Great but little talked about game soundtracks.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So I think I've made a similar thread to this in the past, but what the hell, there's always room for new discoveries.

My suggested game soundtrack for you to listen to is that of Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica. As should be expected of a game with such a heavy story emphasis on music, it has a very good soundtrack that goes into a lot of different genres, sometimes multiple genres in one song, with elements of techno, choir, Welsh, lo-fi, and Middle Eastern music. I feel that the soundtrack really fits with the setting of the game which has technology that's progressed in such a way that it works almost like magic but after a lot of knowledge about how that technology works has been lost and humans only survive far above the clouds in towers or floating pieces of land.

Here's one example of the music from the game but I think if you like the sound of it then you should try listening to the rest of the soundtrack.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I remember loving this soundtrack when I heard it in the game. One of the first times I would just casually listen to a game soundtrack for entertainment on it's own.

Thought I'd linked the whole soundtrack playlist, but no. Just look for the full ost and enjoy.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure it's "underrated" (more that the game itself is underrated) but the Brigador soundtrack is incredible. It's so good that, while I haven't got round to buying the game yet, I'll occasionally just put the soundtrack on while playing other games.

Eh, one track is not enough.

I'm also a huge fan of the Stellaris soundtrack, not necessarily because it's the biggest, most face-melting soundtrack ever, but because I think it manages to walk a really difficult line very skilfully. In an action game you can get away with a big, bombastic soundtrack, but in a complex strategy game where the player has to have high level brain thoughts, I think there's a much bigger challenge in being immersive without being intrusive and I don't think I've ever seen a soundtrack do that as well. Plus, there's at least one or two tracks in each expansion which kind of slap.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Pretty sure this is a "little talked about" game soundtrack, seeing as I think I'm the only one that's talked about it :LOL:

I've posted it in other music forums. REALLY solid ambient chill EDM, from a really solid, ambient chill video game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Metal Storm.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh shit, and Shadow Run for the snes. This is how cyberpunk should sound.

Reactions: happyninja42

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Violent Storm Soundtrack

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Double Dragon II: PC Engine

The best soundtrack for the old DD games!

The factory level sounds like a chase scene you would see in an 80s or early 90s action film.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I've made no secret its my favorite game and game series, but I don't often bring up how great the soundtrack is and how often I listen to it. Its great, and often. Sooo....

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think more people should give a look at some of the songs being made for mods for the game Friday Night Funkin. There's a lot of really fantastic music being made by people. Here's three from my favorite mods.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I also feel like the Goemon games have some pretty memorable songs in them. It feels like most music in games that's meant to emulate traditional Japanese music styles trends towards the slower and more dramatic type while these more energetic or lighthearted songs get under-represented. I was surprised how nostalgic and familiar these songs were after hearing them again for the first time in maybe a decade.