Great Sci Fi TV shows (except Star Trek)

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I wonder if any of you fellow geeks you could recommend me some amazing Sci Fi shows and tell me the reasons why you think they are so good. I'm out of a job for a while due to illness so I would like something to take my mind off it.

I've already watched.... Farscape (this one is my favourite so similar shows would be good) and all the Star Trek shows. (I've also watched Red Dwarf if you can count that as Sci Fi).

Thanks!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The X Files. I cannot recommend The X Files enough.

10 seasons, connected (sometimes loosely) by a wider, overarching mythology, but with countless self-contained stories: some spooky & mysterious, a few quite funny, and some genuinely fucking scary. Compelling characters, through from protagonists to villains, and some great moral ambiguity at times.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
While I doubt I'm one of Samtemdo's colleagues, I'll second Babylon 5. It was a show planned entirely in advance- the story ran for five years, and the show had to end after the fifth season, which is why it took so damn long to get a network to agree to air it. The show's creator wrote 92 of the 110 episodes; more so than almost any mainstream TV show, it was his baby, and it shows, both in the show's quality and consistency, and the toll it took on him. The idea of long, multiseason plot arcs isn't really a rare thing anymore (or so I'm told; I don't watch much TV), but B5 was definitely a pioneer in that field. And as wonderful as it is the first time around, a rewatching will show you not only nods and hints toward future elements, but earlier connections and even entire sideplots you missed the first time. And though few will catch it on the first runthrough (I certainly didn't), the music is absolutely fantastic; I ended up buying several of the CDs.

There are a couple of caveats, though: the special effects do look dated (B5 was also a pioneer in TV CGI, and the cutting edge of 1994 isn't so impressive now); the fanbase can be a little rabid ("yes, the show was excellent; no, it's not without its flaws or beyond criticism; and- hey! Stop biting my leg!"); and, well, you should know going in that this is neither a utopian Star Trek-style depiction of the future, nor a dystopian Twilight Zone-style one; bastardry and heroism both abound, sometimes in the same character, and occasionally at the same time. You don't see that often in sci-fi, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Roguebubble

Feb 26, 2012
Firefly. Great space western that's Joss Whedon at his best with an awesome soundtrack to boot too.

Doctor Who. Very enjoyable monster of the week time travel stories which are somewhat alike to the earlier Star Trek seasons. Quality does vary depending on the show-runner though but I would recommended starting with Russel T Davis series.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A number of the shows mentioned count for me. I'll also go on to say that Red Dwarf counts. It's just that it's science fiction comedy. Not an X-Files fan, more a Twilight Zone and Outer Limits buff. One show not mentioned yes: Blake's-7. It's as old and classic as Doctor Who, but I feel as though it didn't know what to do with itself, after a while. Kind of a shame, really.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
There are a lot of sci fi anime if you feel like branching out in that direction. I really like Trigun myself. It is clearly a relic of the 90's, but it has really interesting bad guys and the developing desert planet society setting feels bleak and living at the same time.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Fringe, basically the X-Files of the late 2000s and early 2010s. It's much better than the name would imply though and it has one of the best performances of John Noble (Denethor from Lord of the Rings) as a mad scientist (emphasis on "mad").

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Logan's Run
Lexx
Turbo Teen
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
BraveStarr
Silverhawks
Bionic Six
South Park

oRevanchisto

Mar 23, 2012
-Battlestar Galactica (Greatest show ever made); If you particularly enjoyed ST: Deep Space Nine you will love BSG. One of the lead writers on DS9 and TNG was the showrunner and it has many similar elements to DS9 except done even better.
-The 100
-Babylon 5

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, Babylon 5 is probably the best science fiction TV shows out there. It has vision of being one of the first american TV shows to be truly serialized, meaning it had an overarching story that continued on each episode, on each season, instead of being based on the typical "villain of the week". Characters got together, got apart, got promoted, got killed... and stayed that way. The only issue is that season 1 has some rough start and it wasn't until later on the season that the overall plot started, and the last season is completely avoidable. Without going to much into specifics, they were picked up for another season after they were canceled, so they had to a) complete the overall arc one season before planned, and b) extend some insubstantial threads into focus once they discovered they had another season to fill.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have The Twilight Zone. The classic one has no serialized episode, but it is an incredibly influential example of TV science fiction, fantasy and horror, and still holds up pretty well. If you like "classic" science fiction authors (like Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Arthur Clark, Philip K Dick or Alfred Bester), you should check this one out...

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Firefly, Doctor Who, Rick and Morty, Twilight Zone, Battlestar Galactica (1978), X-Files, Stranger Things, Westworld, Futurama

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
max headroom.. the defining cyberpunk tv show

black mirror im enjoying.. not every episode but still a great fucked up anthology show

travelers is a different take on time travel that i enjoyed in its first season

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
hermes said:
Yeah, Babylon 5 is probably the best science fiction TV shows out there. It has vision of being one of the first american TV shows to be truly serialized, meaning it had an overarching story that continued on each episode, on each season, instead of being based on the typical "villain of the week". Characters got together, got apart, got promoted, got killed... and stayed that way. The only issue is that season 1 has some rough start and it wasn't until later on the season that the overall plot started, and the last season is completely avoidable. Without going to much into specifics, they were picked up for another season after they were canceled, so they had to a) complete the overall arc one season before planned, and b) extend some insubstantial threads into focus once they discovered they had another season to fill.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have The Twilight Zone. The classic one has no serialized episode, but it is an incredibly influential example of TV science fiction, fantasy and horror, and still holds up pretty well. If you like "classic" science fiction authors (like Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Arthur Clark, Philip K Dick or Alfred Bester), you should check this one out...
Just be aware that Babylon 5 dialogue is not great, thier season budget was as big as one Star Trek episode, it's the first show to regularly use CGI and the acting can be stilted, particularly from Michael O'hare.

It's so good that it's competitor DS9 tried to have long storyline. There started being consequences in Star Trek shows. It upped everyone else's game

Edit: Black Mirror is really good too

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Babylon 5:
The first season is a tad...ruff...but it pays off in a HUGE way.
Seriously, B5 is BEYOND fucking great. The movie are also pretty good as well.

oRevanchisto

Mar 23, 2012
I'm honestly surprised with so many B5 recommendations and hardly any BSG mentions. BSG is the vastly superior show, not that B5 isn't great.