Grand Theft Auto V "Upset" Hideo Kojima

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
:)

This reminds me of a little story, way back in the buildup the metal gear solid on ps1.
Kojima was interviewed on mgs1 for uks official playstation magazine and when asked how long the game would take he replied "i can finish it in 2 hours".

A rep from konami actually had to step in and told kojima presumably (obviously dunno what words were said, the interviewer just noted that the konami rep came and took him aside and they talked in japanese over something) that honesty was not always the best policy and he then added "of course it would take players far longer if they don't know the game by heart like i do, and this doesn't include time for cutscenes".

Glad to see he hasnt changed too much since then.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta say it's pretty funny to see a well known creator like Hideo basically come out and say "God damn...that was fucking awesome, we can't even come close to that!" when seeing a new game. But yeah, Stew brings up a good point in that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. The Metal Gear series has always been tailored to a specific group of gamers who like to literally drown in an obscenely complex story while GTA appeals to the broader audience of people who enjoy running over prostitutes and beating old ladies with baseball bats before flying off on a jetpack to pick up money from the gay strip club that they own so they can go out and buy a private airport out in the middle of the desert to park the jumbo jet they stole.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
Terramax said:
Eh, sandbox games are overrated. And, besides graphics, they've hardly evolved since the PS2 era. Just added more fluff. Kojima has nothing to worry about.
you better get used to the "overrated" sandbox style because i have a feeling we're gonna see a LOT of those on the next gen x1 and ps4. I in my opinion love sandbox games they give you more to do after the story mode is over.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
LT Cannibal 68 said:
Terramax said:
Eh, sandbox games are overrated. And, besides graphics, they've hardly evolved since the PS2 era. Just added more fluff. Kojima has nothing to worry about.
you better get used to the "overrated" sandbox style because i have a feeling we're gonna see a LOT of those on the next gen x1 and ps4. I in my opinion love sandbox games they give you more to do after the story mode is over.
Indeed, they've flooded the market this generation already.

It surprises me how people always bang on about how over-saturated the market is with FPS, but don't point out the over saturation of sandbox games.

Not that I say they're all terrible. But they're often a scapegoat for good level design and creativity, relying more on realism, and expecting the gamer to make their own fun, rather than cleverly implemented fun moments by the designers.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Vrach said:
cursedseishi said:
Oh please...
If 4 was any indication, GTA 5 isn't going to be all that great unless Rockstar got their shit together. No game should ever feel the need to wear you down with incessant, clingy NPCs who take offense the second you don't want to hang out with them.

Their biggest worry should be Saints Row 4, but then again it isn't because it's not "Saints Row 5".
Wait you're trashing GTA IV while praising SR3? I felt SR3 was an absolute piece of wank and the fact they're going even further overboard with SR4 and throwing away everything that made SR2 great just leaves me with no interest in the game whatsoever. I played SR2 for countless hours, I was done with SR3 as soon as I went through the story and that didn't take long at all. The whole "oh look how wacky this stuff is" got old way too fast for me.

And have you even seen the trailers for GTA V? The man is not kidding, it looks absolutely amazing. I was not a big fan of GTA IV, the phone, the music, the grey-assed city, the annoying cliched protagonist, but it did a number of things well too. But GTA V is very clearly taking a lot of hints from what I consider to be their best game to date, San Andreas. They're bringing back the air and water and it looks to be quite a comeback. With three protagonists, it could lead to some very interesting scenarios and if their multiplayer has a 3 player co-op where you can go through the entire story together, I'll likely be looking at my favourite game ever.
First off, I gotta say this. Good job pulling that first line right out of your ass. Did I make mention of Saints Row 3 anywhere in my post? Nope. So I must congratulate you on extrapolating the "fact" that clearly I am praising Saints Row 3 as the bastion of Open World gameplay.

I would of mentioned Just Cause actually, but they're only up to 2, and that is much further from 5 than the only other major open-world title of similar style. And my entire point with that last line was jokingly referring to the "V vs. V" between the two games.

And yes. I have seen the trailers for GTA V, and yes there is a whole shit-ton of "coulds" and "mights" associated with the 3 protagonists and the like. But guess what? THAT'S ALL IT IS. Those trailers are worth about as much to me as the "Demo gameplay" footage for Aliens: Colonial Marines. Until I see some rock solid proof at launch, I could give a rats ass what they are tossing out there for the PR.
Whoa, hostility, why? I thought it was fair to assume you liked SR3 if you like SR4 (or at least, think it more of a competition than GTA V). SR4 seems to be SR3 with the element of "wacky" just blown up further and that element was the centre point of SR3.

And yeah, all we have on GTA V are trailers, but you could say the same for SR4 or any unreleased game, so I don't see the point of your argument. Sure, there are more trailers on SR4, but your argument is "even a game demo can be misleading" and a demo's as close as you get to the game before the full thing.

My point was that SR3's wackiness went overboard and SR4's just pushing further with it. I felt the great thing about SR2 was the amount of things you could do and the amount of freedom you had. SR3 in comparison made a really short campaign and the game felt like it had no substance. The wacky stuff got old fast and there wasn't as much to do in the game after you were done with the story.

GTA on the other hand is a well established franchise and while yes, some things sucked in GTA V, a lot of things worked too. Car driving was great, cover worked nicely, weapons felt good etc. GTA V's trailers, as I've said above, show that they're going back to San Andreas - they're adding air vehicles back in, you can explore underwater and all those "coulds" and "mights" are just a bonus that I think looks good from the trailer.

edit: oh and besides, as a PC gamer looking forward to a Rockstar game, I'm immune to their advertising fooling me. I'll have some 6 months to look over actual gameplay footage at launch before I get a port and pray it's not as shit as GTA IV :p

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
Headline should be "Kojima: A visionary robbed of his future".

But seriously,his team must be feeling good after such tweets,but then again we're talking about a guy who made that retarded Revengeance video where he showcased the failure of his company to the public.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Vrach said:
cursedseishi said:
Vrach said:
cursedseishi said:
Their biggest worry should be Saints Row 4, but then again it isn't because it's not "Saints Row 5".

I would of mentioned Just Cause actually, but they're only up to 2, and that is much further from 5 than the only other major open-world title of similar style. And my entire point with that last line was jokingly referring to the "V vs. V" between the two games.
Whoa, hostility, why? I thought it was fair to assume you liked SR3 if you like SR4 (or at least, think it more of a competition than GTA V). SR4 seems to be SR3 with the element of "wacky" just blown up further and that element was the centre point of SR3.
Again, the entire single sentence or so I brought up Saints Row 4 was ONLY joking about the proximity GTA and MGS are currently sharing with their numbers. Like I said above, I actually prefer Just Cause moreso than either other game for its open-world fun. Nowhere was I saying I liked SR3, or SR4 for that matter. All I was saying was GTA 4 was below other games.

But I'll say it here though. I did enjoy SR 3, much more than I did GTA4, if solely for the fun you can have playing co-op seeing as it offers more to do with it. If GTA 4 allowed me to do story missions co-op, and had included some co-op centric diversions, it might of slipped back on top of SR 3.

And I wasn't referring to a demo of Aliens. I was referring to the "Demo Gameplay" footage they released all over the place before launch. You know, the footage that actually shown aliens as fully capable, deadly threats as they squeeze through and leap out from any space they can, and that big power loader with a flamethrower stomping and tearing through them near the end? The same footage that was claimed to be taken straight from the game, yet when we actually got the game it had none of it even close to being in there, and was actually uglier than the trailer footage itself to boot? The Escapist had at least a couple things dedicated to talking about it.

And I'll apologize for the hostility.
Yeah, yeah, I got the joke, but I figured there was still a nugget of opinion there, and as you've said, you did like SR3 more than GTA IV, which was the point of my argument. I never got to try co-op in either game (I actually bought my friend copies of GTA IV and SR2 to that end and he's still to date never played it with me :( ), so I can't judge it on that point (if GTA V offers a 3 player full story co-op though, I'll get him the game and myself a quality bat... :p )

I was just disappointed with SR3 a lot because I loved SR2 for it's scope and all the things you could do. As I said before, I've played the game for countless hours and reinstalled it several times to play through it again, both for the story missions and the general screwing around potential afterwards. SR3... as soon as I was done with the story, and I was half-bored through most of it as well, I was done with it. I tried playing around in the open world, but it felt soulless and empty, nothing like SR2.

And I'm not up to date on the whole Aliens thing, so sorry for speaking out of my arse there. I did hear about the fiasco, but didn't delve too deep into it, the game never interested me. Still, I think Rockstar's a very reputable company and I think they're above fucking up like that. This is their star franchise too, to pull something like that... it'd ruin their reputation for good and GTA games aren't your annual bullshit releases. So, while I understand your skepticism (not just because of Aliens, it's generally wiser to be skeptical of advertisement), I believe they can and will pull off what they're promising, partly because they've done it before and most of it is polish (aside from the three protagonist's thing, still waiting to see how that goes, but I do have a good feeling about it for now).

As for JC2, no argument there, it's a brilliant game with tremendous open world potential. Only thing I hated about it was how easy it was to shake off cops. After I was done with the story, I wanted to do a lot of high speed chases across the map, but they're so easy to lose, even at the highest level, that I'd literally have to be driving like a granny to keep them on my tail >.<

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
About a month ago this story was "Kojima is impressed with GTAV" and now it's "Kojima is worried that GTAV will out perform him"? It even uses the same quotes if I remember rightly.

I guess this is how spin doctors work as well.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
cursedseishi said:
And personally, I've never been a "high-speed chase" type. I'm more of high-speed demolition, and demolition is something they have... =D
Not quite like Red Faction: Guerrilla's destruction, but still quite fun!
You know the first mission in JC2 (later part of it)? Where the guy you're supposed to save drives you while you stand on the roof and take out the incoming cars? The moment I saw that scene, I was in love with the game. Then, I realised that not only is there not a single mission that has that :(

I kinda wanted to create something similar, get myself a high wanted level and have the cops chase me while I switch between high-speed driving and jumping on the roof to take them out (mostly using the hook shot, I love rubber banding cars). Sadly, it's so ridiculously easy to lose them, it's near impossible to set up and feel real. I also wanted to jump on an airplane and have them try to take me down, but they just can't keep up with any aircraft at all. Which is a shame, because rubber banding planes is one of the most wonderful things to do in that game :p

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
StewShearer said:

Hideo Kojima worries that Metal Gear Solid V won't be as good as Grand Theft Auto V

Much ado has been made recently about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain embracing and integrating <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124774-Open-World-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Coming-to-Xbox-One>open world mechanics into its story and gameplay. If all goes to plan, The Phantom Pain should give players an entirely new level of choice in how they sneak through enemy territory. Even with the new game already looking fairly impressive however, series creator Hideo Kojima can't help but feel a little bummed out on account of Grand Theft Auto V apparently looking better.

"I saw the its first week while it would take several years for Metal Gear Solid IV to squeak past the <a href=http://gematsu.com/2010/02/metal-gear-solid-4-sells-five-million-becomes-highest-selling-ps3-exclusive>five million mark.

That being the case, even with Metal Gear Solid V adopting a more open world style of gameplay, it might not be the fairest of comparisons. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear offer different experiences and GTA just happens to have a wider reach than Kojima's franchise. Now, it's obvious that Mr. Kojima's comments are meant more to praise Rockstar than to belittle his own studio's efforts. That said, the man would still do well not to sell his own game short.

Source: <a href=http://gematsu.com/2013/07/hideo-kojima-impressed-with-grand-theft-auto-v>Gematsu

besides the fact GTA is multiplatform, all i take from this is:

WAAAAH WAAAHHH MY GAME WONT SELL AS GOOD WAAAH WAAAHHH!!!! WHERES MY BOTTLE!?

evilcorgi

Mar 22, 2012
Jegsimmons said:
StewShearer said:

Hideo Kojima worries that Metal Gear Solid V won't be as good as Grand Theft Auto V

Much ado has been made recently about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain embracing and integrating <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124774-Open-World-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Coming-to-Xbox-One>open world mechanics into its story and gameplay. If all goes to plan, The Phantom Pain should give players an entirely new level of choice in how they sneak through enemy territory. Even with the new game already looking fairly impressive however, series creator Hideo Kojima can't help but feel a little bummed out on account of Grand Theft Auto V apparently looking better.

"I saw the its first week while it would take several years for Metal Gear Solid IV to squeak past the <a href=http://gematsu.com/2010/02/metal-gear-solid-4-sells-five-million-becomes-highest-selling-ps3-exclusive>five million mark.

That being the case, even with Metal Gear Solid V adopting a more open world style of gameplay, it might not be the fairest of comparisons. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear offer different experiences and GTA just happens to have a wider reach than Kojima's franchise. Now, it's obvious that Mr. Kojima's comments are meant more to praise Rockstar than to belittle his own studio's efforts. That said, the man would still do well not to sell his own game short.

Source: <a href=http://gematsu.com/2013/07/hideo-kojima-impressed-with-grand-theft-auto-v>Gematsu

I guess you missed that who part where he said "It was amazing, so awesome. The degree of freedom-it's the future of games! It's on a different level than other games." He's complimenting another game. What's the issue?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Wow he talks like a human being! Unique amongst AAA devs. Although I don't think his audience overlaps with the GTA market a whole bunch.

Feb 22, 2009
So excited for both of these games. And Kojima is just such a fun guy, what other big developer would make these kinds of statements? It's a good year for games, I think, minus all the console bullshittery that's going on.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Of course a game which is all about open-world antics and has been since its inception is likely to do that better than a game which is supposed to be about stealth with modest exploration. That's just my cynical take on it. Hideo, this is your make-or-break chance to do a good open world stealth game. Don't try to be just like GTA, make MGS V into its own combination of open-world and stealth. And that's all there is to it. I look forward to playing both games nonetheless, they should be exciting in their own ways.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I really don't think people look to the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be the pinnacle of open world gameplay. Perhaps it's more important to get the stealth and story parts right.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
I really don't think people look to the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be the pinnacle of open world gameplay. Perhaps it's more important to get the stealth and story parts right.
Exactly, and GTA is one of the kings of sandbox cities. I'm really not looking at my wallet and thinking, GTA 5 or MGS 5. Is he upset because they have the same numbers in the name? Otherwise, I wouldn't associate the two at all.

Jegsimmons said:

MGS 5 is also going multi-platform this time around.

I think it shows maturity to look at other people's work and to be able to criticize your own in comparison. I just think this is a weird game to look at unless they're drastically changing the nature of MGS games which is possible. Even so, it certainly wouldn't be the same flavor of humor that GTA offers or I'd consider it a different IP altogether.