Great Stories that deserve Better Games

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Gunjester said:
When I say intended to die, I don't mean that you can't win, I mean that death still results in progression, rather than returning to a previous save state/ checkpoint. Like how in Kingdom Hearts, you can beat Leon when you fight him in Traverse Town, but even if you don't, the end result is still the same. You don't have to keep on trying until you win, they very deliberately made it so that you could (and were most likely going to) fail, and still progress.

There are some games where "intended to die" means that they just flat-out kill you, but I don't particularly like that.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Dragonpit said:
HA! Bet none of you heard of THIS one! .hack, an action/strategy RPG. This series has an AWESOME story. I love it. The characters were unique and memorable. The villain was awesome. The plot line was even new for it's time (basically Sword Arts Online before Sword Arts Online for you anime nerds out there, but with more mythology and symbolism. And before you ask, no, it's not pretentious about it). So what's the problem here?

Well, honestly, it's not the gameplay. It's not the most inspired, but it wasn't bad. The problem is how it's delivered. The game as a whole is four disks. Each disk is sold SEPERATELY. When they were new, they were forty dollars. PER DISK! The blow is softened by the fact they were sold with a part of an OVA that accompanied (and did in fact add to) the story with each disk (well, until G.U., which has no excuse in that regard), but that doesn't really do much, especially today when the whole package is still an accumulative total of $120 used from Amazon (you might not get the OVA disks, either).

G.U. is something of a different beast because it's updated with a darker story, a more robust combat system, three disks to the last .hack series' four, and a lot less pointless side-questing stuff. However, without an accompanying OVA, there's really no justifying the old $40 price point from back in the day that EACH DISK HAD!

So yeah. There's a lot to love about these series, but the way they were sold, nobody wanted to buy them, and for that, I am disappoint. So if they were repackaged for one case per series, maybe put the whole OVA onto ONE disk to accompany, .hack would be something worthwhile, but for now...there's a reason why it hasn't seen beyond the edge of the bargain bin.
There are a couple of us on this site that played that series. And I would have to say I didn't mind the price of the games new (because have you looked at how much they cost these days. Its insane) because you got a good solid twenty hours of basic gameplay out of each of them. Sure they could have done more for each game and fixed issues with that previous games had in each series but I feel like you got a good bang for your buck.

Cpt. Lozan

Feb 28, 2013
KOTOR 2. Not that it deserved better gameplay, it just deserved more time. The portions of the game that Obsidian ACTUALLY FINISHED are outstanding, but large portions of the game just feel half-baked, hell, an entire planet is missing. It could have been such a worthy successor to KOTOR, but LucasArts just had to rush it.

Edit
Dragonpit said:
Those games were extremely popular with the fans of the show when they came out. Almost everyone I know has ATLEAST one, and I and a few of my friends have all of them, and the GU games. The fact that they came on so many disks was OK, since the whole game was colossal and I doubt that they could have fit it on any less than 3 disks. Also, since they took so long to make the whole game, they could take the time to make a rich and full world. Any less than what they delivered would have betrayed the source material.

PS: Everyone remembers ./Hack. Everyone.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
This should be painless...

Well, Bioshock: Infinite apparently has a fantastic story. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it, because the shooting action was a god awful mess. In this case I'd say the setting and visual design deserved better gameplay.
Ah-hah... You're not missing much.