Graphical Effects Missing on Wii Metroid Prime

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
The graphical issues, though they bug me, pale in comparison to something else.Why can you only play this with the Wiimote? What. The. Hell.

What if someone never played Prime before and they want to try it without the Wiimote? They should at least make it an option.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I saw the differences in the water effects. I am not sure if this was a downgrade or maybe a purposeful decision. As someone previously noted, the ripple effects sometimes made it difficult to see yourself in Morph Ball form. Maybe they just took it out to make it somewhat easier to see Samus in the water?

As for the gun effects, I would assume this has to do with the particle effects now having to work on a movable 3D object rather than the static GC Version. Not sure if the Wii has the processor power to recalculate the 3D position of particle effects as you move Samus' gun. I also noticed they added Samus' hand to help 'steady' the gun, which is actually a nice touch and makes sense.

I haven't picked up Trilogy yet, are there any other changes? I know they said that loading times should be shorter and that they tweaked some of the boss fights. Anything else different?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Covarr said:
The water ripple was ugly, and frankly made morphball Samus harder to see than she should have been.

The gun effects were 2D effects. They worked just fine in the GC version with a static gun, but since the gun in the Wii version moves, it would have been really ugly, unless they redid it from scratch in 3D, which would be much more taxing than a 2D effect, and cost more money to make.

Also worth noting, these games aren't emulated. Emulation restricts it to all the limitations of the Gamecube (GC controller, in particular). They PORTED the game, which was likely a simple task since the two systems have remarkably similar architecture. Besides which, the Wii isn't NEARLY powerful enough to emulate the GC. Hell, the PS3 (80GB) can barely emulate the PS2, and GC is more powerful and therefore more difficult to emulate.

P.S. Thanks
From what I've seen in the video this makes the most sense, as creating particle effects for the gun while being able to wave it around would have caused some serious slowdown. It's not that big of a deal, anyways, and isn't something that should stop you from playing it.

When Halo 3 came out some guy with entirely too much time counted the pixels just to make sure he was going to get all of the 1080p he paid for. When he found only 720, he freaked out and caused an uproar about Halo 3 not really being HD.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
randommaster said:
When Halo 3 came out some guy with entirely too much time counted the pixels just to make sure he was going to get all of the 1080p he paid for. When he found only 720, he freaked out and caused an uproar about Halo 3 not really being HD.
Epic Win

LavosPrime

Jan 9, 2009
I play WAY too much Metroid Prime, and I assure you that the only changes I noticed in this video were the water effects (which looked odd anyway) and the 2D gun effects (which couldn't be used for aforementioned reasons). Anything else is probably a) a conscious or necessary porting decision or b) something that works differently in the new engine.

If there is even ONE MP game you don't own, Trilogy is most likely worth the money, and I'll be picking it up as soon as I have time to play through it all in my anal-retentive way. Even though I already have all three games. Because Wii controls are very, very shiny. Don't judge me.

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
In my opinion i believe that this is and the new Metroid Other M are love letters to the hardcore crowd from Nintendo who had left us for the casual "whore" instead of paying attention to us, eh doesnt matter though cause NO MORE HEROES 2 is coming 2010 yeah *****!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
The graphical issues, though they bug me, pale in comparison to something else.Why can you only play this with the Wiimote? What. The. Hell.

What if someone never played Prime before and they want to try it without the Wiimote? They should at least make it an option.
Even though Corruption's controls (and therefore the new Prime and Echoes controls) were incredibly highly praised and were considered one of the best parts of the title?

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I see only improvements myself. Sometimes, cutting things away results in an improvement. Shame about the gun-particles, but I won't bemoan the lack of water ripple.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
oh well, looks so slight i'm not fussed. still gonna be awesome, hopefully get it soon

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

Even though Corruption's controls (and therefore the new Prime and Echoes controls) were incredibly highly praised and were considered one of the best parts of the title?
You know that doesn't make it right. I still want to play it without the damn Wiimote.

Is that so much to ask? Hmm? Am I being an evil monster because I don' want to play it like that?

Yeesh, get the fanboy out of your ears and stop trying to defend them. You sicken me.

(not to offend, but come on. You're basically telling me it's not okay to want an option to use regular controllers. That's why I'll never get a Wii,if such retarded laws are enforced on their games)

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

You know that doesn't make it right. I still want to play it without the damn Wiimote.

Is that so much to ask? Hmm? Am I being an evil monster because I don' want to play it like that?

