Goth Robot Fight Scene Draws Hollywood Attention

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
OK that was [i/]awesome[/i]! I hope they do make this into a full-fledged film, just not a live-action one. This animation style is great and, honestly, you don't see too much of it. Music was good and I loved the fact that there was no dialogue; they should keep that for the film, just use computer text lines a la the Matrix for when exposition is really needed. The ending was kinda sad, but sometimes those endings are the best.

Also, did anyone understand the blooming roses thing? I get the Rosa is Spanish for rose part and that her outfit had a rose pattern on it, but that was it.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
bahumat42 said:
isnt this like wayyy old, i saw that clip ages ago.
You want an award?

OT: Wow, that was impressive. This Jesus guy needs to make something feature length. A Deus Ex movie perhaps? (hint hint, nudge nudge)

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Meh it's good but not great. The visuals look brilliant but the animations look a bit stiff. They've got a bit of the uncanny valley about them, but the fight scene was good. The audio wasn't very good though. Didn't sell the action at all. It just goes to show how important audio is. But the concept behind the story sounds great. I would love to see a full length film version.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
That was very, very cool. I am also intrigued about the world and would love to learn more - who are these people? What's with all the dead bodies? Why is the moon shattered? I love stuff like this - I will definitely keep an eye out for the full-length movie.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
I like to play games with action films. Count the number of seconds in your head before they cut. Frantic cutting all over the entire time just leaves me jarred, confused and soon after annoyed. You do it sparingly, it's like this guy saw the ability to cut a shot and decided that it was the best thing to ever happen to film. It doesn't make the fight look better it just further adds confusion to what the hell they are doing. It's good for some from what I am understanding amature project by a single person but it's not brilliantly amazing. It's okay.

Good on him for getting his vision across enough that he got Hollywood interest. I am all for new film makers.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Pretty? Check. Dystopian? Check. Kung Fu slap-fights? Check. Vague intimations of philosophical intent? Check. Gothic-lolita in Matrix tights? Um... sure... Check. More of the same? Check.

Hooray for more pretentious commentary on the human condition using CGI robots from yet another "visionary" director.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I found the whole thing to be a bit... uninspired. Like some sort of Human Revolution/Ghost in the Shell lovechild.

And call me a stick in the mud but the sudden transition from a dystopian Chinatown not unlike what's been seen in cyberpunk films or even in Guild Wars: Factions (just a lot morebrown) into an overtly Christian church just seemed a bit jarring. When the transition occured I half expected a shot of Film Brain shouting his trademark "SYMBOLISM!" to pass by.

Plus, since we knew nothing about the characters I found it hard to get invested in them.

But hey, it had SYMBOLISM so of course some people found it impressive. And of course watch whatever it had get undone completely by Hollywood.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
It's pretty, awesome, and damned entertaining. But what the -hell- does it mean? Nothing seems to make much sense, just seems like a fight/chase for the hell of it.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
bahumat42 said:
isnt this like wayyy old, i saw that clip ages ago.
Well, clearly you forgot to tell the rest of us how awesome it is. Next time you see something wicked like this, I want you to tell all of us right away. OK?

Thanks,

Us

roman gnome

Feb 1, 2009
kael013 said:
Also, did anyone understand the blooming roses thing? I get the Rosa is Spanish for rose part and that her outfit had a rose pattern on it, but that was it.
It's also the Latin. According to the website, Rosa is "a cyborg deployed from the Kernel project, mankind's last attempt to restore the earth's ecosystem." If you pause at 00:18, I believe those are all Latin names of plants (I only know a few of them for sure).

It's not clear to me whether the original project design involved having the "larvae" cyborgs attack Rosa, or if something went wrong as usually seems to happen when people make big plans involving killer cyborgs. I expect the longer movie will explain more, and I'm hoping what they explain will not turn out to be pants-on-head retarded.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No, sorry, this looks like overindulgent, generic nonsense that a 14-year old would make if he had a CGI studio at his command.

It's basically Battle Angel Alita, only worse... if possible.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked the world it was set in, but the fighting sucked....but they can get a decent action director to film those sections. The art direction was nice though.

nevwyn

Oct 29, 2009
This the trailer for Fallout 4, yes?

Do we get to play as an android escaping the shattered remains of Old Tokyo/Hong Kong? Do I get to be a Samurai this time?

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Out of all the things I saw in this, the main question I have is 'Why is the moon shattered and who/what did THAT?'

Visually impressive but the fight choreography was a little bland and the sound effects where the same.

I imagine the fella could do well with a budget and some free reign.