Grand Theft Auto V's Map Leaked, is Huge

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
lacktheknack said:
For extra fun, <link=http://i.imgur.com/KtSyk.jpg>here's a map of various games superimposed over Panau, and <link=http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/2c/e8/2ce84e_2735143.jpg>another of Panau being dwarfed by Daggerfall.
...the hell?

How, in any conceivable way, did they fit 62394 square miles of world onto a disk in the year 1996!? I mean, sure most of that was probably samey, flat terrain, but still!

Also, how the hell would you efficiently explore that!

OT: It looks like they took the bottom half of the old san Andreas map, upscaled it, moved some things around, then turned it 45 degrees. Also, I'm glad that mount chiliad is still there. I just hope its even taller this time...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
uchytjes said:
Also, I'm glad that mount chiliad is still there. I just hope its even taller this time...
That was pretty much my main concern. If Chilliad is back, I'm happy.

It also seems you'll be able to explore the entire map from the get-go, which is another good sign. Rockstar are having to play catch-up on the game they invented.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
uchytjes said:
lacktheknack said:
For extra fun, <link=http://i.imgur.com/KtSyk.jpg>here's a map of various games superimposed over Panau, and <link=http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/2c/e8/2ce84e_2735143.jpg>another of Panau being dwarfed by Daggerfall.
...the hell?

How, in any conceivable way, did they fit 62394 square miles of world onto a disk in the year 1996!? I mean, sure most of that was probably samey, flat terrain, but still!

Also, how the hell would you efficiently explore that!
Multiple disks and generation algorithms.

Also, you explore it exclusively through fast travel, although walking from one of the thousands of towns to another is not too hard.

You could always try it and see.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
righthanded said:
ssgt splatter said:
So...which of the airports on the map is the military base? I've looked over the map like three times and I don't really see anything that clearly says "military."
I'm guessing Fort Zancudo is what you're looking for
I was gonna say...I'd venture to guess the Fort???

OT: I am absolutely pumped for this game. It's just too bad that I'll have to wait about two weeks to get it. Living abroad has its disadvantages.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
So uh, what happened to the other islands? Kinda weird that the bridges and the islands completely disappeared in the 20 year time skip. Did they like sink from an Earthquake or something?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So this is Los Santos, sadly. The worst city of the three in San Andreas. also it seems that its size is around the same as Los Santos region was, meaning 1/3 of San ANdreas map. I lvoe that they added out of city part to it, but it could ahve been much bigger, unless the scale is all wrong and streets in the map does not represent streets but region blocks of city. Though by the second picture it does look like this is the truth.

Simalacrum said:
I mean, who really explores entire maps without fast travelling anyway?
I do. Thats why it took me over 200 hours to explore whole Morrowind.

And as far as original san andreas, i knew it whole by heart when i played SAMP, its alwayas fun when you instintivly know at which point you sohudl press brakes to stop in this aprticular elevation and ground resistance and make a perfect turn in a country road whiel the cop chasing you (another player) flies of a cliff because he didnt knew when to break. Theres something very satisfying tricking other players. i would get wanted and stand around waiting for police to show up so i coudl get such chases. also criminals were very angry when i did not fly off the cliff chasing them.

Crazy Zaul said:
Well that looks completely shrunk down, so still there will never be another San Andreas. Its starting to look like that game was a miracle for its hardware.
But then as you say, DLC didn't exist when San Andreas came out...
It did, we just called it patches. and they were free.

M920CAIN said:
Why is it an island?
So the comic panels of "kill civilians - 1 star, enter bridge - most wanted" would stop.

TopazFusion said:
Indeed. When you consider that GTA3 and Vice City both had loading screens when moving between islands (everyone remember those?), yet in San Andreas you could drive from one side of the map to the other, without seeing a single loading screen.

It was amazing what they were able to achieve with the hardware back then.
3 and vice loaded the whole map in your memory and then spawnex textures as you go. san andreas actually loaded map as you went, thus on slower machines you could see map forming up to the point if you see water waves appear out of nowhere as well as what we used to call "invisible lamposts", as in lamposts that wreck your car but are invisible becuase your PC was too busy loading the map and didnt load the texture.
the always-loading maps are what allows games to avoid laoding screens now. more or less.

Kalezian said:
As in how GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas all had some connection to each other.
well it sorta did. you see character from san andreas leaving town and appearing in gta 3 and vice city and all.
we dont know abotu gta 5 continuity with 4 though.

lacktheknack said:
http://www.tntgamer.com/gta-v-map-is-49-square-miles-in-size/
http://justcause.wikia.com/wiki/Maps

GTA V: ~126.9 square kilometers

Panau: 1035.6 square kilometers

That's why I said "sorry, that wasn't nice". :p

And here i though that Daggerfall was among the largest ones. there seems to be even larger ones out there. wow, amazing. though seems a lot of racing games so most the map is unused beside streets.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Sweet Zombie Jesus that's a huge map!

This is gonna be Legen-

Dairy

I love exploring and I hate fast travel. This will be an epic challenge of roleplaying will for me! If I knew a good Odyssey quote I'd put it here.

yeah yeah blah blah blah, content is what's important, but come on, how are you going to make a map THAT big and not have at least some mildly interesting diversion to do in most areas to justify it? I'm a grinder. I'm going to do that mildly interesting chaff

Oh and THE SCOPE of the police manhunts! Something tells me this time that 5-6 star notoriety wont be a joke if you'll have to drive halfway accross town to lose the screws. That or pay-n-spray. Pay-n-spray and grenades combined can solve any problem.

I wasn't too excited about this game to be honest, I was content enough with saints row 3 and 4, and I thought GTA would be cosolized and out of truly fresh ideas and outsourcing to pseudo-innovations like multi-perspective drop-in character swaps and other crap which has already been done, but wow, this map has made me reconsider. I've never played in a map this big that wasn't Wurm online or other MMOs or procedural minecraft gravel.

Does anyone know if this will have a day 1 PC release? I'm gonna get it on like day 4 when I've read some reviews and this forum to confirm it's not crap.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Eh, doesn't look that big to me. There's only one major city, too. But I guess it's difficult to get a feel for the scale from that image.
Besides, isn't GTA San Andreas supposedly one of the largest game worlds ever created? Don't see how it could be bigger than that plus two other open-world games.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
MHR said:
Sweet Zombie Jesus

-snip-
There has yet to be a confirmed PC release, at all. Speculation is that it'll be announced alongside the PS4 / Xbone versions. So end of this year / Q1 2014?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Grand Theft Auto IV - "Meh, decently sized."
Red Dead Redemption - "Huh, this place is pretty big."
GTA: San Andreas - "Oh hey, this city's pretty larg-Oh wait, WHAT?! WHY IS NATURE SO HUGE AND BARREN?! And there are two more islands to explore?!"
-My personal experiences with Rockstar's worlds.

Seriously, though, I'm hoping the world feels a lot bigger once I get dropped into it, because that map really doesn't do those scale shots justice. It seems as though they catered to every MC's style in terms of the world with plenty of leg room to screw around in. I'll probably be spending most of my time in the downtown portions of the cities because I'm expecting lots of gang violence and shoot-outs. But maybe that's a bit too hopeful.

Still, can't wait. The world's going to be massive with plenty of variety, so I'm happy.

Now just be fun to play with a neat story.

Please.