Great games you've never completed

blink

Oct 25, 2012
I just saw this post on bad games which people have completed
Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.819644-Worst-game-s-youve-ever-completed

I figured it would be interesting to create a thread on the great games which you've played but never completed! Whether it's because of one broken level or some saved game problems, I'm sure you've all really enjoyed a game but never finished it. some quick rules:

1. Not completed includes if you were going for 100% or all the collectibles but it never happened
2. YOU have to have liked/loved it, not the general public, YOU. It has to be a game that you genuinely enjoyed and wanted to complete.

I'll go first: I loved donkey kong 64 on the original Nintendo 64. When I was younger I used to watch my brother play until he got to the final level where you needed to have the rare coin from completing the original donkey kong minigame. He gave up for the day and I wanted to start a new account and accidentally deleted his account (I swear I double-checked that the account I was deleting WASN'T his but I was like 5). He was angry and didn't play that game again. Recently I reconnected the N64 and began playing the game all the way through to that same part and I still couldn't beat the original donkey kong! So I still haven't completed donkey kong 64 even though I loved that game and it's probably one of the biggest games of my child-hood.

So what was your experience? Was there one incredibly hard part which you couldn't get past or something else?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The Last story . I got to the end boss and stoped carring . Plus he's absolute bullshit . And i kinda forgot about that game . It's a real good game , despite being cliche as hell.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uhh... I'm pretty sure that a game I can't be bothered completing is, almost by definition, not a game that I loved and wanted to complete.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Half-Life. I got to this major cliff-hanger at the end of Episode 2 but Episode 3 must be really rare cause I just can't find it anywhere!

All right, fine, real answer. It doesn't happen very often for if I liked the game, I will try to complete it:

Dark Souls

I got to the part only a few hours in where a big-ass dragon roasts the bridge. I know what you're SUPPOSED to do there but for whatever reason, my 360 copy hates me because the frame-rate plummets there and I move like I'm going through a river of maple syrup. I've been told how I can get past this part even with this technical *****-slap but other games have now come out that have taken my attention away...

EDIT: Someone reminded me of this game in this thread

Lost Odyssey

I got to the JRPG cliche of "ONCE YOU ENTER THIS PLACE YOU CAN'T LEAVE UNTIL YOU'RE DONE MU HA HA HAAAAA!" part. Needless to say, I guess I didn't grind enough previously for once I got there, I was having a terribly hard time getting through the area.

Ultimately, I just had to quit for I couldn't get any farther. Which was a shame because that was one of the best RPG's I played in this generation...

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Final Fantasy IX. I'm pretty sure I got over halfway through the first time I played, but I decided to take a break from it as I often do while playing very long games...and then never got back to it. And then deleted my save file because I'm an idiot. I've since tried playing it again a number of times and while I love the game, Final Fantasies just take so long to get into their true groove. Still, perhaps one day...

And while I'm talking about Final Fantasy, I'll add V and X to the list as well. The former I got not too long ago and I haven't played much of it partly due to being distracted by other games, but it may very well suffer the same fate as IX. X, on the other hand, I started playing when I was pretty young and at the time some parts were too difficult for me. Plus I ended up watching my sister beat it, so the drive to stop sucking at the game dried up somewhat given I already knew what the finish line looked like.

Similarly, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal is pure R&C-style fun and part of a series I love, but spoiling it by watching Big Sis took away from the experience. I had that happen a lot when I was younger and she hogged my PS2. I own the HD collection as well and finished the first and second games, but it seems like UYA is doomed to be left in limbo for some reason.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Shinobi for the ps2. I just kinda forgot about it and really have no drive to finish it. It was really fun though.

Symphony of the Night. Best game ever? No I think it is a little overrated. Maybe not my cup of tea.

FF Tactics. Forgot about this one too. It just didn't click with me, there was a lot of crap to learn and I guess it got to me.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I'm gonna go with Final Fantasy IX. I got to about where you meet Eiko, stopped playing for a while, and just...never started up again. It's a good game, but I just...didn't care to start playing it again. I've been thinking of giving it a second go lately. Not sure if i will, though.

Feb 9, 2011
I literally dropped off the radar with gaming for like...over an year or two for some unknown reason. I guess I just lost interest in gaming, but I've just recently came back and have been playing catchup big time. Some notable titles that I loved, but never completed:

Elder Scrolls IV
Elder Scrolls V (playing it right now)
Blade Kitten
Boarderlands
Grand Theft Auto IV
The "Episodes" after HL2
Dragon Age: Origins (Never even started)
Any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game (own them all)
Cryostasis
Hydrophobia

...ect ect ect

I have so many games on my Steam list that I've never even touched since I left...A shame. However, I'm working on them now so it's not so bad. I have plenty to play now and there's not much coming out that I really want to pick up, so I have plenty of time to play them.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
KOTOR II. Even with the most current mods preventing glitches and providing the whole story I got bored wandering around in circles never knowing how/where/what to do to get the story moving.

Also Limbo--it's not a classic but it's popular. I just got bored with it.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zelda: Twilight Princess,

I got through a pretty big chunk of it, and then bored one day I decided to look up the ending on the internet. I was so disappointed by Midna's true form I stopped caring.

FootloosePhoenix said:
Final Fantasy IX. I'm pretty sure I got over halfway through the first time I played, but I decided to take a break from it as I often do while playing very long games...and then never got back to it. And then deleted my save file because I'm an idiot. I've since tried playing it again a number of times and while I love the game, Final Fantasies just take so long to get into their true groove. Still, perhaps one day...

And while I'm talking about Final Fantasy, I'll add V and X to the list as well. The former I got not too long ago and I haven't played much of it partly due to being distracted by other games, but it may very well suffer the same fate as IX. X, on the other hand, I started playing when I was pretty young and at the time some parts were too difficult for me. Plus I ended up watching my sister beat it, so the drive to stop sucking at the game dried up somewhat given I already knew what the finish line looked like.
This. I rented 9 when I was in the 5th grade, plade to disc 3 and disc 3 was fucked up so I never got to beat it.... I'm working on a Lets Play now of it though. :D

And I'm not like a big RPG guy, but 9 is such near and dear part of my childhood. I fucking loved that game. I loved the characters. I loved Zidane cause he was this arrogant womanizer, and I use to watch Happy Days on Nick at Nite so that character and The Fonz were huge influences on my young mind.... ahhh memories. For a long time I refused to replay it because I was certain however it ended I would be disapointed.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Zelda: Majora's mask. Technically, I did complete it. However, I used cheat codes to skip some stuff, so I don't think it should count.

Suikoden 2. I know the game is fantastic, but it felt kind of long too. At the time I had a lot of other stuff to do. Eventually I forgot about it, and replaying it now from the start would be kind of boring. I might do it when a longer period of time has passed.

Also, JRPGs that are like 100+ hours long. Especially since I tend to rage a lot when playing them. I went "fuck this" quite a few times when playing Persona 4. Just to put down the game and pick it up some days later. I did finish that one though, but JRPGs usually feels harder to complete because of their length combined with grinding...

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Copper Zen said:
KOTOR II. Even with the most current mods preventing glitches and providing the whole story I got bored wandering around in circles never knowing how/where/what to do to get the story moving.

Also Limbo--it's not a classic but it's popular. I just got bored with it.
Always amusing when someone makes it blatantly obvious they didn't read the OP.

OT: Half-Life 2. I forget which episode. I like the game when I actually know where to go and what to do, but there was one part during the rebellion in City 17 where I just could not for the life of me figure out what to do, and my pride won't let me consult a walkthrough.

Also The Walking Dead. I've loved every minute of the game so far, but some time during episode 2 I just stopped. No idea why.

PhoenixWright

Jun 23, 2013
Never beat a Pokemon game :/ I really just don't have the time to beat a lot of RPG's, especially grind-heavy ones like that.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Psychonauts. I played it a wee bit but this was after I was feeling in the mood to play a game with a different type of game play, so I dropped it for Borderlands. Later I tried putting it on my laptop and it would have issues on the integrated graphics, and wouldn't run on the dedicated graphics card.

EDIT: Also, if you're counting 100%-ing then Okami. I got 99 Great Beads but Kai's ain't one.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
It's pretty hard to come up with a game I both liked but somehow didn't finish. I gave up on Dragon Age II despite loving the first one.. A bugged quest event that ended up making me miss out on a companion prompted me to say eff it, maybe I'll come back some day.

I do have a knack for sometimes procrastinating a bit when I'm near the end of a game I really enjoy because I don't want it to end.

The closest I think I came to that is Soul Calibur 3. I enjoyed the game despite thinking most fighter games are kinda bullshitty with the cheesy AI tricks. The medium and hard difficulty eventually got too easy, save for a few characters, but going up one more notch made the AI opponents way too cheaty to be enjoyable to fight. I got pretty beastly with a custom character using Nightmare's moveset. But I played it quite extensively and unlocked almost everything (and that game has a ton to unlock) but there is this one special boss I can't remember the name of that I could never beat because he outright cheated and was grossly overpowered. Some big winged guy. I eventually got pretty good against him and would beat him down pretty far without getting hurt much myself but he always managed to pull some crap off and would turn it around and stomp me in the last few moments.

Eventually I just got too frustrated with it and gave up. Haven't played a game in the series since.

EDIT: I forgot the obvious, I've still yet to complete either the Dragonborn or Civil war quests in Skyrim despite getting I think some 50+ hours in on my main character and him being around lvl 60. I do enjoy the game but I often get so sidetracked with other stuff I end up getting to a point where I need a break before going back before I get around to the main quest lines.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Persona 3 - Could never finish the end boss. Fucking bastard.

Dragon Quest V - Got all the way to the end, but just getting to the final boss is a pain and by the time you get there your party is too weak to fight him.