Good ol' games for good ol' gutless computers

Yooz

Mar 12, 2009
http://www.ripten.com/2009/05/07/ten-great-pc-games-that-your-computer-will-run/

whiteheadwa

Feb 25, 2009
total annihilation and expansions ftw a HUGE game level wise for only 33mb of space!!!! one of the greatest rts's ever!!!!!!

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
riftinducer said:
I got Deus Ex and System Shock 2 working alright (SS2 did require a hell of a lot of messing around though, but on the right side I did get the improved model and texture mods working great) on a Vista machine, but Thief 2 is an absolute ***** - I can't remember why, but all the shadows are varying shades of green. Playing it on an old computer worked wonders (it doesn't even have a video card).
I'll have to try it. I remember SS2 working on CP, but it ran just slow enough to make it a chore to play. It was like playing in light syrup.

Oh, to add to the list, probably been said, but Fallout 1 and 2. And if you're planning on playing Doom, I'd go with Zdoom or Zdoomgl if you can't stand looking at pixels.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I still love all my old games, and play things like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Sim City 2000, Shadowcaster, Diablo 2, TES:Arena+Daggerfall, Ultima, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Monkey Island, Duke Nukem 3D, Cannon Fodder, Simon the Sorceror, Jagged Alliance 2 and many more.

I'm trying to collect up all the old ones that I sold or lost in years gone by, and on top of that, trying to play all those games which passed me by the first time around.

Thankfully there are places like Good Old Games [http://www.gog.com/] where I can get my fix, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Neverwinter Nights shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Maybe consider a demo/ brief temporary pirate of it to see how it runs for you.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Freelancer, Diablo, Diablo II, NoX, Seven Kingdoms, Heroes of Might & Magic III, Full Throttle, all of those are great for older computers

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
When I ran XP though a Mac program called Parallels, it allowed really limited graphics, so I only had one game:

Wolfenstein 3D on the DosBox emulator.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
The Curse of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy Series, Ravenloft Strahd's Possession, Darkseed 1 & 2, Betrayal At Krondor, Soldiers At War, Fallout, Sudden Strike. Just some ideas.

jazmonkey

Nov 26, 2008
X-wing, TIE fighter and X-wing vs. TIE fighter. Kinda miss those games...

And Escape Velocity Nova. Kinda pricy for what it is, but they did finally release it for Windows machines.

Bob Saget

Jul 24, 2008
I've been playing a ton of old DOS games lately, mainly Rise of the Triad, Out of This World, Duke Nukem 1-2, Jazz Jackrabbit, Blake Stone, Blood, BioMenace, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D and a ton more, and I'm not even counting the old post-DOS/early Windows games I play. If you want to play those aforementioned games, you may want DOSBox though.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
I have a thing for the Origional Xcom game, but even on XP have trouble playing ( crashes ).
I just wish you could play older games from time to time without all the hassle.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
lordcookies said:
How about the first Unreal? (not the Tournament) One of the best fps i've ever played.
Yes! I still love this game. They should continue the series, it had potential to make an intriguing stoty.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
X-COM: UFO Defense (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown outside the U.S.)

This is one of the greatest strategy games ever made, and will run on any PC as it was released in 1988. According to Abandonia [www.abandonia.com], it's an abandon-ware game, and you can download it there for free...

I think you can also get it on Steam for a nominal fee...

EDIT:
imperialwar said:
I have a thing for the Origional Xcom game, but even on XP have trouble playing ( crashes ).
I just wish you could play older games from time to time without all the hassle.
Try using DOS Box [http://www.dosbox.com/]...

vede

Dec 4, 2007
Hm. You want games that require little in terms of computer abuse, and that are oriented toward a more mental challenge than a reflex one?

My friend, you need to play <a href=http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/archive/index.php>Rogue. My personal favorite from that list (which contains, I think, every rogue version that hasn't been lost from existence, except the iPhone one) is winrogue0_1, and then my second favorite is Rogue 3.. Other versions might be better for you, though. The primary difference is how heavy they are on the RPG elements. The two I mentioned are more hack-n-slash in nature (hack-n-slash in gameplay, but if you don't learn how to be very intelligent with the items you use and how you use them, you'll never get anywhere, especially after level 10 or so), but the others are more RPG-heavy, with races and classes and such. I prefer the simplicity, but you might be different.

And if your computer is younger than 40 years old, it can run it.

Also, Deus Ex.