Good Scenes In Otherwise Mediocre Films/Comics/Etc?

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
The show The Walking Dead. I enjoyed the first season. It wasn't amazing, but it had good pacing, emphasized the characters, and showed some zombies. Then the second season came and I just lost interest.

But there was that scene on Hershel's farm (when things were actually happening) where the barn had been opened and the survivors were knocking zombie heads off one by one. And then the little girl came out, and Shane didn't know what to do. Rick, having been challenged for leadership the whole time, got to step forward and show people that being leader didn't mean you could just boss people around. It meant making hard choices. Having to put the girl down emphasized the sacrifices Rick continued to make. And then the season just sort of petered off, Shane didn't get much character development, etc.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
While I didn't care for the movie as a whole, I found the following scene from Bad Boys II pretty funny:

Bad Boys II - Store Scene[/youtube]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
<youtube=watch?v=-dMA8NmdyW4>
Terrible, terrible movie, but really good scene, also directly referenced in Guardians of the Galaxy, for some reason.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Ok, it isn't one scene for this its the entire movie. Crow 2: City of Angels, being possibly one of the worst sequels storywise I've ever seen, had the most interesting and awesome cinematography... The movie was one good script off from being fairly awesome. Maybe not Brandon Lee's Crow (RIP), but a damn good sequel... its like all the artistic integrity went to the scenes and shot composition, and they tossed out a script scribbled on napkins and on the backs of envelopes.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
faefrost said:
The Phantom Menace. The duel between Darth Maul and Qui Gon Gin and Obi Wan. For that one glorious set piece Star Wars lived anew. The amazing John Williams score sent shivers down our spines as we saw the characters finally going all out and showing some emotion. Shame it was only for that one sequence. The rest of the movie? A burning bag of dog poop left on the doorstep.
I've got to agree with you on that one. That duel was pretty amazing. I also really liked the final showdown between skywalker and kenobi in episode III for pretty much the same reasons. There's a line where obi-wan yells to anakin about supposed to be the chosen one or something, and it gave me just a glimpse of what the prequel trilogy could have been had the scripts been better and if the actors were allowed to emote more than bricks. I loved that moment, and it made me hate the film so much more for it.

Good reminder of how great John Williams is as a movie music composer, though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Friv said:
Street Fighter is mostly a glorious, horrible, mess. So much fun, but almost never deliberately. But there is one scene...

which is honestly really cool.
Really, most of the scenes with Bison were good. Raul Julia just went all out on the grandiose in that.

It's a pity that there wasn't a better movie built around it, but Bison was....magnificent.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
faefrost said:
The Phantom Menace. The duel between Darth Maul and Qui Gon Gin and Obi Wan. For that one glorious set piece Star Wars lived anew. The amazing John Williams score sent shivers down our spines as we saw the characters finally going all out and showing some emotion. Shame it was only for that one sequence. The rest of the movie? A burning bag of dog poop left on the doorstep.
Honestly, any of the Star Wars prequels had some awesome choreography and the lightsaber battles were all pretty good. Still, Ray Parks took that one up a notch.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
As horrible as that Doom movie was, that first person shooting scene was pretty darn sweet. Felt like a nice homage to the Doom games in general.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Okay, so LEGEND.
Fucking HORRIBLE movie, but every single scene with the Devil rocks.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
The ending to Meet the Feebles.
The whole movie just seems to be gross for its own sake; excessive violence that has no meaning, anthropomorphic animals having (uncensored) sex, drugs, eating shit, venereal diseases... It's like a puppet Pink Flamingos.
But at the ending, when the star of the show Heidi goes on a massacre with an M60, it actually manages to be excellent. It's not played for laughs or to be awesome, its a very realistic depiction of someone snapping and going postal. Also helping is the fact that it's the only part of the film where I actually feel for these characters and want them to come out O.K. and at the end of it, when she's killed almost everyone in the theatre including her cheating boyfriend she then sadly sings along to her greatest hit as the police close in.
It's surpirsingly eloquent and poetic, and nothing like you'd expect from the rest of the movie. It actually made me feel rather sad that it all ended that way, and is the only thing I would recommend about this otherwise awful piece of trash.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Silvanus said:
The battle of Geonosis in Star Wars: Episode II, I would say. The rest of the film is fairly poor.
For me that was the worst art of the movie. Yes even worse than the love story stuff. That battle is the moment where the force died. I know we had already had the force reduced to talking bacteria but the force was still powerful (even iff the jedi and sith never really did anyting with it). The trade fed for all their droids and tech were still scared shitless by only 2 jedi.

And then came attack of the clones, which had jedi dropping like flies. It ruined the jedi for me and made it seem like the force did not matter what so ever. I had always belived that the reason the rebel alliance was able to exsist in the first place was that when Palpatine made his move, he was able to kill the jedi but doing so basicly took a big chunk of his army and that is why it took a good 17-18 years before he was in a strong enough position to start dealing with the allience but attack of the clones and revenge of the Sith never really made the Jedi feel like any kind of threat.

