Great Stories that deserve Better Games

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Persona 4.

I fucking hate turn-based RPGs, and just played with cheats on an emulator because I loathe the combat so damn much.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
This should be painless...

Well, Bioshock: Infinite apparently has a fantastic story. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it, because the shooting action was a god awful mess. In this case I'd say the setting and visual design deserved better gameplay.
I really don't get how the shooting was god awful. I'm a pretty serious hardcore shooter gamer (I won't play BF and COD because there's no leaning) and nothing about Infinite is bad from a shooting perspective. The game is all about using power weapons in combination with vigors to do awesome shit. I was quickscoping with the sniper rifle just fine and without any aim-assist (unlike COD). Yeah, using a standard machine gun is very average in Infinite but you really shouldn't be using it unless you're in a pinch and even going for the scavenger achievement/trophy on 1999 mode, you shouldn't be using standard weapons much either.
shapaza said:
What exactly did you not like about the shooting action? I'm curious.
Then I guess it worked for you.

But for me... Enemies just bum rush you, without even the slightest hint at self preservation or tactics. They just come out of nowhere and start blasting at you like killer robots. And there's no way to anticipate their attacks since the enemy placements are so bad. The only thing you can do is stand there, soaking up all the damage and hope you kill them before your health bar runs dry.

There's no satisfying feedback to shooting enemies either since they're just bullet sponges that soak up all your fire without flinching, only showing that they're hurt when they fall down dead.

The two weapon limit is fucking infuriating in a game where you're forced to constantly shoot countless goons crawling out of the woodwork. Instead of giving you a steady supply of guns in your inventory to allow you to choose the right sort of weapon to use for any given enemy, you have to run around whenever your guns run dry in the middle of a fire fight to grab a fallen enemy's gun and hope it's somewhat decent and well stocked with ammo.

And the guns themselves feel like crap. There's no punch to them at all.

The weapon upgrades add to the frustration, since you're likely to pump all upgrades into your current two weapons. But when those run empty you have to switch them for un-upgraded weapons, since you're not going to spend money on weapon upgrades for guns you're not currently using. This would've all been fixed if they didn't restrict you to only two guns.

And all of this would've been fine if the game wasn't 90% shooting.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
HA! Bet none of you heard of THIS one! .hack, an action/strategy RPG. This series has an AWESOME story. I love it. The characters were unique and memorable. The villain was awesome. The plot line was even new for it's time (basically Sword Arts Online before Sword Arts Online for you anime nerds out there, but with more mythology and symbolism. And before you ask, no, it's not pretentious about it). So what's the problem here?

Well, honestly, it's not the gameplay. It's not the most inspired, but it wasn't bad. The problem is how it's delivered. The game as a whole is four disks. Each disk is sold SEPERATELY. When they were new, they were forty dollars. PER DISK! The blow is softened by the fact they were sold with a part of an OVA that accompanied (and did in fact add to) the story with each disk (well, until G.U., which has no excuse in that regard), but that doesn't really do much, especially today when the whole package is still an accumulative total of $120 used from Amazon (you might not get the OVA disks, either).

G.U. is something of a different beast because it's updated with a darker story, a more robust combat system, three disks to the last .hack series' four, and a lot less pointless side-questing stuff. However, without an accompanying OVA, there's really no justifying the old $40 price point from back in the day that EACH DISK HAD!

So yeah. There's a lot to love about these series, but the way they were sold, nobody wanted to buy them, and for that, I am disappoint. So if they were repackaged for one case per series, maybe put the whole OVA onto ONE disk to accompany, .hack would be something worthwhile, but for now...there's a reason why it hasn't seen beyond the edge of the bargain bin.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
SomeGuyOnHisComputer said:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

The story is amazing, and fairly innovative (well, at least the way it's told is). While it's hated now, I think this game might be considered significant in the future.
The game itself is just so frustrating, shallow, and buggy. It was clearly rushed out for the holidays.
Who hates shattered memories? Most people I talk to enjoyed it rather well, no combat aspect aside.

