Google Street View Now an FPS - UPDATED

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
shadyh8er said:
It has the Inception "BWAM"! This is legit!

*serious face*

This is a rather intriguing idea. (Damn, unintended reference). Thing is, what's the point of putting a gun in it if the bullets do nothing? Well yeah, there's the risk of the moral guardians getting on their high horses, but when has that ever stopped anyone?
I suspect not having the bullets do anything is more because it would take an enormous amount of work to implement and less because of any fear of outrage.

In fact, getting a charge out of the moral guardian household cavalry is probably the entire purpose of this video.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
If it comes back up later, anybody up for a little..."occupation" of Wall Street?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yanno.. considering we just had a guy go on a 70+ kill streak in Oslo this past summer who admittedly used MW2 as a kind of training simulator, somehow I REALLY think this is a bad idea waiting to happen.

I hope I am wrong.

electronicgoat

Feb 20, 2011
This is a really cool idea. I don't know about the gun but honestly, just walking around in the streets using a computer and satellite technology is both futuristic and unfortunately, useless without proper content filling the streets and such, or at least the ability to find other players. The gun would become a cool idea if it was widely multiplayer; famous monuments like the Eiffel Tower could be traveled to immediately for a huge deathmatch, or you could find your old childhood home and maybe find someone else there.

Basically if this was multiplayer it would be really cool.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Alexnader said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I found the dubstep far more disturbing than the gun.
It was aping Battlefield 3 and MW3.
Mainly BF3. Isn't the gun and hand ripped directly from BF3?
Yes it is, however only the first and last 10 seconds of music is from BF3. The weird tone they play to go with the "really really fucking big stuff" stuff is from the MW3 trailers.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
That's tasteless and kinda disturbing.

Then again, I guess it would be rather cathartic to wreck havoc on your place of employment...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Much as I am one to support all things gaming, this has a lot of demented written all over it. Points for trying to keep schools and hospitals out of the crosshairs, but I have to wonder if these people actually used Google streetview and know how inaccurate the street numbers are. They will probably do a fine job of protecting the neighbors a block down, but still leave schools in open view.
Besides the copyright and trademark infringements using someone else's property for a game, this is just laziness. They should start with GTAIV streetview(Yes, somebody actually went and Google Streetviewed the streets of Liberty City) and see how that gets received before using something that involves the homes and workplaces of REAL PEOPLE. Much as I am not fond of my workplace, I don't need the thought of some kid or drugged up psychopath hitting it up virtually, getting the thought of how much more fun it might be to just do it for real. When you think about it, this really does cross the line.
Kopikatsu said:
RagTagBand said:
"midly intrusive Street View photographs"

Intrusive into what? Public space?
Some guy in Australia sued Google because he was sunbathing naked in his (fenced) backyard, but he showed up on Google Earth. Don't know how that lawsuit turned out, though.
You should see the shots that have been popping up on Imgur showing prostitutes picking up clients, as well as a lady standing starkers outside her front door. I think she was actually posing for the Google ride. Those have since been blurred out on the streetview.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
BabyRaptor said:

Then again, I guess it would be rather cathartic to wreck havoc on your place of employment...
No, no it wouldn't. Unless you hate every single person there, it will stick with you. If you hate every single person there, why in the hell are you still there? Better to find another job, and leave that one for someone else who doesn't even have one right now.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
BabyRaptor said:

No, no it wouldn't. Unless you hate every single person there, it will stick with you. If you hate every single person there, why in the hell are you still there? Better to find another job, and leave that one for someone else who doesn't even have one right now.
I live in the US, where there the job/applicant ratio is currently about 1:5. I'm lucky to have a job at all, no matter how much I may hate it.

Maybe you live somewhere where simply deciding to go find another job is plausible, but...That's not my reality.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
BabyRaptor said:
samsonguy920 said:
BabyRaptor said:

I live in the US, where there the job/applicant ratio is currently about 1:5. I'm lucky to have a job at all, no matter how much I may hate it.

Maybe you live somewhere where simply deciding to go find another job is plausible, but...That's not my reality.
Ah... Yes. Job figures. You get so much pressure put on you to find a job, but in a welfare state you can for some time at least not bother.

But... People will complain about you if you do...
Question is, are there actual jobs about?

Turns out, going through the UK figures, if you take the number of job vacancies, and compare it to the official unemployment figures, you end up with 5 people for every vacancy.

If you add in the additional people on disability and other benefits (who they keep saying should be 'encouraged' to get a job too.), this becomes something like 15 people to every vacancy.

Add in working age adults who don't work and aren't looking (eg. Housewives and the like), and you reach 20 to 1 or worse.

Yeah... And people go around acting as if finding work is trivial... >_>

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
viranimus said:
Yanno.. considering we just had a guy go on a 70+ kill streak in Oslo this past summer who admittedly used MW2 as a kind of training simulator, somehow I REALLY think this is a bad idea waiting to happen.

I hope I am wrong.
He didn't use it as a training simulator, he was simply FUCKING MENTAL.

OT: Why would Google kill this off? It's brilliant! D:

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Is it bad the first place i wanted to shoot up was my university?

I mean come ON.. its not like im training to be a terrorist or anything lol

Il just go shoot up my parents house instead..
No, I had the same immediate reaction. It's ok! You're normal! Now go kill some professors! Sort of.

Feb 9, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Yeah... And people go around acting as if finding work is trivial... >_>
Yeah, it can be quite annoying. I'm in the same boat as the other guy. I hate just about everything about my current job, but can't just up and leave for something else. It took me two entire years to get a job offer for my career job after I graduated college (I graduated in December 2009, got an offer a few days ago). I must have sent out over 200 applications.

The USA job market is fucking ridiculous... o_O

Wertornion

Aug 29, 2010
Nobody thinking that this is again the dutch who are doing something strange? This year is awsome for me because a few months back we had the whole slavery the game thing and now this again. As I am myself dutch i can't stop laughing at my own country, and we think that the US is doing strange things most of the time. This year it's the other way around xD

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, imagine all the sudden internet whining about the bullets not going home (causing bleeding)

And then the tremendous shock on the faces of the producers :)