Gravity Crawls

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Boris Goodenough said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I've never heard of it, but based on that "trifecta," I'll pass.
You don't like Adventure Time? :(
Heretic!!!
But back to the comic, I liked the look on Erin's face in panel 1, as lit up as her in-retrospect-flammable costume. the other woman not being that surprised this would happen was the kicker. Great work, guys!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
shiajun said:
I agree. Disney screwed up Tron:Uprising as well. It was the best animated cartoon I've seen in quite a while. Good scripts, damn good animation, excellent soundtrack (also surprisingly high number of derezzing of characters for a "kids" show). But hey, let's broadcast it a midnight on Sunday, and then ***** that not enough people are watching it. Then pull the plug.
That really pissed me off too. It was practically Tron's equivalent to Batman: The Animated Series. Yes, I'm saying it was THAT good. Because it really was: good scripts, music, acting, stories, characters, a visual design that was very true to the movies, and so on. And what does Disney do? Schedule it in the most ass-backwards time, on a premium channel that not many cable companies provide, THEN they complain about it getting not enough views. What the fuck did you think was going to happen to it, Disney? For fuck's sake.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Fasckira said:
shrekfan246 said:
SonicWaffle said:
OT: Yup, sailed clear over my bonce this time. Possibly because even as a kid, I never watched the Disney Channel.
Fasckira said:
Having not seen Gravity Falls though this strip is all over my head. :(
In the first panel, the sweater lined with lights is plugged into the wall.

I missed that too until Vault pointed it out.

The joke became a lot funnier when I figured that out. <.<
I got that it was plugged in, but don't know what the cartoon itself is referencing :p
The sweater caught on fire.

Erin became The Human Torch.

The Fantastic Four isn't really that obscure, is it?
Never saw it catch on fire... I assumed the link was just because it was lit brightly. Whos Mabel though?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ukomba said:
PunkRex said:
Ukomba said:
Ishal said:
Gravity Falls is one of the best shows around.

MLP:FiM
Adventure Time
Gravity Falls

The trifecta.
There are some good cartoons out right now. It's surprising after the waist land of 2008-2010 after the loss of Avatar, Zim, and Teen Titans.
I remember the late 2000's in general being fairly sparce although I was big into anime at the time, one lead to the other. I can only really remember watching Hartmans stuff like Fairly Odd Parents I didn't even see many Cartoon Networt repeats, I still had hang ups over Toonami.
True, but the 2008-2010 time frame in particular saw cartoon network airing CNreal with things like: Destroy Build Destroy and Dude, What Would Happen, BrainRush, ext, ext. "CNreal" probably the dumbest idea ever. The cartoons they were showing tended to be some version of Scooby Doo or Tom & Jerry, and, for a while, they seemed to be grabbing anything 'Fresh TV' made (6teen, Total Drama, Stoked). things are better now, but still not quite back the the mid to late 90's assortment.
I remember several 'real' shows popping up at the time from what seemed to be the 80's and not even to the standard of say 'Sabrina' like what they had on Nickolodeon. I just remembered being so disillusioned with my favourite thing in the world (cartoons) that I retreated into anime which I mostly stayed with until 2010 when I started to predict tropes in Shounen manga down to the script points... sad times. Then one day I was bumming around YouTube and found Ruby Gloom which I thought was just lovely and it was all up from there!
People my age who go on and on about this 'golden age of cartoons' from the 80's-90's really drive me nuts. Im not saying those wern't good times, they were, but its no excuse to over look the awesome shows of today because of the crap that was the late 2000's.
Im from the UK, so I don't know if we had the same scedule as the US, I hear they have some new psuedo-Toonami (SO MUCH WANT!), where are you from?

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
PunkRex said:
Ukomba said:
PunkRex said:
Ukomba said:
Ishal said:

Adventure Time
Gravity Falls

The trifecta.
There are some good cartoons out right now. It's surprising after the waist land of 2008-2010 after the loss of Avatar, Zim, and Teen Titans.
I remember the late 2000's in general being fairly sparce although I was big into anime at the time, one lead to the other. I can only really remember watching Hartmans stuff like Fairly Odd Parents I didn't even see many Cartoon Networt repeats, I still had hang ups over Toonami.
True, but the 2008-2010 time frame in particular saw cartoon network airing CNreal with things like: Destroy Build Destroy and Dude, What Would Happen, BrainRush, ext, ext. "CNreal" probably the dumbest idea ever. The cartoons they were showing tended to be some version of Scooby Doo or Tom & Jerry, and, for a while, they seemed to be grabbing anything 'Fresh TV' made (6teen, Total Drama, Stoked). things are better now, but still not quite back the the mid to late 90's assortment.
I remember several 'real' shows popping up at the time from what seemed to be the 80's and not even to the standard of say 'Sabrina' like what they had on Nickolodeon. I just remembered being so disillusioned with my favourite thing in the world (cartoons) that I retreated into anime which I mostly stayed with until 2010 when I started to predict tropes in Shounen manga down to the script points... sad times. Then one day I was bumming around YouTube and found Ruby Gloom which I thought was just lovely and it was all up from there!
People my age who go on and on about this 'golden age of cartoons' from the 80's-90's really drive me nuts. Im not saying those wern't good times, they were, but its no excuse to over look the awesome shows of today because of the crap that was the late 2000's.
Im from the UK, so I don't know if we had the same scedule as the US, I hear they have some new psuedo-Toonami (SO MUCH WANT!), where are you from?
Toonami has returned on Adult Swim, which is when the more adult themed shows air late at night. Steve Blum is still Tom and they are trying to keep it going, from what I know its been going good so far. Its on every Saturday night at midnight I think.

