Good space horror movies?

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I appreciate all the suggestions, am making a small list to throw at my local dvd rental. Only one nitpick though: people keep recommending movies I referenced to in my original post; it's kind of a no brainer I've seen them already if I'm saying "more like this" :p

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, upon seeing the title I was just gonna say Alien, but half the people here said the same thing.

J4D3N

Jun 6, 2010
In my opinion 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the best films of its genre, Its also something that at some point in the near future could be a reality.

onikage567

Sep 17, 2008
You should try out a film called Eden Log. I had no idea what it was about but it turned out to be a really dark, atmospheric, claustrophobic space sci-fi. I've watched all the films you're using as examples and I really think Eden Log is one you will enjoy.

Dystopia

Jul 26, 2009
Definitely recommending the Alien movies and Pandorum. Still, it'll always be Event Horizon for me...

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Based on what's been said I'll go down tomorrow and see if they've got Pandorum and Pitch Black available. Barring that I'll bust out my Alien Quidrilogy boxset for a good old nostalgia trip. Btw when I said "Aliens" in the first post I meant Alien in the plural, as in "I've seen all the Rockys" or "I've seen all Spidermans" (gosh those sound so wrong to say but are technically grammatically correct), I kinda didn't consider people would take "Aliens" referring to the actual title and think I didn't watch the best ones in the series.

Many thanks to all.

Code_Red

Jun 25, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Dunno about horror.
But a great sci-fi EVERYONE should watch, is MOON :)
I completely agree, brilliant film.

Pitch Black is well worth watching.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Pandorum was a really good, and creepy movie. Pitch Black, though not truly horror, is another good one and worth at least one viewing.

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
Twilight Zone gets a mention

Side thought: Why does everybody hate Skyline? I thought it was alright; not brilliant or life changing, but not terrible either

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
If you liked The Thing, you might also like Splinter from 2008. It's set on Earth, so it's not a space horror movie, per se, but it's about a (possibly alien) fungal parasite that does...bad things to the people it infects. It's a great example of how to do an effective horror film on a low budget with almost no set. (It takes place mostly in a gas station, but it's no less scary for that.)

Brutanos

Apr 4, 2011
You mention something like Dead Space. Why not see Dead Space: Downfall then. It's the animated prequel of the Dead Space game. Although not a very long movie (about 1 hour), it's crammed full of action and gore, and doesn't get borring for a single second.

Another animated space sci-fi horror-like movie is Chronicles of Riddic: Dark Fury. It takes place right after the Pitch Black movie, and shows what happens up until the Chronicles of Riddic movie.

Ghosts of Mars is also a somewhat okay space/horror movie.

Treleus

May 29, 2012
For straight-up space horror:

Alien
Event Horizon
The Thing (horror from space)

For psychological space horror: Sunshine

For action space horror: Aliens

Alien 3's an odd one, and anything after that is garbage with the exception of the first AvP--it's an okay action flick. AvP:R is just a poor alien invasion and-also Versus movie. As far as versus horror movies go, stick with Freddy vs. Jason.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Pandorum was decent enough, if you know the tropes you'll figure out the ending an hour in, but it's really...psychological, if that's a descriptive term. Cube sucked out loud in my opinion at least. Splice...well, if you're comfortable with an androgynous mutant raping everything in sight, go for it. Strange, strange movie, that.

straymatter

May 1, 2012
Try Cargo: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

Also, when your eyeballs are singed from staring at the screen too long, you might try Richard Russo's Ship of Fools and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow.