Good Old Games Will Be "Done" In 250 Games

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, if there is still a demand for it dosntm ean will all dissapear straight away!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I want them to get a copy of Shogun Total War optimized for newer OS's as my copy doesn't allow me to do any RTS elements

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Well, what Qualifies as an old Game? Pong is an old game, but I found the orange box in the value bin at like 5 dollars, and that only came out a couple years ago.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
But, every year more games become "old", so this statement is invalid. In ten years, they could have Mass Effect.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I wonder how the definition of "old" factors in. Surely age matters not in games. See the revamps of "old" games for the newer markets examples as follows: Super Mario Allstars - SNES, Resident Evil 1 - Gamecube, Varied Final Fantasy chapters for DS (yes I called them chapters), Monkey Island 1 & 2 - Various, TMNT Turtles in Time HD.
So, how do you really judge a game as old when it seems more like companies will just redo the graphics and maybe add some voice acting or cinematics where there were none?
Now granted we're talking just PC games, but then who knows when someone will dig up the corpses of Kings Quest or Space Quest for cash-infusion Frankensteining?
Will they then be considered "old"?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Via Twitter: [http://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/25712063962]
GOG said:
So just to clarify something from that GamesIndustry.biz article. At ~450 games we will NOT be done. We'll just have a packed catalogue!
Developer reversing, keep clear...

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Digikid said:
The definition of what is or is not a good game depends on the USER...not the site.

Here is an example. I hate the game World of Warcraft. It is a horrible game that sucks in mindless zombies around the globe. HOWEVER there are people out there that love it.

I love the Halo games.....but then there are people that hate them as well.

That said a site cannot say what is a good game or not. It is in the eyes of the person that chooses to play that game.
Perhaps, but "Good Old Games" sounds way better than "Games that, in the past, were lauded by both fans and critics".

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Hubilub said:
Then when they finally get 500 games:

"PSYCH BITCHES! WE WENT BACK IN TIME AND MADE MORE OLD GAMES! WE CAN CONTINUE FOREVER!"

I'm fucking calling it!
One problem, on their way back, they're going to stop off here and call it 2 min before you and due to the whole relative time thing, we won't see it until they actually do it.

oranger

May 27, 2008
SteelStallion said:
That makes no sense. The good old games library grows larger as more time passes and more titles are considered "good old".

Another few years and a lot of the early-mid games of this decade will be good old stuff.
I think it was to be taken as semi-subtle criticism...they're probably -playing- these "good old games" and then comparing them to the new shit.

Feb 4, 2010
A lot of the games they're picking up now were developed prior to digital distribution and, without a service like this, would be lost. That's not really the case with games that have come out in the last five years. If something is on Steam now it's unlikely it'll disappear and if it's on Steam how will gog compete?

That's not to say they can't, it's just that the current services aren't likely to go anywhere nor will the games they offer. Now if Valve and the other developers who put their new games up on Steam don't update their roster so everything is compatible with Windows 9 then Good Old Games may have a chance to step in, otherwise their service will have to evolve once they've picked up every worthwhile game from the last 20+ years.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
strum4h said:
They really need to decide to be dead or alive. Not both.
What if they want to be undead?

OT:
Give me a call when they put System Shock 2 and Planescape: Torment on that site.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Via Twitter: [http://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/25712063962]
GOG said:
So just to clarify something from that GamesIndustry.biz article. At ~450 games we will NOT be done. We'll just have a packed catalogue!
Developer reversing, keep clear...
To be fair it makes perfect sense to clarify their position especially since people reacted in hilariously adverse ways to their last big PR announcement.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
7th Guest and 11th Hour. For the love of all that is mighty, they're the very definition of vaporware and are the two titles I've been holding my breath for since I first heard of Good Old Games.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Sebenko said:
Yep, because the games we have now will always be new or terrible.
Ironic Pirate said:
But, every year more games become "old", so this statement is invalid. In ten years, they could have Mass Effect.
Sgt. Sykes said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Won't new games become old by the time they fill their catalog
Exactly. Every year/few month they can add good games which are already, say, 2 years old.

'Old' is not really a problem. 'Good' is the problem.
Straying Bullet said:
How is this logical? PC games keep coming out thus there will be always some classics that linger for years to come. So in all honesty they won't cap unless PC games aren't developed anymore.
But the games coming out today are available on Digital Distribution platforms such as Steam. In theory these games will never be lost because the games will always be available there. From that standpoint I think he has a point. Once they catch up to the games being released today they will have nowhere to go.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Starke said:
Honestly, I just want to see System Shock 2 on their list.
That is, sadly, not happening. None owns the copyright to System Shock 2 in its entirity so no one can release it legally. The same thing goes with Grim Fandango.
Grim Fandango? Noooo...NOOOOOOO!

Stupid Grim Fandango doesn't work on my computer. I was really hoping for a cheap, remastered version that would work with new computers. Hell while they're at it they could put in mouse support, the walking in that gamem is terrible.

200+ games sounds about right if they really were to only pick the best. Right now they have some mediocre stuff in there as well (not terrible but not exactly groundbreaking), so unless they want to rebrand themselves as DecentOldGames.com then 200 sounds about right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hubilub said:
Then when they finally get 500 games:

"PSYCH BITCHES! WE WENT BACK IN TIME AND MADE MORE OLD GAMES! WE CAN CONTINUE FOREVER!"

I'm fucking calling it!
I totally believe it, too.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well how far back do they want to go? I mean Elite? C64 games?

What about all the WADs and Mods for those classics games. Difficult as many released as freeware, integrating them now must be hard just in terms of getting permission to make it worth while profit wise (emulation).