BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
-Lady Ninja with long hair that can't move faster then a walk.....check
At least in the remakes, the robot ninjas can dash, jump long distances, or have built in rockets in their backs. With the arcade version, they built to make the players feel like Terminators, than agile ninjas.

-Robot ape guys....check
What's more loveable than an a ape? A robot ape! Actually, those guys are hunchbacks with cybernetic implants.

-Most soldiers only get a knife....check.
They love a challenge....If you look at their eyes in the arcade version, they're either red or bluish-grey. It's implied the foot soldiers are either cyborgs, or nanite infected. The game keeps it ambiguous.

Mafia Snipers....check
Guess they're on President Banglar's pay roll.

-The military shells their own base....check.
Sacrifices must be made. Everyone is expendable.
-Guys with flame breath.....check
Rule of cool.

-Tanks that get bored and wander off after you knife them enough.....check.
??????? I got nothing.

I mean, the list goes on but yeah, best not to think too hard about arcade games.

Actually, it was made in the 80's so that tracks.
Do whatever you can to standout. Plus, robot ninjas! The 90's did the same thing or went even wilder.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Do whatever you can to standout. Plus, robot ninjas! The 90's did the same thing or went even wilder.
Fair enough. I'd forgot a lot of this stuff. Maybe I need to go play the Capcom Arcade collection sitting on my Switch and refresh myself. The last time I played it was to run through Carrier Airwing that and game's final boss invovles you fighting
-A really big rocket
-More parts of said Rocket
-A Space shuttle on top of said Rocket
-A Satellite with lasers and smaller satellites in Orbit after you blow up said space shuttle. Because jets can fly in space, doncho?

It's both cool and silly as fuck.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Either it slipped by QA or the translators had a kinda racist sense of humor with some of that prologue text.
If I remember correctly, all the arcade region versions are identical. I think it's just lazy translation, and the QA not caring.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Either it slipped by QA or the translators had a kinda racist sense of humor with some of that prologue text.
Do you mean epilogue text? And the 80s and 90s were a time of excellent translations.

"Someone set up us the bomb!" "All your base are belong to us!"
"Welcome to die!"

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Do you mean epilogue text? And the 80s and 90s were a time of excellent translations.

"Someone set up us the bomb!" "All your base are belong to us!"
"Welcome to die!"
"Welcome to die!" hits that wierd spot of being so dumb but also so funny at the same time I'd actually prefer it not be changed.

See also "I, Garland, will knock you all down" from the OG Final Fantasy or "You Spoony Bard!" from FF4.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
"Welcome to die!" hits that wierd spot of being so dumb but also so funny at the same time I'd actually prefer it not be changed.

See also "I, Garland, will knock you all down" from the OG Final Fantasy or "You Spoony Bard!" from FF4.
Spoony bard is actually a correct description by Tellah based on how he views the said bard at that point in the story so it doesn't actually need changing. It's just a word that people aren't familiar with.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Spoony bard is actually a correct description by Tellah based on how he views the said bard at that point in the story so it doesn't actually need changing. It's just a word that people aren't familiar with.
I was always under the impression it was a woolseyism and the original word was something closer to "You asshole" but I admit I haven't looked into it in decades so I could be totally wrong here. It does look off because spoony as an insult comes across more silly then insulting.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Spoony: sentimentally or foolishly amorous.

Given that Tellah is pissed with Edward for eloping with Tellah's daughter, it makes complete sense within the context of the game.
I mean, I get it. It's just a word that feels wierdly dated when used correctly. Like how my wife ribs me on the rare occasions I use the word "Japes" and "A lark" because of how hopelessly out of sync with modern speech they sound.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean, I get it. It's just a word that feels wierdly dated when used correctly. Like how my wife ribs me on the rare occasions I use the word "Japes" and "A lark" because of how hopelessly out of sync with modern speech they sound.
But that's the thing... Tellah is also a freaking old geezer in a middle ages escue world, so him using such a dated phrase just fits even more. I totally get what you mean, don't get me wrong, better to use a word that people playing the game would understand, especially back then when the internet still wasn't a thing, I just love how much it works despite how weird it is.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
God of War: Ragnarök has a perfect ending to close out the Norse series and Kratos saga.

I just wish the final battle didn’t end on such a whimper, but then again GoW games never did really stick the landing on those since the original. I honestly didn’t mind 3’s ending though overall.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Best ending of all times was Sands of Time. Just truly classy, narratively, and then that song.

Apart from that, I can think of that Fallout game where the experiences of your odyssey change you too much in the eyes of your sedentary community.

The ending of Bloodlines if you side with the Asian vampires.

The ending of Vampire the Masquerade Redemption if you sacrifice your humanity in the course of the story.

The ending of Braid, which puts the whole game under a new perspective.

The ending of System Shock 2, which some find a bit artificial but I for one liked its build up and conclusion.

The ending of Gabriel Knight 3 Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned because I don't like the Gabriel Knight character very much.

The ending of Mafia. The ending of Death to Spies. And... woah

I think I notice a pattern. Not many super triumphant endings in that list...

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Lemme wax on some more about The Witcher 3. Mega-spoilers for 8-yr old game.

The ending is a fully playable epilogue followed by a narration of major character and world endings, all based on some key in-game decisions. The ending is great because all thee epilogues are great and offer some unique thing.

Epilogue 1: The "sad" ending; the default ending
If you make a few "bad dad" decisions, don't pay attention to some key moments, then this epilogue has you/Geralt going back to the Brookbag Bog to hunt down the one Crone that got away from when Ciri fought them, killing her, then lamenting and seeming to give in as monsters surround you. This suggests that Ciri died or just never came back and Geralt gives up the will to live- at least for a moment.
It's the only way to kill that last Crone. It's pretty funny/interesting that you can only finally defeat the last villain with the one ending that most players don't want.

Epilogue 2: "Empress" ending
Happens if you "good dad" decisions to encourage Ciri to come back from the Wild Hunt AND take her to speak with the emperor AND making decisions that help that emperor win his war. As an individual piece of questing, it is by far the deepest in terms of world-building, longest, most dramatically complex, and visually beautiful as you get to experience White Orchard in the winter. Some will argue it is the "best" emotionally or narratively, I will disagree, but it's an interesting one.

Epilogue 3: "Witcher" ending
The lightest and funnest one, the reward for being best dad. You can run into the dwarves! You get a lovely final moment with Ciri and she is happiest. Just a lovely way to end the game.

So really all three are equally good in terms of quality but very different. The final narration is nice- I love it when games do that, sort of give you a little tour of the world to make you appreciate your adventure.