Yeesh, get the fanboy out of your ears and stop trying to defend them. You sicken me.
nothing is stopping you getting the original gamecube games with the old controls...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
congratulations, Nintendo, you are now a bigger moneywhore than before. shoddier and shoddier customer service. first the horrondous wii codes for play with friends online, and now this? geez.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'll just quote Matt Casamassina from IGN:

"All of these superb projects arrive in Trilogy with welcomed improvements. Prime 1 and 2 now boast 16:9 widescreen modes and, more importantly, the same Wii remote-enhanced control configuration that made Corruption the best-playing offering in the franchise."

"Metroid Prime now shines -- literally, I suppose -- with full bloom lighting throughout the entire adventure, an unexpected addition that layers more polish to an already-beautiful game. Unfortunately, the same technique could not be applied to Echoes, which utilizes different rendering methods."

It's unfortunate that 2D effects like the arm cannon freezing over or being enveloped in electricity had to be cut out simply because they didn't look good anymore, but it's better than letting them stay and drag the visuals down.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
spuddyt said:
Pendragon9 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

nothing is stopping you getting the original gamecube games with the old controls...
Oh, of course, because it was so much harder for them to put Gamecube controls on this Wii port. And of course it's so easy to find a Gamecube game these days without them trying to bury them in Wiimote whoring out.

Say all you want. You're not changing my mind on this. It was a dumb move by Nintendo, and that's it.

Whatever happened to having easily accessible games for the people who wanna get into gaming? Yeesh, now Nintendo is backstabbing it's audience once again. All the more reason to hate them.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
spuddyt said:
Pendragon9 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

Oh, of course, because it was so much harder for them to put Gamecube controls on this Wii port. And of course it's so easy to find a Gamecube game these days without them trying to bury them in Wiimote whoring out.

Say all you want. You're not changing my mind on this. It was a dumb move by Nintendo, and that's it.

Whatever happened to having easily accessible games for the people who wanna get into gaming? Yeesh, now Nintendo is backstabbing it's audience once again. All the more reason to hate them.
Easily accessible games for people who want to get into gaming... how does not adding GC controls to MPT in any way diminish the accuracy of that statement.
The Wiimote comes packaged with the Wii, the gamecube/classic controllers do not and likely serve little to no purpose to people just getting into gaming because they don't know of their existence.
And lets not even start on which is easier to use... actually lets.
What do you think is easier to pick up:
Point at thing you want to die and move with this control stick
or
Move with this control stick and then attempt to precisely aim with this little control stick. No... thats the movement one and thats the aiming one... Behind you... No not with that one.

Yes I am one of those people who finds console FPS to be awkward when compared to mouse/keyboard. The Wii provides a closer control scheme to what I believe is the easiest FPS controls.

Yes your preference to the other style of control is valid, and it would have been nice if they'd given people like yourself the option... but they didn't. It might take a little getting used to, but I refuse to believe that anyone could find the Wii controls harder to use than the twin thumbstick style of other consoles...

Seriously... point and shoot.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Pendragon9 said:
spuddyt said:
Pendragon9 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

Easily accessible games for people who want to get into gaming... how does not adding GC controls to MPT in any way diminish the accuracy of that statement.
The Wiimote comes packaged with the Wii, the gamecube/classic controllers do not and likely serve little to no purpose to people just getting into gaming because they don't know of their existence.
or
Move with this control stick and then attempt to precisely aim with this little control stick. No... thats the movement one and thats the aiming one... Behind you... No not with that one.

Yes I am one of those people who finds console FPS to be awkward when compared to mouse/keyboard. The Wii provides a closer control scheme to what I believe is the easiest FPS controls.

Yes your preference to the other style of control is valid, and it would have been nice if they'd given people like yourself the option... but they didn't. It might take a little getting used to, but I refuse to believe that anyone could find the Wii controls harder to use than the twin thumbstick style of other consoles...

Quick problem with your logic. The Wiimote is incredibly flawed still when it comes to "pointing and shooting". Even the Wii motion + doesn't alleviate all the problems it has. Sometimes it bugs out and aims in the wrong direction, sometimes it doesn't respond, take your pic of the problems that have arisen lately. Even when I tasted out Super PAper Mario on the Wii at gamestop (and again at a friend's house) I think I died a good amount of times to tell me that the Wii controls sucked to me.

And it's funny. Now you're sounding like a PC snob. "LOL ALL CONSOL CONTRULS R STOOPID! DUR HUR"

Damnit, I mean what is with all of you? Am I not allowed a valid complaint? Just more reason to hate Nintendo and it's fanboys.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
fletch_talon said:
Pendragon9 said:
spuddyt said:
Pendragon9 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pendragon9 said:

or

Quick problem with your logic. The Wiimote is incredibly flawed still when it comes to "pointing and shooting". Even the Wii motion + doesn't alleviate all the problems it has. Sometimes it bugs out and aims in the wrong direction, sometimes it doesn't respond, take your pic of the problems that have arisen lately. Even when I tasted out Super PAper Mario on the Wii at gamestop (and again at a friend's house) I think I died a good amount of times to tell me that the Wii controls sucked to me.

