Great movies that don't get the attention they deserve

Weentastic

Dec 9, 2011
Way of the Gun is one of my favorites. Some of the best gunfights you can see in a movie, and the main characters are particularly interesting. I guess some people thought the plot was complicated, but that doesn't seem like a justification for a bad movie.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Going back a few years i'd have to say Young Guns is a classic and should get more recognition.
Oh, hell yes. I haven't seen that in ages, but I remember it was great. The sequel wasn't AS good, but it was still a decent movie.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
xplosive59 said:
The Iron Giant: My favourite animated film, love the setting and the entire cold war back drop that changed a good film into a fantastic film. The ending still makes me tear up.
The Iron Giant has gotten a ton praise and attention. For the first few years in the 21st century, Cartoon Network played The Iron Giant for 24 hours straight on thanksgiving.

The Machinist: Got great reviews but no one I know has seen it. It's mind-bending plot keeps you really interested to its great ending.

STALKER: 4 hour long Soviet art film from the 1970s. This is where the game STALKER got its inspiration. Note the movie was made before Chernobyl. Granted it was widely loved in the USSR, it never got a large western audience.

The Road: If The Book of Eli had a little more refined brother, it's The Road. I like The Road much better though because it had some really heart pounding moments and really got into the psychology of a human loosing everything dear to it.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
A Satanic Panda said:
xplosive59 said:
The Iron Giant: My favourite animated film, love the setting and the entire cold war back drop that changed a good film into a fantastic film. The ending still makes me tear up.
The Iron Giant has gotten a ton praise and attention. For the first few years in the 21st century, Cartoon Network played The Iron Giant for 24 hours straight on thanksgiving.
I know it got critical praise and was a hit, but everyone I talk to seems to have gorgotten it when I bring it up in a conversation.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
1. Shutter Island: Most people understood and praised Inception. But not this one. It's a sad and stupid world we live in.
2. Thin Red Line: because Saving Private Ryan beat it to the finish line, that stupid piece of american-flag-waiving-self-ass-licking crap got the cake and ate it too. Thin Red Line is not only the best war movie ever made, it's also one of the best movies ever made.
3. Final Fantasy The Spirits Within: Shrek.... Everybody went to see that piece of trash... But not FF. Good job world! Let me put it this way. All 3d movies made so far are for kids. All are comedies. All are stylized. FF is still the only realistic 3d drama ever made. Guess why.
4. Sweeney Todd (2006), the BBC version with Ray Winstone: everybody saw that Tim Burton puke of a movie. But they missed out the superb BBC version. But "superb" is such an underwhelming term... anyway, since Tom Hardy is about to become a superstar with his Bane role, maybe fans will eventually pick this little gem up.
5. The Front Line (2011): a splendid Korean war movie which didn't even make the Oscars. One of the reasons I don't give a shit about the Oscars anymore.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Definitely agree with Shutter Island and The Prestige (both already mentioned).
But I would also have to include Serenity.

rebelscum

Jun 8, 2009
Other than some already mentioned (Stalker, Shutter Island and Brazil are all great shouts):

Galaxy Quest-A parody of Star Trek in which a bunch of actors from a cancelled 60s sci-fi show get recruited by aliens. It's got a great cast and is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Ivan's Childhood-A film about a Russian boy during World War 2 who's recruited for the army. It's a really harrowing look at war without needing a single battle scene, and has one of the best child performances ever.

The Mist-Stephen King adaptation in which a mist engulfs a town resulting in monsters besieging a supermarket. It's a great horror film both because the monsters look amazing and because the factions and divisions that form in the supermarket are arguably just as dangerous.

Eight Legged Freaks-It features a guy on a dirt bike kicking a giant spider in the face while mid-air. What more could you possibly ask for?

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
Tropic Thunder is a comedy masterpiece, and yet I've rarely seen it mentioned anywhere.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
HardkorSB said:
I would say almost every Terry Gilliam movie should get more attention.

I'm also going to get really unpopular by saying Alien Resurrection. Now I'll admit I don't know how it fucks with the overall saga and I don't care. I think that one is the most visually interesting movie in the series.
Then again anything by Jean Pierre Jeunet (especially Delicatessen) deserves more attention too.

But my favorite underrated movie of all time is probably Tom Waits' Big Time. Check it out on Netflix. It's the kind of movie that chokes your little bad days down to nothin.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
TWRule said:
I have a ton, but...

The Trial (1993) with Anthony Hopkins

Yeah, it's based on Kafka's book by the same name, and one could argue that book has had its share of attention, but if you haven't read the book, the movie gets the point across quite well. Everyone should see it at some point.
Bro, the Orson Welles version is way better. You should totally watch it, it's amazing.

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
Look as usual this is going to be ignored. But if you love movies, especially ones like "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" please, please, please ,please... Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXH-MIPzZQ
It's called Mr nobody and some of the people I recommended it too thought it was the best film ever made.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
the only reason Battle Royall seems to be getting attention is thanks to it,s comparison to THG

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
The Princess Bride.

That film knows what its wants to do and does it perfectly. I will always love it.

Edit:
karamazovnew said:
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within
Ok I don't normal criticise someone's film tastes (hell look at mine) but did you really like that film? I saw it with a few friends and frankly I found it awful, it looked great but aside from that I really didn't like it, be interesting to know what you liked about it.

Soulfoodman

Dec 20, 2009
Bunraku is one of my favorite movies. Speed Racer is pretty damn awesome too. I think both of these didn't get enough attention for how pretty and fun they are to watch.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
MoD1212 said:
Attack the Block, I mean we know about it thanks to MovieBob but it def deserved more media attention(at least here in the States)
I was going to choose this as well. Great little movie.
My other choices would be In The Loop (one of the best comedies I've seen in recent years) and a French prison drama called A Prophet, or Un Prophete.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
I do remember Children of Men. It was nothing short of perfect. I did really cry because of that movie.

But that may be because I cry about a lot.

I always loved that Disney movie Treasure Planet as a child, and I still do. I don't get why that doesn't have as much praise as I'd give it. It's a beautiful movie.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
henritje said:
the only reason Battle Royall seems to be getting attention is thanks to it,s comparison to THG
You ninjad me good sir, I tip my hat to you.

I couldn't fucking agree more, all my friends are just now watching BR because they heard about it being similar to THG, and even have the nerve to say it's not as good! That really brings my piss to a boil. I even bought the DVD recently (again, only released because of THG) and it even says on the back "If you love The Hunger Games, Battle Royale set the stage."

I just wish this amazing movie got recognized (here in America anyway) because of it's own merits and not because of the popularity of THG.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I like most of the stuff that comes up late at night on Film4, and most people don't seem to know about them. Examples: Synecdoche, New York - it was a weird film, but I kind of liked it, and Kung Fu Hustle, which is basically a parody of wuxia while being an awesome wuxia film in its own right.
Also, The Princess Bride. Now, I know that it's a pretty famous, incredibly well received film, and one of my favourites of all time, yet very few people I know have ever even heard of it, let alone seen it.
Oh yeah, and The Life Aquatic (with Steve Zissou (who is a character in the film played by Bill Murray)).

Captcha: make it so. Yeah, make it so, go watch them.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Osaka117 said:
henritje said:
You ninjad me good sir, I tip my hat to you.

I couldn't fucking agree more, all my friends are just now watching BR because they heard about it being similar to THG, and even have the nerve to say it's not as good! That really brings my piss to a boil. I even bought the DVD recently (again, only released because of THG) and it even says on the back "If you love The Hunger Games, Battle Royale set the stage."

I just wish this amazing movie got recognized (here in America anyway) because of it's own merits and not because of the popularity of THG.
personally I can't really say BR or THG is better but I think it has allot more impact to fight your classmates then some random people.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Sucker Punch and Shutter Island.
Though I do wish they put a tiny bit less feteshism in Sucker Punch.
Feels like it was put in just just to increase viewing, were as I think it acomplished the opporsite.