Grand Theft Auto V's Map Leaked, is Huge

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
I'm fine that Fierro and Venturas aren't part of the map, and if they come as DLC, I'm fine with that too. But am I the only one disappointed in the fact that none of the names and places from San Andreas are used? I mean they changed a lot of what the landmass looks like, completely renamed Red County to Blaine County and none of the towns of red county are there. I'm all for a new map and all, but if you are reusing a city, keep the details, this seems more like a different place than San Andreas, just with the same name.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Simple Bluff said:
I had considered that, but I was wondering how far in the game you have to get before you get planes (helicopters are in the game too I presume, but I've NEVER liked helicopters). It could be a lot of faffing about before you get regular access to them.
Again though, I'm being too judgmental. I don't honestly believe that GTAV will be as bad as RDR, it's just that when the comparison was drawn my mind immediately sprung to RDR's tedium.
Well, most of their games lock shit off until mid or late game, so is faffing about any different?

I mean, I always had the argument of SR style vs GTA style. SR left the maps open to you from the beginning but you had to earn reputation to play them. This was never a problem for me as I always had more than enough rep but apparently it's possible to not rank up your rep every thirty seconds. But on the flip-side, a lot of GTA maps are locked up at the start. I'd rather have the option to explore, myself.

And maybe, with that in mind, you won't have to wait ten hours to get an airplane this time. Or five hours to get a weapon.
Supposedly GTA V has the entire map unlocked from the beginning, and is a lot faster paced*. When we will get aircraft remains to be seen but it should be a lot faster than in previous titles.

Personally I prefer these images for impression of scale:

"We want to surprise people with very intense missions from the start. The pace of the game is much faster than any of its predecessors,"

"From the beginning, we want to show off the new game mechanics while creating intense, action-packed gameplay, to capture the player's attention immediately."

"Remember that the three characters in the game are already living in the city of Los Santos and surrounding areas," Benzies added. "They are not newcomers like Niko and Tommy Vercetti, or people returning after a long absence like CJ."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/419336/gta-5-much-faster-than-its-predecessors

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Gerishnakov said:
This looks tiny. If you look at the size of a city block, then compare that to the rest of the map, it doesn't appear very big at all.
That's what I thought at first too but if you look at the response map sent out by R* (the one that shows the zooming in and out from the trailer) you can see that some of those little lines going through the blocks are actual whole streets, not just alleyways.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Simple Bluff said:
To be honest, I don't like how they're boasting about the map being bigger than Red Dead. RDR is one of my faveorite games of this generation, but one of the things that really held it back was the size of the map - it was far too big. Getting from point A to B was easily its biggest flaw.

Now, RDR had the problem of doing everything by horseback - which was painfully slow - that heavily contributed to the doldrums of traveling. GTAV will have vehicles, which will definitely help but I'm not sure if it's enough.

...I'm being very judgmental. I really like the look of the map, I'm just worried that it might get a bit tedious to travel around. Hopefully it'll have a good fast travel system.
I don't understand the complaint, Red Dead Redemption had instant fast travel to and from any point on the map. I'd assume Rockstar will add something similar in this game, since they seem to understand that they shouldn't force people to travel those kinds of distances all the time.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
righthanded said:
ssgt splatter said:
So...which of the airports on the map is the military base? I've looked over the map like three times and I don't really see anything that clearly says "military."
I'm guessing Fort Zancudo is what you're looking for
Oh, well, no duh!!! Wow, I'm slow today. Thanks anyway buddy.

CAPTCHA: crime of passion

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
A3sir said:
I'm fine that Fierro and Venturas aren't part of the map, and if they come as DLC, I'm fine with that too. But am I the only one disappointed in the fact that none of the names and places from San Andreas are used? I mean they changed a lot of what the landmass looks like, completely renamed Red County to Blaine County and none of the towns of red county are there. I'm all for a new map and all, but if you are reusing a city, keep the details, this seems more like a different place than San Andreas, just with the same name.
There's still Vinewood, Richman and Mount Chiliad, but yeah, I get what you mean and I agree. It would be nice to have some of the same places and iconic locations in the new game.

Captcha: leave britney alone

What?! I didn't say anything!

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
GiantRaven said:
TecnoMonkey said:
So apparently NeoGaf members have compared the San Andreas map and this one, the result is this: http://i.imgur.com/0q6hht6.jpg

So it yeah, it's going to be pretty big. Assuming the image is reliable.
No chance. That would imply that the airport in V would be as big as a single city in SA. That would be mind-bogglingly boring and take far too long to traverse.
Well, Rockstar claimed that the map in GTA V is bigger than SA, RDR and GTA IV combined. I don't know how the maker of that image managed to compare the two maps but it has to be something along those lines...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
And this will all fit on one DVD how? They've been pushing the limits of dual-layer DVDs for some time now; I wonder if the Xbox 360 version will arrive extremely compressed and require a hard drive install to play.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Simple Bluff said:
]I had considered that, but I was wondering how far in the game you have to get before you get planes (helicopters are in the game too I presume, but I've NEVER liked helicopters). It could be a lot of faffing about before you get regular access to them.
Again though, I'm being too judgmental. I don't honestly believe that GTAV will be as bad as RDR, it's just that when the comparison was drawn my mind immediately sprung to RDR's tedium.
The background of the characters has stated that Trevor was in the Air Force, so he's the one that flies planes and helicopters. I haven't a clue if the others can learn or not, but it's been said that the entire map is available right away, and getting access to planes like crop dusters or smaller planes will probably be easy, but access to fighter jets and helicopters will be a much larger challenge. It sounded a lot like they made sure to have workarounds to have almost everything available from the get-go, so I'm sure there's ways.

