Goodbye BioWare, Hello Indie

Brook Bakay

Mar 17, 2010
Goodbye BioWare, Hello Indie

The story of two game developers who left their dream jobs at BioWare to go indie.

Read Full Article

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Interesting to see this perspective as I have watched the quality of Bioware games go downhill since EA bought them.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I can understand why one wouldn't want to be part of a giant organization, one face among many.

I don't think the phrase tiny cog is appropriate. It's more like alternate an alternate route for rush hour.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
And some people try to say that publishers only just provide the money needed for the creative process. Hardly, they have Bioware leashed and trained to do exactly what needs to be done for the highest chance of profit. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I'm allowed to be bitter about corporate needs being more important than creativity or public relations.

This is really no surprise that the internal "atmosphere" changed, since their games did too. I do pity the veteran developers in that situation. I would hate to be a part of a big conglomerate, no matter what my job was.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Surely there must be a way that you can create a large game and still remain a relatively tight-knit development team, without all that antagonistic corporate bullshit.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Surely there must be a way that you can create a large game and still remain a relatively tight-knit development team, without all that antagonistic corporate bullshit.
Yes, but it's very hard to maintain. For the most part, companies exist to make money/go where the money is, and going corporate definitely helps with the money stream in the short term.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
BioWare's a sinking ship, like every company acquisitioned by EA.

In a year all of its current staff will be either fired or making Sims DLC at EA Canada. These guys did the smart thing.

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
Zen Toombs said:
MammothBlade said:
Yes, but it's very hard to maintain. For the most part, companies exist to make money/go where the money is, and going corporate definitely helps with the money stream in the short term.
Yeah cash-flow tends to be the crimper on staying independent.

Also lots of start-ups seem to end up having the end goal being to be bought out by a bigger company, Bioware seems to have been no different.

Respect for them on leaving and going alone - risky, but sounds like they enjoy it for all it's troubles.

Some people work well in start-ups others do well in established companies with all the associated structures that entails. Horses for courses I guess.

(Also really like this post about day 1 DLC in ME3 http://www.beesonpie.com/2012/02/run-dlc.html?utm_source=BP_recent )

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Gotta give these guys some respect, they didnt like what they were doing and they decided to do something about it.

That email from the guy in a different department just screams "DICK MOVE" to me, why would you do something like that o_O The team spirit seems to have been hit with a brick and left bleeding on the floor if thats whats going on in there these days.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for a good article of journalism, looking forward to read more. Will be interesting to see what this guys can do in a non publisher game.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
KiKiweaky said:
Gotta give these guys some respect, they didnt like what they were doing and they decided to do something about it.

That email from the guy in a different department just screams "DICK MOVE" to me, why would you do something like that o_O The team spirit seems to have been hit with a brick and left bleeding on the floor if thats whats going on in there these days.
The guy who sent the e-mail should be fired. Really! Even in a big corporation that kind of behaviour shouldn't be accepted.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
DressedInRags said:
EA's restrictive policies prevented him from finding a creative outlet on his own. They claim ownership over any competing product - this includes indie games - done by employees, even on their own time.
Whoa whoa whoa - fucking what?!
Believe it or not, it's common to nearly all corporate employment contracts.

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
Standard practice in most companies - while you work for them they own your creative output that relates to your field. So game designer - any games you make they own the games but not your any paintings you do while indulging your hobby for landscape water colours*.

Really not shocking at all. As an old boss put it if your still pissed off when you've put your own millions on the line good on you, till then deal with it as a fact of life.

*Have heard of some companies that have tried claim the watercolours now that is shocking/stupid.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
DressedInRags said:
EA's restrictive policies prevented him from finding a creative outlet on his own. They claim ownership over any competing product - this includes indie games - done by employees, even on their own time.
Whoa whoa whoa - fucking what?!

That's obscene!

No, really. That's fucking obscene!
This is standard practice.
Hell I'm just a regular software developer (ie I don't work on games or anything) and my employment contract says that I can't work for any company that makes the same kind of software as my employer does, for like at least a couple years after leaving the company.

Its so that you can't leave your company - and come out with your own competing product that you developed using resources of your former employer, or sell off proprietary info to competitors. Of course since this is all legal stuff we're talking about they have to extend the clause to include everything as to not leave any possible loopholes.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it doesn't suck, or that it can't/isn't abused by companies, but I figured it'd be worth mentioning what the other side of the coin is.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
As much as Bioware are my favourite studio (yes, still), EA are treating their teams in a fucking disgusting manner, and I know what it's like to be one face in a massive corporation. It's soul destroying, utterly soul destroying.

Good on them for leaving and doing what they want to do, to give themselves the creative atmosphere they enjoy. I wish them both the very best of luck.

dcfedor

Mar 6, 2012
Tanakh said:
Will be interesting to see what this guys can do in a non publisher game.
You need not wait much longer, NEO Scavenger just released yesterday!

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/2

I'm Dan Fedor, from the article, btw. Brook included the link in the article, but it might've gotten snipped out in the editing process by accident.

I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
dcfedor said:
You need not wait much longer, NEO Scavenger just released yesterday!

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/2

I'm Dan Fedor, from the article, btw. Brook included the link in the article, but it might've gotten snipped out in the editing process by accident.

I'd love to hear what you guys think!
Neat! I was about to rage to Skyrim crashing (due exessive modding), but worth the crash to see this. Alredy registered to the site and got the first(?) Yukon Edition of your game, because i love u guys from old times and love the current indie scene; heck, when i am done with my phd i wanna go indie dev :D

Edit: Also... damn mexican pesos to USD conversion, i guess will kiss this week toro suhi goodbye -.-''

dcfedor

Mar 6, 2012
Tanakh said:
Neat! I was about to rage to Skyrim crashing (due exessive modding), but worth the crash to see this. Alredy registered to the site and got the first(?) Yukon Edition of your game, because i love u guys from old times and love the current indie scene; heck, when i am done with my phd i wanna go indie dev :D
Woohoo! Indeed you are the first Yukon Edition owner :) Sounds like I need to call up the printers about some postcardage!

Hope you enjoy the game so far, and I look forward to your feedback!

Oh, and don't forget to vote on new features, if you see any that catch your eye!