This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Neronium said:
Sassafrass said:
Oh boy, this is gonna end well.

Guys, just remember. A 3.5 out of 5 translates to a 7 out of 10. A 7 out of 10 is still pretty good, you know.
This is the internet and the gaming industry my old friend, so obviously if anything is below a 9/10 then it's the worst game ever and the review was completely unfair and biased so the reviewer must be burned. XD
True, and on the other end of the scale, if the review is a ten, the review has obviously been bought out and has no class. XD

Anyways, seeing the type of posts this thread is getting already, I'm out. Enjoy arguing about the fact DA2 got a higher score than this and how Greg's opinions are apparently wrong, everyone. :D

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If someone unironically brings up the DA2 review, I will headslam them until they understand the concept of "Not Much Is Objective In Game Reviewing God Dammit".

I think this review is perfectly valid in its criticisms. In a game as ostensibly gritty and "realistic" as GTA, I can't say I'd be comfortable playing the World's Most Awful Person. In Saints Row, at least there's a very effect Shield of Ludicrousness in effect.

Besides, he mentioned that various aspects of the game are "very fun", and the review left me wanting to play for the sandbox aspect, if not the story. That's a "good review", is it not?

Also, from what I'm reading, I'm not sure that "letting the gang member voice actors say whatever" was a great idea after all.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
The game itself is perfectly fine yet the author of the review had a problem with it on a moral grounding.

Yep, this will certainly end well.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Just one thing I forgot to add: So "killing not being fun but actually unpleasant" is NOT pushing the boundaries of video-games?

Are you saying that we should STRIVE for mindless run-and-gun violence in video-games instead of an immersive experience with a narrative that actually gives killing some wheight?
The game doesn't give killing any weight, unfortunately. I wish it did. I wish there was any remorse displayed by the characters. Instead you get mindless screaming and lame quips.
Ah.
Now, please allow me to answer in a respectful adult manner:
Ok, I get why this would irk you, especially in a post-GTA-IV-world where both, Red Dead Redemption (which I STILL need to finish I just remembered) and Spec Ops: The Line exist, which have both managed to give the act of shooting someone some actual wheight, whilst also allowing their characters to change BECAUSE of the acts they committed.
Seeing as RDR is, in fact, a Rockstar title, it seems understandable that you'd be a bit dissapointed that Rockstar has not managed to recreate that experience.
Afterall, Rockstar doesn't seem to be going for levity and humour too much anymore. We have Saints Row for that.

And now I shall squee with joy because one of the big shots of the escapist has take note of my existence:
OMGOMGOMGOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
THIS GOES IN THE ALBUM RIGHT NEXT TO THAT POST JIM ANSWERED

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
I can't respect an opinion when your biggest complaint is murdering people wasn't zaney enough. Maturity. Impact. Intensity. Horror. Discomfort. Morbid curiosity. Fuck all of them, they don't feel nice. -_-
Fixed that for you. And that's the problem, according to post 20.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
maniacfox said:
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.
First off, GTA3 started with the main character's betrayal and for some reason that gives me something to hold on to for a motivation. Also, we're in a much different world than in 2000, and several things have changed to make me judge GTAV differently. I plan on writing more on this game in an editorial which will hopefully clear up a lot of questions.

Greg

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Hmm, I'm still tentatively excited to play this despite the characters being framed in such a way as to be unrelateable (though, if I do relate, maybe I should seek help). I'm sure Rockstar can still craft an interesting narrative with psychopaths, and as Greg mentions, it's never not fun to explore a GTA world. As someone who enjoys roleplaying a little in these sorts of games (I tried to hold off killing and stealing as long as possible in GTAIV, and even later in the game, didn't do it for no reason (except immediately after I'd saved, naturally)), so this is pertinent, but 3.5 won't be putting me off purchasing is ASAP.

Which will be the 25th probably, so that's another week of spoiler dodging for me.

EDIT: Looking forward to reading the editorial! I'm sure there is a lot more left to be said about this game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sassafrass said:
True, and on the other end of the scale, if the review is a ten, the review has obviously been bought out and has no class. XD

Anyways, seeing the type of posts this thread is getting already, I'm out. Enjoy arguing about the fact DA2 got a higher score than this and how Greg's opinions are apparently wrong, everyone. :D
Dude, come to the Forum Games Group so we can all watch the flames rise higher soon enough. We did it with the WGDF comic and it was a hoot. XD

Apr 28, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Just one thing I forgot to add: So "killing not being fun but actually unpleasant" is NOT pushing the boundaries of video-games?

Are you saying that we should STRIVE for mindless run-and-gun violence in video-games instead of an immersive experience with a narrative that actually gives killing some wheight?
The game doesn't give killing any weight, unfortunately. I wish it did. I wish there was any remorse displayed by the characters. Instead you get mindless screaming and lame quips.
I've been wanting that since GTA III. IV is the only one that seemed to try, but it was underscored by the general gameplay, which is you mowing down tons of dudes.

Greg Tito said:
maniacfox said:
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.
First off, GTA3 started with the main character's betrayal and for some reason that gives me something to hold on to for a motivation. Also, we're in a much different world than in 2000, and several things have changed to make me judge GTAV differently. I plan on writing more on this game in an editorial which will hopefully clear up a lot of questions.

Greg
Look forward to reading this :D

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So, your main problem with it is that the main characters are completely evil? Actually...I have to say I kinda like that idea. To quote Yahtzee "Sometimes it's gratifying to play as an evil hate ridden fuck instead of a snarky self righteous pretty boy." So yeah. I respect your opinion, but I think I'll be giving this game a crack.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
If someone unironically brings up the DA2 review, I will headslam them until they understand the concept of "Not Much Is Objective In Game Reviewing God Dammit".
I think you were already too late in that, unfortunately. It has been brought up a few times already and I'm running my irony meter over them just now.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ranorak said:
Question, IS there some sort of Checkpoint system with the missions?

If not, I'm going to skip this game all together.
I HATE having to drive for 10 minutes to the same fucking place, with the same fucking dialogue, for the 4th fucking time, because I got shot while I was trying to find cover, but instead just bumped into stuff in GTA 4.
Yes, there is a checkpoint system, and the missions are generally fun.

Greg

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Teoes said:
lacktheknack said:
I think you were already too late in that, unfortunately. It has been brought up a few times already and I'm running my irony meter over them just now.
I'm giving the first two the benefit of the doubt.

If they pop in again to clarify their state of non-irony, then the headslamming will proceed. :D

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
And a tough week for the mods gets even harder. XD
Are you kidding, it's like Christmas for us!

Wait no, what's the opposite of Christmas? Uhhhh... It's like Armageddon! I like to think I'm the Bruce Willis of the Mod team, though obviously that means I'm probably going to die in a heroic ball of flames in a little while... =[

OT: I don't understand the huge weight of a few little score numbers. Personally, if you like the game, great! Go enjoy it! If you don't, then fine! Go enjoy something else! :D

Can't we all just sit down in front of the TV with our children, talk to them, and hit them?