That would have been a good fix to start. Take it off the wii and introduce us to some combat akin to Downpour.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Dragonpit said:
I would like to have a word with you about not knowing .hack :p

But seriously, I fully agree with how it could have been handled a lot better. My personal choice would most likely be KOTOR 2. The glitches and even crashes did bug me a fair bit, though it still has to be my favourite Star Wars game to date.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
irequirefood said:
Dragonpit said:
I would like to have a word with you about not knowing .hack :p

But seriously, I fully agree with how it could have been handled a lot better. My personal choice would most likely be KOTOR 2. The glitches and even crashes did bug me a fair bit, though it still has to be my favourite Star Wars game to date.
So someone here knows. Well, that's all well and good. 99.9% of time, no one else does.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
So it turns out no one likes to actually play video games...
OBJECTION!!! We do; it's just that perfection is in fact a non-existent concept, and so there is no game without some sort of flaw. In THIS particular category are games with awesome story, but some other painful defect that brings the experience down. You know, like it says in the forum title?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
AC 4. Yeah I said it. I loved the cast but my god the gameplay is terrible (inside the animus anyways). Once you had to go on dry land it became a chore to play. Missions just repeating themselves with this tail, easedrop then chase formula. Boring assasinations and combat. And don't get me started on the Kenway fleet facebook type game

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
CarlsonAndPeeters said:
Don't get mad at me: Mass Effect.

I think its really cool all the lore that they put into the game. But its not intertwined into things at all; its all kept in massive paragraphs on a menu. And the gameplay just never really engaged me so I couldn't even finish the first installment. It does seem like a really cool Sci-Fi world though.
MysticSlayer said:
Definitely the first Mass Effect game. The game had an incredible story with some of the best writing of any game this generation. However, the terrible AI, clunky controls, horrible Mako segments, and constant frame rate issues definitely held the game back. I've never been able to play through the game without loosing interest at some point and picking up another game for a few weeks. I always finish it, but the story and characters are the only reason I bother to deal with its gameplay.
Chaps, I agree with you completely. I had major problems with the combat controls in the first Mass Effect and have not played the others because of this.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
Jumjummju said:
Persona 4. Probably the most engaging story I've ever read. It's just a shame that I have to grind for bloody hours to get to any of it.

Also, f*ck Shadow Mitsuo. That is all.
This, but for persona 3. It took me a good six months to get through its successor and I LOVED the story. P3, however, was just too much to bother with. Same damn clock, same damn grinding and it took me a while to realize that I wasn't actually getting any further, because the teleporters don't save the floor you are on, unless it is a specific one (that one took me a while to realize.)

That aside, the town is difficult to mentally map out, so I never know where anything is and your freaking social links can "break", if you don't hang out with a character for too long. That last one I can kinda understand, but it adds too much stress and- wait? There's a movie coming out? Well, screw this then!

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Go on then...i'll add Shining force since i've just been replaying it again. Great game, great story but lacking in any real depth of gameplay. With some tweaks to the combat system it could be a classic again!

Jun 20, 2013
The Apple BOOM said:
I can understand frustrating, but that's part of the point of horror games. I don't understand shallow and buggy. I've heard a lot of complaints about that game before, but those two definitely weren't one of them.
While I understand frustration is usually part of horror games, mostly due to the games using loss of progress to make death something to be feared. Most horror games tend to do a hell of a better job managing that frustration, at best taking advantage of it in order to make the experience addicting.

Shattered Memories just feels frustrating for no good reason. I'm not angry when I lose because I'll lose progress, I'm angry because it means I'm stuck in this stupid chase sequence for at least another round. I just want to continue with the story, or at least the part of the gameplay that doesn't piss me off. Basically, it's not frustrating in the way that old Silent Hills or Resident Evils are, which was just enough to make me want to continue, it was a different kind of frustration. There was nothing at stake, it was like the game was too easy and too difficult at the same time, it just made me want to turn the thing off. If that made sense.