And it's funny. Now you're sounding like a PC snob. "LOL ALL CONSOL CONTRULS R STOOPID! DUR HUR"

Damnit, I mean what is with all of you? Am I not allowed a valid complaint? Just more reason to hate Nintendo and it's fanboys.
Better to sound like a PC snob than an ignorant little twat.
Was that a little harsh? Well perhaps if you don't like my evaluation of you you'll put the effort in to improve it.

Step 1: Don't claim someone is a PC control snob when their previous post specifically stated that preferring controller based FPS controls is as valid as any preference. In fact all I said regarding control schemes is that PC/Wii is easier. This was in direct response to you claiming that Nintendo was going back on a promise of accessibility.

Step 2: Stop whining. I don't demand Xbox or PS3 games provide a mouse option or motion control option just because that's what I prefer. The Wii's primary control method is the Wii remote, they do not owe you anything and thus are not required to add additional input methods just to please you. As I already said, yes, it would be a nice option, but its not there, and I really don't see how this is a major issue.

Step 3: If you wonder why you're getting so much hate, I suggest you take a good look at your last line of text and have a good think about what you've done. You are one of these people who consistently spew hatred for a gaming company because they don't match up to your standards. Forget that other people enjoy what they provide, according to you they are worthy of your hatred because they don't get down on their knees to blow you.

Step 4: People disagreeing with you are not immediately fanboys, this is a child's argument it needs to stop popping up in what would otherwise be semi-intelligent debate.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Schlorgan said:
Nintendo's spending all their money on casual games, and since they don't have any hard-core games for this year, they threw this together to try their hardest to compete with the PS3 and 360 price drops
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dead Space Extraction
Cursed Mountain
Final Fnatasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Fragile
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Valhalla Knights

And for the last time, there's no such thing as a hardcore game. Stop listening to the bullshit that the media generates.

And again, some of the effects were on a 2D plane, and the free movement meant that it would have looked out of place.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
fletch_talon said:
You know, I don't wanna even argue this anymore. My point is valid and yet you just wanna cast it away like it's garbage. So clearly making an argument is pointless.

So unlike you I'm going to walk away from this. The fact that I'm not even complaining about the graphics so much as I am about accessing it and yet everyone has to get into a hissy fit, it shows me that truly you people are never content unless you can whine about something. I should be allowed my right to complain about the Wii not being accessible to people who don't like the Wiimote. It's already been hammered in that they have "games for everyone" (as the guy above me said) and they don't care about graphics. That part I get. But if I can't use a controller their past systems have used and that they actively advertise on other games on the same console, I'm gonna complain about it. Is that so much to ask?

Besides, PC snobs like you ALWAYS demand mouse accessibility on the 360/Ps3. So it's ironic that you say that. But whatever. You've probably already decided your position on this, so please don't bother responding to me, because I don't want to continue this childish debate you want to keep. It's clear I'm not allowed an opinion here without everyone telling me I'm wrong, because I'm showing Nintendo at least another chance. I stopped caring about graphics and hardcore v casual demographics. I gave them that chance. But they're skewering my options for controls, especially when they WANT to be accessible to all gamers. That's a promise I expected them to keep. Don't blame me if they don't.

That's all I have to say.

One last thing: I'm sorry if I sound fanboyish or like a jerk, but I hear complaining all the time and for some reason Nintendo gets a free ride whenever it's directed at them. So pardon me if I think they shouldn't be given so much credit for their mediocre performance.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

(not to offend, but come on. You're basically telling me it's not okay to want an option to use regular controllers. That's why I'll never get a Wii,if such retarded laws are enforced on their games)[/quote]

Jesus Christ All-fuggin'-Mighty. I was simply pointing things out, and you jumped on me like I personally insulted you. Get the Wii Hate out of your ears and then come back and talk to me.

Pendragon9 said:
How is it easier for Wii Owners, many of which who don't HAVE a Gamecube controller, to use a Gamecube controller? Have you even played Corruption? It's by far superior to Prime's controls, which were, to be frank, shit. It's not the dual-stick control. The Prime controls are fucking terrible, and you want them to put them into a repackage... when the repackage is on a system that doesn't primarily use that controller anymore...

It's far more easily accessible because they don't have to buy additional equipment.

... You're calling me a fanboy? You're saying here that you refuse to change your mind, so there's no point in discussing it with you. You're just as close-minded as a fanboy would be. Pot calling the kettle black, I say.