Gotham TV Show on Fox to Be Batman Origin Story

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Sounds depressing as hell, honestly- especially if they do it right. This was the Gotham City that was degenerating to the point that it needed a Batman, and had already gotten bad enough that a wealthy socialite and his wife could be gunned down right outside a theater at least ten years before that point.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
*yawn*
Welp. It's just something else I get to hear about in passing.

Timmaaaah said:
God Batman Origin stories are so redundant. Can't you wait at least 5 years before opening ANOTHER Batman universe? We JUST finished the Dark Knight trilogy in 2012 and we're going to have ANOTHER Batman in the Man of Steel universe. Seriously, why can't you just invest in some new ideas that may sell just as well?
Because when it comes to comic book characters, the status quo is God.
Snarkiness aside, yeah. DC Universe has hundreds of different characters, dozens of whom are interesting protagonist material but why bother with any of them when you can rehash arguably THE most popular and well known super hero in the world?

The only exception that springs to mind is Arrow, and just the mere existence of that show is proof that Chaos Theory works.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of all that is good and green on this earth can we not just have a show or film where Batman is already in the cowl and has been for a while?
That would be the animated series.
This, this, very much this.

But yeah OT, lets just hope it can be as good and for-filling as the wonderful Smallville.

Oh no wait that was a pile of flaming horse poo that had no redeeming features past letting me look at Allison Mack more than usual.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
I'm wondering what a camp Adam West Batman origin story would look like.

Bruce Wayne's parents get their ice creams stolen by criminal thugs? Also in this tale Bruce is already like 30 years old and they are all dressed in Hawaiian shirts and bermuda shorts.

Robin joins him after his parents are mildly inconvenienced in traffic congestion.

I'd watch that TV series.
Awesome idea. Pitch this idea to Fox. I'm sure it'll be way better than what they already have planned.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:
FalloutJack said:
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of all that is good and green on this earth can we not just have a show or film where Batman is already in the cowl and has been for a while?
That would be the animared series.

OT: You know this won't get very far. FOX ends up tanking alot of things.
Nope, Mask of the Phantasm, remember? His one chance at a normal life dashed and he gives it all up to become the bat.
I don't understand the context of your reply, Blackadder.
In 1993, Warner Brothers released a film expansion to Batman TAS called Mask of the Phantasm. It detailed cartoon Wayne's encounter with a villain who continues to frame him for the murders he commits, as well as delving into Bruce's past and his drive to become Batman. It didn't show the parents' death, but it did show how Bruce's crime fighting career started from its beginnings as a masked thug fighting criminals to Batman himself.
Yes, I've seen it. If you're saying this makes TAS not count, I must disagree. I still said series, as in the episodic life of the caped crusader. Everything beyond that is a bonus and not worthy of this complaint.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Oh good because I needed to learn batmans origin again. They really should've gone the Gotham Central route, we already know the villains and Batman + co. learning about the cops is more interesting considering the world they live in.

Apr 17, 2009
Just make a TV series out of Gotham Central [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Central] already, you dicks! Its already got an award winning story to it, thats half your job done right of the bat (pun not intended but gloriously embraced)!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm. I am a tad bit confused why it is Fox doing this and not CW.. You know the network that handles DC properties and the "W" refers to Warner, as in Warner Brothers, Parent company of DC Comics since the 70s?

So weird that if something like this can happen, why do copywrite trolls exist?

Side note: Hopefully if they are not focusing on Batman and instead what lead to Batman, this might be a perfect vehicle to get Hush some much needed attention.

Jace1709

Apr 9, 2010
A story about a major comic book hero, detailing his teenage years and beyond if successfull, only in the last episode will he don his signature costume, and the title of the show is the location in which that character lives. I love Batman, but that is the exact same premise as Smallville. I'm not gonna say i wont watch this, cos i know for sure i'll be there for every episode but surely they could have come up with something better (i do like Smallville, but i dont want a retread).

As for the 'dark and gritty' part, fine by me, i definitly don't want another camp Batman, but i do hope they cut back on the 'realism' aspect... i want to see proper, well done versions of Bane, Ra's Al Ghul, Clayface, Killer Croc etc, they managed it without it being silly in the Arkham games, im sure they can do it for live action as well.