I don't remember the lineup but I know Naruto, Bleach(sigh), Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood, Eureka 7, Thundercats (the new version), Deadman Wonderland, and I think Trinity Blood or something similar is on there now too. They've been adding a bunch of stuff recently. They had like a 4 part movie type thing called Samurai 7 on there which was pretty damn good.

I agree. Things are starting to greatly improve. McCraken/Faust new show Wander Over Yonder is looking like it will be done soon, so that is pretty cool. The only thing I wish would stop happening is shows getting cancelled too fast.

I made the list earlier. MLP, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls. You could include others there like Regular Show, Phineus and Ferb, etc. But there should be at least double that. We'll get there soon I hope!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
-scrolls down-

Holy crap Dragon Half... I haven't seen that show in years!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ishal said:
PunkRex said:
Ukomba said:
PunkRex said:
Ukomba said:
Ishal said:

Adventure Time
Gravity Falls

The trifecta.
Toonami has returned on Adult Swim, which is when the more adult themed shows air late at night. Steve Blum is still Tom and they are trying to keep it going, from what I know its been going good so far. Its on every Saturday night at midnight I think.

I don't remember the lineup but I know Naruto, Bleach(sigh), Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood, Eureka 7, Thundercats (the new version), Deadman Wonderland, and I think Trinity Blood or something similar is on there now too. They've been adding a bunch of stuff recently. They had like a 4 part movie type thing called Samurai 7 on there which was pretty damn good.

I agree. Things are starting to greatly improve. McCraken/Faust new show Wander Over Yonder is looking like it will be done soon, so that is pretty cool. The only thing I wish would stop happening is shows getting cancelled too fast.

I made the list earlier. MLP, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls. You could include others there like Regular Show, Phineus and Ferb, etc. But there should be at least double that. We'll get there soon I hope!
My only beef is the lack of action orientated shows, the only current generation ones I can think of off the top of my head being Ben 10, Generator Rex, Thunder Cats and a few super hero tie ins none of which deal with the nature of violance itself (when and why to fight) like some of the older ones did. Last time I was engaged on that level was probeerly X-Men Evolution which was so freaking underated, or re-watching Samurai Jack on late night showings.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Every time I've watched Gravity Falls, I've loved the crap out of it. But the air schedule gets thrown around so much that I was under the impression that it had been canceled for being too original and interesting.

Apparently I need to find again!

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I have actually seen Gravity Falls and I was suprised that Disney Channel had something like it that made me laugh. It had the overt kiddy humor and the subtle adult humor and themes that make a truly great children's show. But knowing this is the same network that had A Dog With a Blog, I knew it wouldn't last. Seriously, who greenlit this shit?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I agree Gravity Falls is amazing.

Also DRAGON HALF!!!!

I still have the VHS downstairs. Half Slime princesses ftw.

I stole a still of dancing Erin for my Twitter profile pic, hope you guys don't mind <3

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
ElektroNeko said:
Great.

*Vid Snipped*

Now I'll have this song in my head the whole day.

[small]OMG I love Dragon Half! Best ED evah![/small]
I have no idea what you just made me watch, but I think I hate you.

Edit: Dammit! And now it's stuck in my head, too! >_<

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Happiness Assassin said:
Is still on air, in spite of Disney's best efforts. I wonder what they have against originality.

Slightly more on topic, that's a cute gif.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ZexionSephiroth said:
Is this comic implying that they set Erin on fire for wearing that?
No, the sweater is connected to an electric outlet and you can see some sparks flying from it. She managed to set herself on fire because of bad wiring.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Gravity Falls is pure awesome. The episode where they go looking for the creature in the lake makes me laugh no matter how many times I've seen it. I swear this cartoon makes my DVR worth every penny (although if it goes to DVD that would likely be a lot cheaper - but weekends aren't time for logic).

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Ah, I see the moderators are in full swing.

'I like Gravity Falls' is acceptable.

'I like Dragon Half' Qualifies as a low content post and will get a warning.

I can only speculate which one they're looking for advertising dollars from.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I seriously just listened to Tarzan Boy by Baltimora in its entirety while just staring at the dancing Erin. Twas surreal.

More on topic, I've seen one episode of Gravity Falls, and I wanna see more.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Was there a strip where red hared woman forgave Erin? I remember her being mad at Erin when Erin was crazy.