OT:
I am a big Green Lantern fan and as such to say I was disappointed with the movie would be a massive understatment. However there were two things I liked. Two little things I think they got right. Casting Geoffrey Rush and Michael Clarke Duncan as Tomar-Re and Kilowog. They are two of my favorite GLs and I think there voices were perfect.

someperson1984

Nov 15, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
The battle for Klendathu and the Whiskey Outpost attack from the movie Starship Troopers.

The rest of the movie was 20 somethings pretending to be teens, soldiers or pilots, meme fodder, really stupid tactics, propaganda, strategy, and just in general a moronic humanity.

Hence why I prefer the animated series, at least you don't feel like cheering when the bugs start eviscerating the fucktards.

The two battles are almost worth it though.
I seems like you think the film wanted to be taken seriously. It absolutely does not.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
The battle for Klendathu and the Whiskey Outpost attack from the movie Starship Troopers.

The rest of the movie was 20 somethings pretending to be teens, soldiers or pilots, meme fodder, really stupid tactics, propaganda, strategy, and just in general a moronic humanity.
its differen't if you veiw it as satire (which I think might have been the idea) I mean solders letting kids play with guns and having them stomp on bugs....it seems obvious

OT: exactly two moments in the Uncharted series (in fact theyre both in uncharted 3)

1. a charachter refering to the Villan in UC3 as "scary poppins"

2. Sully yelling "this is why we can't have nice things!" as the obligatory "everything falling apart" chase happens

Clearwaters

Jul 14, 2014
I've forgotten about every part of the 2010 Medal of Honor reboot except for one particular section where you have to hold out in a small destroyed house with enemies attacking from all sides. That part was cool. Pretty sure the building is destructible as well so the little cover you have to start with gets even smaller.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Halo: Reach had a pretty kick ass ending. Hey random first person shooter developer. If the character is going to die in your ending, do it like Halo: Reach's by blending gameplay and story efficiently. Unfortunately it ends with a cut to black which makes fans come up with stupid theories going "a Pelican came up and saved him" when you can't hear any such noises for the time frame. But oh well. The rest of the game was mediocre with some glimpses of a better game dying to break through.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It was a God-awful movie that no one should ever see because it's terrible and you'll feel terrible for watching it. I'm conflicted on this scene because it shows off just how much freaking potential this movie in the hands of a good director (rather than Uwe "Why do I keep getting work?" Boll) could have had.

This scene (and to a lesser extent the "Beauty Salon" scene) is this only greatness to come out of Rampage
Do not let the scene fool you. The movie is terrible and should not be watched by anyone ever. However, this scene is the only one that actually gets a pretty damn good point across about our relationship with mass shootings. If the rest of the movie had at least been competent it could have coasted on this scene. Unfortunately, the movie is bad and Uwe Boll should feel bad.

DAMN YOU UWE BOLL!!! So much potential pissed away by your shitty directing.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I wouldn't say it's a mediocre film. It's a film that it decided that it should add everything into it without even considering the pacing. It killed itself while it could've been a classic. However, there is that one scene that just hits home run so hard? It's also hard to believe when you see who's acting it.

In the movie Funny People, there's a scene where Adam Sandler is having a major breakdown. His disease and his medication are killing him. Sandler pretty much nailed the lack of hope in this scene so perfectly that it made me a bit teary.

That's the problem with Funny People. For every gold scene there is, there is about 3 scenes that serves no purpose and makes things awkward for everyone. That, and that horrible 3rd act.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I really liked how much power they managed to drag out of the 360 for Halo 4. Sure, there was a lot of texture pop in, but for enclosed environments like that first level, the game looked stunning.

The city in GTA IV looked really alive.

The Frontier in Assassin's Creed 3 was HUGE.

Skyrim/ Fallout: New Vegas had great modding capabilities.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
That one scene in "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" where Green Lantern shows up and reminisces about life on Earth, and pondering whether he should step in to save it, while lazily flying around a model of the solar system. He ultimately decides that it is worth saving, and reaches out towards the model of Earth. We then cut to a scene on Earth, where giant green hands have appeared in the sky, and it becomes evident that Green Lantern is not standing in a scale model of the solar system, but is standing in the real solar system, and has made himself cosmically huge.

...and the Question/Green Arrow debate bits. Those were pretty good. And maybe Captain Marvel's death scene. Other than that, the entire book was wretched, and wretchedly drawn.

...okay, the scene where they break Plastic Man out of prison was pretty cool too. And the Flash. And...

...gosh, you know what, I'm not sure I remember why I hate this book as much as I did.

Oh. Right.

As long as I'm on a Frank Miller kick, I really loved the art direction for "The Spirit", and the opening sequence was really pretty outstanding.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
@Friv: I will admit, that was a very good scene, in fact, Raul Julia was just a tremendous performer in a fairly bad movie, but I love other scenes too. This one in particular kind of reminds me of the humor of Guardians, although I can't pinpoint why: