Gotham TV Show on Fox to Be Batman Origin Story

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Sounds like a backpedal after the original Commissioner Gordon show idea got so much negative feedback... so they made it even worse by doing yet another bloody origin story FFS.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Why the hell would they tell Batman's origin again? And if they are going to have Batman in it why wouldn't they tie in to the new DC movies? These people have no fucking clue what they're doing. They're just regurgitating a well known story with a popular character to make a buck. I hope this series fails spectacularly. Although even if it does fail, they'll take away the wrong lesson on why that happened.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Yes because we were still unclear of how batman came to be >.<

And am I the only one who doesn't consider the Nolan movies as "gritty" Dark? Yeah, but not gritty.

Capach: More Better
NO! Too much = bad!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of all that is good and green on this earth can we not just have a show or film where Batman is already in the cowl and has been for a while?
That would be the animared series.

OT: You know this won't get very far. FOX ends up tanking alot of things.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This is really disappointing news to me. When there was just the idea of a Commissioner Gordon TV show at least then I was potentially intrigued. A detective crime show set in Gotham but not focusing on Batman? Well color me intrigued. Obviously you lose the really big villains but they still could have had like Zsasz or Maxie Zeus or something. Or even Cobblepot.

But no...not only is this going to be ANOTHER re-telling of Batman's origin story, but they've already simply decided "Oh yeah, we're also not going to try anything new with it. We're just going to keep it all dark and Nolany."

I used to be interested in this show, now I'm just...I just don't care anymore.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of all that is good and green on this earth can we not just have a show or film where Batman is already in the cowl and has been for a while?

Nope, Mask of the Phantasm, remember? His one chance at a normal life dashed and he gives it all up to become the bat.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yes, because the origin story of Batman isn't already one of the most widely known origins of any comic superhero.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Of course it'll focus on Batman. He's Batman. He's what sells the most so that's where the focus will be. I'll just go back to my fantasy of a Commissioner Gordon-led TV drama akin to Sherlock with Batman never really showing up, but is always there, helping along.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well a pre batman gotham would be a cesspool of corruption, crime and depression era like poverty. if they would focus more on that and the sickness of gotham and its police and politicians then it could be interesting.

if its smallville with bruce wayne. meh.

if it went international and showed him studying and experiencing different philosophies and learning different things a etc that might be cool since alot of that is left open for exploration, there been some really good mini stories of his early years and travels and how he learned to be the way he is.

with good writing ti could be good, but it being a tv show well i will take a healthy dose of wait n see.

I am happy it will be far removed from bale verse, since tdkr he has shown a total not getting of the superhero thing, that 3rd bat flick was horrid, the superman flick horrid.

Nolan is not some golden boy. I think maybe got delt a bit of a bad hand with ledger dying since i suspect joker played a way bigger role in the 3rd movie if he had lived.

But still he ruined the character of the batman assasinated him an emo batman that sits on a ass for 8 years doing nothing, a gorilla batman workign like a ninja and operating around the law would have been great to see, the comic batman could no more stop being batman than cut off his own head. after a few months he would have been back out there not wallowing in his mansion over some girl that was going to run off with another psychopath.

magic knee brace or 8 years off and how ready he was with his magic knee brace, made little sense. fact he spent near zero prep time made little sense, fact he never vetted his cfo or w/e talia was.

tdkr was bad.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
how many origins stories does Batman need? we all know his parents were murdered and he became Batman to avenge them and stop others from suffering a similar fate. The Batman Begins film already did he best job of exploring his origin in a realistic manner and doing it again wouldn't serve any purpose. Enough with Batman Origin story DC.. how about exploring another DC superhero's origin story in a TV series.. or even a villain's origin story for a change.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
cerebus23 said:
Well a pre batman gotham would be a cesspool of corruption, crime and depression era like poverty. if they would focus more on that and the sickness of gotham and its police and politicians then it could be interesting.

if its smallville with bruce wayne. meh.

if it went international and showed him studying and experiencing different philosophies and learning different things a etc that might be cool since alot of that is left open for exploration, there been some really good mini stories of his early years and travels and how he learned to be the way he is.

with good writing ti could be good, but it being a tv show well i will take a healthy dose of wait n see.
While I agree that a show that depicted Bruce Wayne travelling around the world learning the things he does in order to become Batman might work, you know this show is not going to be that. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called "Gotham". :p

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wait, Bruce Wayne is Batman?

Ahhh! Spoiler warnings people, that's the new Batman/Superman movie totally ruined.

Li Mu said:
not only is this going to be ANOTHER re-telling of Batman's origin story, but they've already simply decided "Oh yeah, we're also not going to try anything new with it. We're just going to keep it all dark and Nolany."
I'm wondering what a camp Adam West Batman origin story would look like.

Bruce Wayne's parents get their ice creams stolen by criminal thugs? Also in this tale Bruce is already like 30 years old and they are all dressed in Hawaiian shirts and bermuda shorts.

Robin joins him after his parents are mildly inconvenienced in traffic congestion.

I'd watch that TV series.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Fox can do edgy with the best of them i would be really impressed if the pushed home the prostitution, gambling, drugs and etc, but i doubt they will go american horror story route with the thing, and probably want to keep it prime time pg friendly at lest.

so no murders no drugs nothing too gruesome and cops not being as bad as bad cops can be and so on to keep it that pg range.

If they go that hell on earth route though, way its depected in some of the comics, what other kind of city would you have to live in in order to arrive at the rational decision that becoming a feared vigilante that beats people to near death and breaks bones to achieve an end.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
God Batman Origin stories are so redundant. Can't you wait at least 5 years before opening ANOTHER Batman universe? We JUST finished the Dark Knight trilogy in 2012 and we're going to have ANOTHER Batman in the Man of Steel universe. Seriously, why can't you just invest in some new ideas that may sell just as well?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Nope, Mask of the Phantasm, remember? His one chance at a normal life dashed and he gives it all up to become the bat.
I don't understand the context of your reply, Blackadder.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Oh for the love of fuck!
Batman Origin Story
will be in the same gritty tone as Christoper Nolan's Batman films.
The TV series will show how the characters "became who they are," and be about "Gotham on the brink."
WE SAW IT ALREADY! WE HAD AN ENTIRE SERIES OF FILMS! ONE OF THE BIGGEST FILM TRILOGIES EVER! AAARGHARGHARGAHRGH!! In TDKR Gotham was about to be goddamn NUKED!

Up until this point I was sort of indifferent about the Batman being everywhere, but this is the fucking last straw. Now I want to see the Batman bubble burst, and burst HARD! I want it to fail so badly that in 5 years DC executives will be thinking "How the hell did we let that happen?"

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I don't understand the context of your reply, Blackadder.
In 1993, Warner Brothers released a film expansion to Batman TAS called Mask of the Phantasm. It detailed cartoon Wayne's encounter with a villain who continues to frame him for the murders he commits, as well as delving into Bruce's past and his drive to become Batman. It didn't show the parents' death, but it did show how Bruce's crime fighting career started from its beginnings as a masked thug fighting criminals to Batman himself.