Greatest Game Opening EVER!!!!

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Topic title says it all seeking the greatest game opening ever can be an opening cutscene gameplay bit or anything really just the greatest game opener you can think of. Now to end this topic by placing the unbeatable answer straight off the bat

ENOUGH SAID CASE CLOSED now inviting rebuttal

Feb 28, 2008
Probably God of War 3? I mean, it's the culmination of 3 games and a direct lead-on from the previous. You're scaling Mount Olympus on the back of Gaia while fighting Poseidon and then getting knocked down to Tartarus by Zeus' lightning bolts. I mean ... what more could you throw into an opening?

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
This is probably my favorite:

Does a really good job of introducing all the charactors, who they are and what they are fighting for, while being well edited and having a score that gets you pumped to play the game and kick some ass.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Super Metroid, Half-Life 2 and Shadow Of The Colossus easily in my book. Your Darkness 2 opening has been done many times before and it's too long and boring.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I love how effectively this intro evokes the atmosphere of the world you're about to enter.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Djinn8 said:
This is probably my favorite:

No and you were so close as well sorry but thats only the third best SC opener ok second technically.

Anyway the best game opening [b/]ever[/b] is this

Im glad we are all in agreement ok you can close the thread now.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c2tX0Tdp-Q

Brian Cox is a god among actors.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Iwata said:

Is it normal to watch Killzone cinematics and find yourself wishing that the game let you fight as the Helghast?

Why would I want to side with a bunch of macho jock stereotype space marine dudes when the opposition has Brian Cox, Malcolm McDowell and Ray Winstone?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Sixcess said:
Iwata said:

Is it normal to watch Killzone cinematics and find yourself wishing that the game let you fight as the Helghast?

Why would I want to side with a bunch of macho jock stereotype space marine dudes when the opposition has Brian Cox, Malcolm McDowell and Ray Winstone?
Not only that, but the game's background makes it pretty clear that it's the ISA's fault that the Helghast were put in a position where they felt bitter and cornered, and needing to fight back.

I'd love a game that'd allow us to fight as the Helghast myself.

Midnight Llamaman

Jul 15, 2011
This is one of the greats. I don't care if it's a true opener to a game as it's an MMO but God damn did it get me pumped. Being a WC3 player really made that expansion personal, Arthas was both my homeboy and my personal asshole nemesis.

Other than that, I'm not sure - Freespace 2 had a pretty bad ass opener. I mean hell, but I'm pretty sure that's my favourite game ever so I'm a bit biased. Volition used to be so boss, even more boss than they are now.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
DJjaffacake said:
You effing die
We have a winner here I think, but something that I realised recently concerning the very first scene that annoyed me...

In ME3, why the hell doesn't Miranda (assuming she's still alive) just tell you where Cerberus headquarters is when she's been there?! Seriously, she's stood in that very room in Cronos Station with The Illusive Man, but at no point in all you interactions with her after she's left Cerberus, who have now put a price on her head, does it occur to her to tell you where their mother-fucking base of operations is? Instead, you have to jump through a whole series of hoops, including her planting a tracer on Kai Leng so he'll lead you back to their base. Again, I have to ask why all that is necessary when she already knows where it is and could have just effing told you?! So I guess you could say everything Cerberus gets up to for the whole second half of the game is her fault. Fuck that *****!

Barry Purse

Dec 15, 2010
Gravity Bone!

All ten seconds of it.

But srsly, the way it just throws you in is something I'd like to see more in games!

Mar 26, 2008
bahumat42 said:
<youtube=uOTLrV_9t4Q>

how was this not up sooner
shame about the rest of the game though :/

oh well sequel soon :D
Cage The Elephant are awesome, but I'm going to have to go with the opening of Bioshock. From the very start where you are in the aeroplane, to the logo rusting over and culiminating in the bathesphere trip down to Rapture. All of it managed to generate both an atmosphere of wonder and dread at the same time.