Great Bassist's.

Michaluk

Jan 30, 2012
What's your definition of "great bass player"? Is it his chops? Is it the genre of music he plays? Is it his compositions?

If you're just looking for players with amazing chops without regard to genre, look into fusion-jazz bassists like Jaco and Vic Wooten. The album "Jaco Pastorius" is very bass-centric and has some of the best playing you'll ever hear.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Jim Schumacher of Brocas Helm.

Never heard of him, you say? Well then...

Captcha - good job. Ya damn skippy.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
by talent i will go with either John Entwistle (the who), Les claypool or Alex Webster (cannibal corpse)
but in style i will go with Cliff Burton from metallica who is in my opinion the greaatest of all time. being a bass player you really appreciate how talented these bastards are.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Alright, I'm a total Pink Floyd fanboy. Roger Waters. Of course, there's Paul McCartney, too, and Geddy Lee, and Cliff Burton, and Flea, and all those other obvious choices.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I'mma recommend two younger fellas: Erlend Caspersen (currently in Spawn of Possession) and Nick Schendzielos (currently in Cephalic Carnage, and yes, I did have to look up how to spell his name). They both have Youtube channels where they upload videos of themselves making me feel inadequate: Bajskung for Erlend (Poopking in Norwegian (and before you judge him for that, Devin Townsend's channel is Poopy Nuggeteer)) and BassForDays for Nick. I'd check both of them out!

And a generic list of bassists whom I admire and/or have inspired me: Jason Newsted (got me playing bass in my teen years), Nefarious from Macabre, Bill Laswell from Praxis, Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse (also a superhumanly nice person), Eric Langlois from Cryptopsy, Sean Malone from Cynic, Jonas Hellborg from 4,000 different projects, Dick Lövgren from Meshuggah, Charles Mingus from his own band and Tony Choy from Atheist.

Also, I'm a bassist. You're all entirely free to call me great.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Flea of The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ue-Chan of Maxmimum the Hormone just solely on the fact that I am a sucker for funk and slap bass

heres a bass cover of Ue-Chan's work (chose the cover just so you can hear it better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1szaoDFiSU&list=PL2B6EA02AC51C810D&index=15&feature=plpp_video

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BKPEPn9CPw&feature=relmfu

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
The lack of John Paul Jones in this thread is greatly disturbing, you dissapoint me escapist. For those who don't know him he's the bassist for Led Zeppelin, absolutely amazing musician.

And yes Geddy Lee of course you can't say enough about this man, its not the fact that he plays Bass, keyboard, pedals, and sings, but he does them all amazingly.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Joseph Harrison said:
I'm going to throw in some love for John Myung of Dream Theatre and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.
Goddamnit, ninja'd. Dream Theater is the band I keep coming back to for many reasons, and John Myung's bass is one of them. Led Zeppelin also shares this award of good bass in songs.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Loki_Blackaria said:
Matt Freeman of Rancid.
Not quite a technical as most of your masters, but he plays it like he MEANS it.
I'm not a big Rancid fan, but daaaaaaamn:

And sticking with punk: Rob Wright of NoMeansNo?

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Launcelot111 said:
Mike Watt of the Minutemen/fIREHOSE/Dos/the Stooges/solo stuff. Not super flashy, but inventive, fun, and often the most interesting part of his band (which says a ton when with the Minutemen).

YES! YES, YES, YES! You sir, are correct. I see your Mike Watt and raise you a Joe Lally from Fugazi. That dude is amazing.

I fucking love Fugazi...

EDIT:

The Crotch said:
And sticking with punk: Rob Wright of NoMeansNo?
A big, hearty yes to this as well.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
On shear technical skill i would have to say Ivan Munguia from the technical-death metal band Brain Drill.

Mar 30, 2010
Loki_Blackaria said:
Matt Freeman of Rancid.
Not quite a technical as most of your masters, but he plays it like he MEANS it.
Matt gets my vote for his work in Rancid and Operation Ivy too (now I feel old).

I'm gonna throw in Newstead (formerly of Metallica) as well. Not perhaps the most technically gifted bassist out there (much like Feeman) but his solo on the Cunning Stunts tour has always stuck with me as a very haunting piece.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Geezer Butler without a doubt

One I doubt anyone would even think of listing, Joey DeMaio of Manowar. The band isnt all that great, but the dudes skill in examples like Achilles agony and ecstasy 8 parts is insane.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Nobody has mention Tom Jenkinson (A.K.A. Squarepusher)? Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers has said that he is the best electric bass player on the planet!
He can also do crazy things with a synth or five...
I think He and Les Claypool are tied for the best.

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
I know people have mentioned Wooten but for anyone reading who hadn't heard him

The dual layer parts where he plays the bass line and rhythm absolutely blow my mind.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
What the fuck guys... Steve Harris?? The man almost solely responsible for Iron Maiden's songwriting?