Great four-player PS2 games

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Ever since I was a doe-eyed young lad, I've just thought of PS1/2 games as being two player. I never had a multi-tap, so I didn't go out of my way to find 4-player games. But after a bit of garage sale-ing, I finally found one after all these years! So now, what should I do with it?

The only games I can think of off the top of my head are Twisted Metal: Black and Red Faction...

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
That game was so much fun with 4 people. It was just a festival of death.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Champions of Norrath and it's sequel.

Also Digimon 4, though that game is a very very love it/hate it affair.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Don't forget Twisted Metal. Well, I'm 90% sure the ps1 games go up to 4player, not sure bout ps2 ones.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Project Eden.

4p co-op game, each character has a different role and special abilities, each character is 100% necessary due to having different puzzle solving actions. If you dont have the full 4 people, they will be AI controlled, with players being able to switch between them at will.

Dont use a guide or anything, its super fun the first time through with friends.

Kinda loses steam with each playthrough past the first though, since its mostly about puzzles and finding your way. Once you know the paths and puzzles by heart....well, still can be fun, but nothing will match up to the first playthrough.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The only must-have 4-player ps2 games that come immediately to mind are Mashed (Drive to survive in the US), and the Timesplitters series.

fissionmoon

Sep 14, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and second Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Having replayed it multiple times recently, I can say that without a doubt it still holds up today, and is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Oh come on peeps....

TIMEPLITTERS!!!! (1,2 and 3!!)

They are by far the best fun you can have 4 player on one screen on the PS2!

limberer

Dec 6, 2010
Fur fighters!! not much more fun shooting up little furry animal teddies till they explode into big balls of fluff

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Timesplitters. The only series where you can play as a brick throwing monkey, or a robot-mounted goldfish bowl wielding a flare gun.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
MajorTomServo said:
Ever since I was a doe-eyed young lad, I've just thought of PS1/2 games as being two player. I never had a multi-tap, so I didn't go out of my way to find 4-player games. But after a bit of garage sale-ing, I finally found one after all these years! So now, what should I do with it?
Man I know that feeling. I used to have the PS games that advertised multi-taps on the back of the case, but I could never afford one. But last year I found one in Gamestation for £5 so I went Amazon hunting for 4-player games.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is 4-player co-op campaign . And the X-Men games.

Timesplitters 1,2, and Future Perfect are great four player games, not sure if the campaign is more than two player or if it's just multiplayer.

And don't forget about PS1 games like Crash Team Racing. (or PS2 Crash Nitro Kart which just isn't as good) And Sports games like Fifa, Smackdown, Downhill Domination (though whether a game about racing downhill on a bmx while throwing water bottles at competitors is sport is another matter...fun though)

theprisoner said:
Tekken- Tag Tournament
Yes Tekken Tag is great four player, you get some really fun fights playing in teams of two.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
Squilookle said:
The only must-have 4-player ps2 games that come immediately to mind are Mashed (Drive to survive in the US), and the Timesplitters series.
So glad someone mentioned mashed.

Looking back, it's hardly one of the titans of the ps2 era, but me and my friends spent so much time playing that game it's ridiculous. We loved it so much we even played the weird half-controller control scheme when we couldn't use a multitap. Heaps of fun.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
There's Tales of the Abyss which is pretty fun if you and your friends dig JRPGs.It plays like a fighting game and has 4 player co-op.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Crash Team Racing
Crash Bash
Tekken Tag
Quake III

That is pretty much it. My 4 player childhood right there.

rwllay

Oct 9, 2009
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
any WWE game
Crash Nitro Kart (mediocre PS2 sequel to Crash Team Racing)

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
chiming in with the rest of the drones.

Timesplitters and wrestling games. especially Timesplitters, wish they made a new one... but then again there are so many ps2 era games i wish would have gotten seqeu.... OMG i sound like Moviebob... just mad for Sony instead

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Ratchet and Clank 3 has a 4-player local/online multiplayer I hear was pretty good. The multiplayer is also available in the HD collection, but by playing the PS2 version at least you miss out on some glitches.