expectations. A lot of people get really disappointed because the game doesn't include multiple Kitchen Sinks.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
The problem is that it is all a matter of opinion. You can never make a game that everyone likes. I also really enjoyed Assassin's Creed.

I will comment on the Fable 2 hatred. I don't hate the game, but it have found it to be EXTREMELY buggy. It has crashed more than once on me (never had my Xbox crash until this game). The combat has been dulled down a little too much for me. The system of making people like you is no improvement over the original, in fact I think it is a little worse. The graphics are sub-par when compared to other games out there, but graphics alone don't make a game. I actually got a little bored with it and started a second playthrough of Dead Space to get some achievements.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
LucanDesmond said:
Nobody in the world can make ANYTHING that will be liked by EVERYONE. Its impossible. People will like to play the games they are comfortable with playing. I LOVE Fable 2, I have already beaten once, and almost a second time. But I know people that hate it. I don't understand how anybody can hate it, but they do.

Just like how I can't understand how anybody can believe in the republican economic plan. At least 1 person will read that sentence and wonder how I could believe in anything ELSE. It's a difference of opinion, and in the end there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" answer, there is simply which answer, or in the case of this thread: which GAME, fits best into YOUR life.
I tried to make a secret code out of all your capital words, but I just got Anything Everyone Love Else Game Your.

LucanDesmond

Oct 19, 2008
Cheesus333 said:
LucanDesmond said:
Nobody in the world can make ANYTHING that will be liked by EVERYONE. Its impossible. People will like to play the games they are comfortable with playing. I LOVE Fable 2, I have already beaten once, and almost a second time. But I know people that hate it. I don't understand how anybody can hate it, but they do.

Just like how I can't understand how anybody can believe in the republican economic plan. At least 1 person will read that sentence and wonder how I could believe in anything ELSE. It's a difference of opinion, and in the end there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" answer, there is simply which answer, or in the case of this thread: which GAME, fits best into YOUR life.
I tried to make a secret code out of all your capital words, but I just got Anything Everyone Love Else Game Your.
lol

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I haven't heard much hate for fable 2.

TFU got some hate, but that was warrented, and it didn't deserve anymore hate then it actually got.

when the real Fable 2 reviews started pouring out, I was EXPECTING to see it bomb. Same with Fallout 3. That didn't happen. Both of those games seemed to whether the storms wonderfully.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
I didn't play Fable 2 so alot of what I'm saying will have to do with Fable 1

from what I could tell it was an O.K. experience, but it played it's "choices" mechanic like it was something original... which it wasn't, most Western RPG's have been incorporating multiple paths in their games since the mid '90s. The big problem with this is that when you base your game completely off of an almost staple feature, then you end up with a very generic game. my oppinion carries over to Halo and alot of other popular games. Believe it or not, killing things in an FPS is not original, it is a staple.

I find that most big games arent bad, but simply very generic, people praise a generic game because they feel safe with it and most people like security.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Amnestic said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Really?

Of course, I'm not trying to sound belligerent or anything.

... but when a game ends, I like to see a bit of epilogue. I'm aware that you're able to go back into the game and continue playing after the credits, but it seems like all I got was a "Note from the People of Albion"... then, back to the old grind. To me, the end chunk of game was overshadowed by everything leading up to it. I thought the beginning, when you are a child with your sister in Old Town, was one of the best introductions to a game I've ever seen. Another part that stands out in my mind was traveling to the town of criminals (Westcliff?) and fighting in the arena. Then, obviously, the segment when you end up as a guard on the Spire was great. Going through the marshes to help Reaver and encountering the Shadow Court, running through the underground tunnels when Lucien's guards attack... all extremely exciting and memorable moments.

I suppose I may not be looking at it correctly-- since as you say, The Great Shard was technically the "final boss"... even though I prefer a final boss encounter to be an emotionally charged, explosive battle against a person I've been wanting to kill throughout the entire game. The story segments after that fight were, I suppose, the game's epilogue... but for some reason, it's difficult for me to accept it as such.
I made you click a spoiler, lulz

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Portoparty said:
I didn't play Fable 2 so alot of what I'm saying will have to do with Fable 1

from what I could tell it was an O.K. experience, but it played it's "choices" mechanic like it was something original... which it wasn't, most Western RPG's have been incorporating multiple paths in their games since the mid '90s. The big problem with this is that when you base your game completely off of an almost staple feature, then you end up with a very generic game. my oppinion carries over to Halo and alot of other popular games. Believe it or not, killing things in an FPS is not original, it is a staple.

I find that most big games arent bad, but simply very generic, people praise a generic game because they feel safe with it and most people like security.
you can't judge a game based entirely on an earlier game in the series

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
I imagine my game would be like far cry 2 but with less bugs, more guns/highly customizable guns, better cars/car physics, night vision goggles, sweet weapon accessories, and character customization. maaaaaybe with rpg type stuff like marksman skill, speed(for various things like reloading and running) mechanical skills, driving skills and the like. maybe special clothing stuff like body armor and ghillie suits. my weapons would be like as customizable as they are in MGS4. and more than one melee weapon! anyway, far cry 2 was as close to my ideal game as i have seen so far.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
I'mm not judging Fable 2... I thought that was obvious with:
"I haven't played Fable 2"
The games are most likely similar but I'm giving my oppinion of the first one mostly because the games were widely released to similar reactions and I imagine that most features were carried over to the second game.

besides, the question isn't "what did you think of Fable 2?" it was "Why are good games given a bad rap?" or something of the sort.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
I really like Final Fantasy X-2, everyone seems to hate it for being upbeat and not taking itself super seriously like X did. People are missing out on the best version of the ATB system the series has ever had, the game even brought back the staple job system and still people complained because they 'Sailor Moon change' into different classes. The story wasn't remarkable sure, but I really found it fun and refreshing.

Of course people are entitled to their opinion, but c'mon, at least give it a chance...see what it can do for you (oh man that was terrible).

SP MeaslyBinkie

Aug 27, 2008
As other people have said I don`t think they hated it maybe dissapointed like myself story was good but a bit short and the side quests have been cut down to maybe half of what there was in the original, jobs are a nice addition but its quicker to buy property and since every 5 mins it makes gold thus making it a bit more unbalanced than the first but it is alright game nonetheless.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Some people feel the need to "hate" mainstream opinion, hence if EVERYONE says its good, clearly they're stupid sheep and the game must suck etc. It's the need to feel different and special, also many people exagerate minor gripes they may have on the evil opinion multiplier that is teh intarwebz.

It's like how people keep saying Halo sucks, no it doesn't suck, it's a good trilogy, it's fanbase sucks and the devotion to building Halo clones sucks, not the games themselves.
I must supply my concurrant affirmation of this mans statement.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'm disappointed with most games today and it has nothing to do with originality or story because that isn't what makes a good game to me. It's either something to do with bad controlling or the game just isn't challenging!

I didn't mind Fable 2 giving you so many things to do but most missions just felt like chores and I had already beaten and bought everything in 2 days. I felt like I didn't get my moneys worth.

However with Halo it is a simple shooter that is action packed, difficult and a little scary. Even though Fable 2 had so many quests and stuff I have already had enough but Halo was so fun I could still play it today. I don't have anything against RPG games cause I loved Ocarina of Time.

So if I was to make a game I wouldn't focus so much on loads of spells, items and weapons but to make a more action packed game that is long and challenging. And for the people that dislike it I would make a forum they could discuss it on and see what interesting ideas they could come up with.