Grand Theft Auto V Sells $800 Million On Launch Day

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto V Sells $800 Million On Launch Day

The $800 million rung up by Grand Theft Auto V in its first day of sales make it the most successful launch in videogame history.

It's no surprise that an awful lot of people picked up Grand Theft Auto V on launch day, but day-one sales in excess of $800 million is still absolutely staggering. And that number excludes Japan and Brazil, where the game hasn't yet launched.

"Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence," said Take-Two Chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick. "Beginning at midnight on Monday, consumers around the world gathered in anticipation to be among the first to experience the evolution of this remarkable series. In North America alone, more than 8,300 stores opened their doors at midnight to welcome fans whose loyalty and enthusiasm were rewarded with what The New York Times called 'the most immersive spectacle in interactive entertainment'. We are incredibly proud of Rockstar Games' creative achievement and could not be more pleased with the success of this launch."

The $800 million mark makes Grand Theft Auto V not only the best-launching game in Take-Two history, but also handily surpasses the previous all-time record-holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which put up sales of holds the mark [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120676-Black-Ops-II-Generates-500-Million-in-24-Hours] for "fastest to $1 billion in sales," at 15 days, but since Grand Theft Auto V is almost there on its first day, I wouldn't expect that one to hold for very long either.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is the most successful launch in the history of any piece of entertainment. It's almost unbelievable. By the end of the first week they will quadrupole (maybe more) what they had spent to make it. I expected it to sell better than GTA IV, but not like this. What an achievement.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It's funny to think that people thought Rockstar was crazy and would go bankrupt for releasing a game so late in the console cycle, especially after only announcing for current gen systems. 'Flailing woes of a once mighty giant, aged to the point of irrelevancy' my butt.

No, they probably didn't say that; yes, people have been asking the question for a few years now. (http://www.explosion.com/3307/is-grand-theft-auto-still-relevant/)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I can't say it was unpredictable but i really don't understand what the mass appeal is with this game.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Dolla dolla bills, yo.

That's some mad paper, makes one's head spin.

Impressive that a single player game now holds that record, shows EA/Activision a thing or two ;D

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Holy friggin' shit. That's a lot of cake, and deservedly so. Well, in my opinion at least. Played for 5 hours today and did one story mission. I was never bored, there's just so much stuff to do.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
They are slowly running out of excuses to not make a PC version. A proper one please.

Must be one fun party over there at rockstar though.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fuck me. It's kind of staggering to think that something this massive started all those years ago in my hometown, and remains in Scotland to this day.

Nationalistic pride, ho!

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Longstreet said:
They are slowly running out of excuses to not make a PC version. A proper one please.

Must be one fun party over there at rockstar though.
Have they said why they haven't?

I've not read or heard any reason why they have kept quiet about doing it or not.

A yes we are or a no we aint will do me, just wanna know simple really

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, 800 Million, that's unbelievable. I was sure it would sell pretty well but this is beyond anything I'd thought.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
It's kind of staggering to think that something this massive started all those years ago in my hometown, and remains in Scotland to this day.

Nationalistic pride, ho!

I walk past their offices every so often. Woot woot! They certainly keep a low profile in Edinburgh though. Still, awesome city to be a dev in.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
And some people thought that they wouldn't make their money back...Jesus Christ. And the PC port isn't even certain yet.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Eight Hundred MIIIIIILLION dollars!

Sorry, couldn't help it xD

OT: very impressive? though, it makes me wonder, how long will it be till we no longer see such records being set? The gaming industry can't go on forever setting ridiculously high sales like this? how long will it be before the decline?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
If there was any game that could kick CoD right in its sensitive area, it would be GTA. No series has garnered as much public, mainstream attention as GTA other than Mario and Zelda.

In some ways, this was predictable, but for me, I had sincere doubts that this would actually happen seeing as how CoD's revenue kept growing exponentially, then GTAV comes along and blows it out of the water.

This is a pleasant surprise for me, and I hope that it starts making the industry try to ape GTA again rather than linear dudebro ironsights simulators, after all, it was GTA clones that brought us Saints Row.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Judging by the current trend by publishers these days, they'll still say it was a failure a couple months from now.