Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Modern video game music has no soul, you have sweeping orchestral soundtracks every way you look.

True video game music was made with the PC Speaker.

Just brings a tear to my eye. That little speaker is trying so hard!
Yeah, they worked the hell out of the PC speaker.

Don't get me wrong, the MIDI and eventual orchstrated themes sound great too but it's amazing what the PC Speaker was able to pull off.

On a similar note, I have a soft spot for the Zelda theme on the NES. That 8 bit theme sounds really good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Modern video game music has no soul, you have sweeping orchestral soundtracks every way you look.
Depends on where you're looking. If you're just looking at the Western AAA space, then yeah it's almost nothing but generic orchestral bungus. Though if you look at the Japanese side, they put more into it. If I'm looking for memorable video game music at this point, I either go to them, the smaller studios, or indie.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Depends on where you're looking. If you're just looking at the Western AAA space, then yeah it's almost nothing but generic orchestral bungus. Though if you look at the Japanese side, they put more into it. If I'm looking for memorable video game music at this point, I either go to them, the smaller studios, or indie.

Please, don't embarrass yourself by exposing your completely unenlightened musical tastes. None of that can compare with music that is literally pushing technology to its limits!

Or who can forget the painfully beautiful soundtrack of LOOM?

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Please, don't embarrass yourself by exposing your completely unenlightened musical tastes. None of that can compare with music that is literally pushing technology to its limits!

Or who can forget the painfully beautiful soundtrack of LOOM?
I was not comparing any music. I was just making a comment. The music I just posted now had nothing to do with yours or comparing. I just like the music I posted. That is all. Plus, I didn't get a chance to post them up there yet.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Downloaded "My Friend Pedro" out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack, some really clean, cyberpunk, dark techno stuff.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Synthwave isn't normally my thing but Katana Zero has a surprisingly good soundtrack. Especially for a devolver digital indie game.

While I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, Hades OST seems to answer the question "If the Ancient greeks had electric Guitars?" with "It's pretty fucking awesome"

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Live version of Rivers in the Desert from Persona 5, which to my surprise is not sung by a black soul singer.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Buthole Surfers parody is surprisingly fitting for Nethack.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Why is the level up music in SMT games always so hype? Love the polymeter feel this has (even tho it isn't).

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Since I'm playing Earthbound again for the first time in a decade, I was reminded of this, which is one of the songs from the game, giving lyrical accompaniment(officially, I think it's from an OST) and a music video that nicely fits the game.