My guess is that access to the better, military-grade weapons and vehicles won't be available without some high-stake bribes you won't be able to afford until later on, after you've pulled off your first heist or two. Basically unlocks you won't be able to afford without either grinding or pulling off the bank jobs. That may also be why Las Venturas isn't in the game initially... they don't want you to gamble your way to getting better equipment than you're supposed to. Then again in my mind that'd be pretty cool to allow, if someone wanted to spend the time and effort to pull it off.

Falmorrow

Oct 31, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
And this will all fit on one DVD how? They've been pushing the limits of dual-layer DVDs for some time now; I wonder if the Xbox 360 version will arrive extremely compressed and require a hard drive install to play.
I think it's been confirmed that the Xbox 360 version will come on two discs, with one disc devoted entirely to installing the game and another disc for play and containing some of the data.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Countryside! Sweet sweet countryside! While I loved the maps in GTA IV and Saint's Row there was never enough countryside and open space to drive about in like there was in San Andreas. I'm so glad this is not just one massive claustrophobic city.

Though since I don't have a console I'm wishing even harder now that it comes to PC.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Looks awesome, but I don't know why they made the fact that it's an island so obvious. At least in San Andreas the landmass was pushed almost all the way to the edge of the map and formed a square-ish shape when you looked at it top-down.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
ssgt splatter said:
So...which of the airports on the map is the military base? I've looked over the map like three times and I don't really see anything that clearly says "military."
http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/index.php?single=1&full_size=1&path=2013%2F252%2FGTAV_Los_Santos_mapRS_91327_screen.jpg&caption=%2528Credit%253A%2BForbes%2529&blog=1&cvr=rWQ1 About half way up the west coast the is an airport named Fort Zanoudu, that will probably be the military base.

OT: I think the map looks pretty good sized, this is going to be the first GTA game I've played since I wasn't into the series when IV came out and never decided to get it so it'll be interesting to have a sandbox game like this that devotes a lot of its mass to the wilderness.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Do people even look at the fucking map? By Odin's beard. The map is clearly populated with points of interest.

I love the scale comparisons and perspectives that have been posted, it's just amplified the excitement ten-fold. I absolutely could not agree less with people's comments regarding a necessity for a good fast-travel system, personally, because I very rarely found traveling around any of the GTA maps unenjoyable. Can we get some positivity for Rockstars masterful map crafting in here? I imagine taxis will make a reappearance as the main mode of fast travel, like in IV. Maybe buses too, that could be quite funny.

Oh and GTA maps are islands, that's just how it's always been. I think they'll probably explain the disappearance of San Fierro and Las Venturas with an earthquake that separated Los Santos from San Fierro at "Flint" area (Flint Water, Flint Intersection: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130504154239/gtawiki/images/d/d2/Gtasa_areas.jpg). You have to use your imagination a fair amount, and rescale the San Andreas map in your mind, but it could happen... in video games.

I'm genuinely really enthusiastic about GTAV, hopefully this optimism isn't misplaced.

Sep 14, 2009
Weaver said:
Maybe the next GTA will be almost as big as Just Cause 2!
hah I was surprised it took so long for this comparison to be made, holy fuck was just cause 2 huge. (it was great though with the hookshot and being able to steal shit so easily to get around, i never really felt like it was taking forever to get somewhere, especially stealing a jet :D )

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
But how does it compare to Daggerfall, or even Panau?

Sorry, that wasn't nice.

Anyways, that's... a lot of countryside.
Yeah, it looks smaller than Panau. But, I guess we'll see!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Weaver said:
lacktheknack said:
But how does it compare to Daggerfall, or even Panau?

Sorry, that wasn't nice.

Anyways, that's... a lot of countryside.
Yeah, it looks smaller than Panau. But, I guess we'll see!
http://www.tntgamer.com/gta-v-map-is-49-square-miles-in-size/
http://justcause.wikia.com/wiki/Maps

GTA V: ~126.9 square kilometers

Panau: 1035.6 square kilometers

That's why I said "sorry, that wasn't nice". :p

For extra fun, <link=http://i.imgur.com/KtSyk.jpg>here's a map of various games superimposed over Panau, and <link=http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/2c/e8/2ce84e_2735143.jpg>another of Panau being dwarfed by Daggerfall.