As for being shallow. Shallow may have not been the right word, but the entire thing felt too streamlined, there were only one or two sections were it truly felt like I was exploring a world and not walking through a predetermined set of hallways. I usually don't mind streamlined games (I mean, Killer7 is my favorite game), but this one just felt like it took it to such an extreme, it felt like David Cage took a David Cage game and made it more David Cagey. Other Silent Hill games were "controlled" too, but in those games it's kind of subtle. SM outright throws you in a set of hallways with one or two exits. The entire thing just feels like a set piece. I realize that's probably intentional on the designer's part, that doesn't mean it can't bug me, this is my subjective opinion after all.

The game is very buggy. Every session had me restarting the Wii at least once because of a game breaking bug. I wish that was an exaggeration, it really wasn't. The game is close to just being a buggy mess.

At this point, I should probably reiterate that I don't hate this game. It just has some issues keeping it from being amazing as a whole.

Vausch said:
Who hates shattered memories? Most people I talk to enjoyed it rather well, no combat aspect aside.

That would have been a good fix to start. Take it off the wii and introduce us to some combat akin to Downpour.
Really? The vast majority of people I know who've played it (both off and online) just outright hated it. Usually because of a combination of it being a Wii game and the no combat thing, although some simply looked for reasons to tear it apart (probably because it's Wii game, or fanboyism, or both *cough*xplay*cough*) You must know more Wii gamers than I, because a lot people I tried showing it to almost immediately dismissed it because it was a Wii game, among other reasons.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Soundwave said:
How about a finished version of Xenogears? It was a really solid rpg for the first disk. If they'd only done that game right, we wouldn't have the even bigger mess that was Xenosaga.
Yeah Xenogears could have gone on for another 50 hours if the budget didn't get cut for the 2nd disc. Would love to see a remake off it on the Vita with the original content it was intended to have.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Flames66 said:
CarlsonAndPeeters said:
Don't get mad at me: Mass Effect.

I think its really cool all the lore that they put into the game. But its not intertwined into things at all; its all kept in massive paragraphs on a menu. And the gameplay just never really engaged me so I couldn't even finish the first installment. It does seem like a really cool Sci-Fi world though.
MysticSlayer said:
Definitely the first Mass Effect game. The game had an incredible story with some of the best writing of any game this generation. However, the terrible AI, clunky controls, horrible Mako segments, and constant frame rate issues definitely held the game back. I've never been able to play through the game without loosing interest at some point and picking up another game for a few weeks. I always finish it, but the story and characters are the only reason I bother to deal with its gameplay.
Chaps, I agree with you completely. I had major problems with the combat controls in the first Mass Effect and have not played the others because of this.
Well, if you managed to make it through the first game, Mass Effect 2 drastically improved the gameplay over the first game. It did suffer from watering down the RPG mechanics, and a lot of people would argue that the writing also took a major hit (I'd say it has the worst writing in the series, but it is still better than most games), but it definitely improved on pretty much all the technological and gameplay problems the first game had.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Then I guess it worked for you.

But for me... Enemies just bum rush you, without even the slightest hint at self preservation or tactics. They just come out of nowhere and start blasting at you like killer robots. And there's no way to anticipate their attacks since the enemy placements are so bad. The only thing you can do is stand there, soaking up all the damage and hope you kill them before your health bar runs dry.

There's no satisfying feedback to shooting enemies either since they're just bullet sponges that soak up all your fire without flinching, only showing that they're hurt when they fall down dead.

The two weapon limit is fucking infuriating in a game where you're forced to constantly shoot countless goons crawling out of the woodwork. Instead of giving you a steady supply of guns in your inventory to allow you to choose the right sort of weapon to use for any given enemy, you have to run around whenever your guns run dry in the middle of a fire fight to grab a fallen enemy's gun and hope it's somewhat decent and well stocked with ammo.

And the guns themselves feel like crap. There's no punch to them at all.

The weapon upgrades add to the frustration, since you're likely to pump all upgrades into your current two weapons. But when those run empty you have to switch them for un-upgraded weapons, since you're not going to spend money on weapon upgrades for guns you're not currently using. This would've all been fixed if they didn't restrict you to only two guns.

And all of this would've been fine if the game wasn't 90% shooting.
The enemies don't rush as much as the splicers in the 1st Bioshock. The hardest part on 1999 mode was actually a section that I didn't expect to be tough at all, it was a section where all the enemies stayed back and one of them pelted you with a volley gun.

You'll get some feedback when using the power weapons, there's really no reason to use the pistol, machine gun, carbine, etc. I used the sniper rifle and shotgun for the vast majority of my play even on 1999 not using the vending machines, there's plenty of ammo to be found. If you are using the vending machines, you get ammo for your guns after every fight. The 2 weapon limit wasn't needed but it wasn't that big of a thing either as like I said I used the same 2 weapons all game. The weapon upgrade system was fine because you can constantly use your favorite guns. Throwing out crows, then devil's kiss for the vigor combo, and then shooting them with the sniper rifle is pretty much an insta-kill. Then, if you have the Overload gear, you'll electrocuting enemies as well with pretty much any sniper rifle or shotgun kill. There were times when I had the frame rate chugging along because of all the crows, fire, and lighting going off. Of course, bunking bronco plus the shotgun is so awesome. The sound effect when headshotting with a shotgun is so satisfying.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
SWTOR.

Why can't we have nice things, EA? We could have had KOTOR 3. And while I enjoyed playing SWTOR for a few months, it just boils down to a standard MMO, and the questing system gets very tiring after a while. There's enough story content crammed in there for at least a few Star Wars games, but it was really wasted.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Dethenger said:
EternalNothingness said:
Definitely Dragon Age: Origins. Even on casual mode and with the patches further reducing the difficulty level, the combat is still incredibly difficult!
The combat is very hamhanded, but not particularly difficult; it probably just felt impossible because nothing really worked. The only way it plays out in any really organic way is if you're a mage. I tried going for a dual-swords rogue sort at first. Felt clunky and awful. Decided to start over as a mage, wrecked pretty much everything with AoE attacks. Only time I died was at a point where I was intended to die.
If you're talking about the point I think you are, with the legion of crossbow knights and the two-handed leader, it doesn't exist as a "intended to die" thing. You CAN beat it and I have as an Arcane Warrior, it's just not as much fun afterwards if you do beat it...you do get the neat two-handed sword though.

OT: I do agree though, DA:O and DA:2 had bad gameplay for similar reasons, though DA:O had great lore and a good storyline, and DA:2's story merits are arguable but I rate them at average-good. Here's hoping DA:I will make up in gameplay and round off the story properly.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
EternalNothingness said:
Definitely Dragon Age: Origins. Even on casual mode and with the patches further reducing the difficulty level, the combat is still incredibly difficult!
Honestly, I didn't find the game particularly difficult outside of the first dungeon. That's because I decided I should start my collection of allies in the forest which requires you to fight a freakin' drake and since up until that point the occasional healing potion proved sufficient I didn't have a healer. All this meant that the drake could easily wipe the party. Beyond that one fight, careful application of magic along with minor dabbling in the tactics system was sufficient to easily see me through most of the game.

Now, Baldur's Gate is another story. That's a game that has no compunctions about murdering your party with something as simple as an unlucky roll. I'd dearly love to see that saga remade in a better engine, preferably one that ditches AD&D 2.5 rules for something sensible.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Silent Hill 4 deserved better gameplay. My biggest issue with it is the damn Ghosts and the last half of the game. Silent Hill 3 is my favourite horror game and it's gameplay was fine (for a Silent Hill game), I don't see why they decided to remove the exploration. The Ghosts cannot die and as such if you pause for a second or two expect to get stunlocked and sorrounded by enemies. You also spend the last half of the game backtracking, and unlike Bayonetta, Halo: CE, BioShock etc, Silent Hill 4 doesn't really do much besides making it so you take damage none stop with barely any health kits to keep you afloat, to the point where your safe haven actually does damage to you by standing in it. There are also barely any puzzles in it which utterly baffles me.

Silent Hill 4: The Room's story was much better than 1, 2 and 3's but it shot itself in the legs with the gameplay. It's a shame because the first half of the game is actually pretty ok if you can learn to avoid exploration.