Greatest Voicework in a Game, EVER!

Libra

Feb 4, 2012
I'm gonna go with Kari Wahlgren as Raine Sage in Tales of Symphonia. Very understated but emotional performance. Especially the family scene in Exire (people who played the game probably know what scene I mean)

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Seriously though I would go with Ellen McClain as GLaDOS

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Mocmocman said:
Gordan Freeman Joke.

Anyway...
+ 1 to Glados
+ 1 to Andrew Ryan
+ 1 to Wheatly
And I felt that Comstock was pretty good in Bioshock infinite. He had the perfect voice for his "Destroy the Sodom below" type speeches.
Gordon Freeman lol

the protagonist in Bioshock Infinite (whos name suddenly escapes me) was ok but Elizabeth was great, not just her voice acting but her whole character was perfect and really made that game. Even the way they use her in battle is fantastic and makes the game, your firing away and looking at your ammo running out and getting stressed and then you hear "Ammo, Catch" and then a gun comes flying to you. That is just awesome

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
Very, very specifically, the voice of Spectre in the spanish version of Ape Escape. It might not be intentional but the schizophrenic tone adds real depth to the character.

quinquecirrha

Jun 5, 2013
One more vote for GLaDOS, Wheatley, Andrew Ryan, Comstock, Solid Snake, and Ocelot. Yes, I'm indecisive, I don't care.

When I read the question, the first thing that came to mind was whoever did Ganondorf's laugh in Ocarina of Time. I wouldn't say it's the greatest voicework ever, but it's stuck in my head this long, it deserves to be mentioned at the very least.

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
Metal Gear Solid, it's been outdone by now, but for it's time it was amazing and it still holds up incredibly well. I love Ocelot so much, he sounds so creepy.

"I love to reload during a battle. There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber!" Pure genius! The voice acting in this game makes each character so memorable. I also love Liquid's voice, probably because his voice actor Cam Clarke, was in AKIRA, my favourite movie.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
I have to agree with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the voice work is a jewel, this game needs more recognition to be honest, and if anyone is in any doubt just search for Mercurio or Smiling Jack on youtube and be amazed.

I'd also like to add Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, if there's one thing this game did right at launch it was the story, right after the fantastic voice work.

Cheers for the thread!

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
exxxed said:
I have to agree with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the voice work is a jewel, this game needs more recognition to be honest, and if anyone is in any doubt just search for Mercurio or Smiling Jack on youtube and be amazed.

I'd also like to add Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, if there's one thing this game did right at launch it was the story, right after the fantastic voice work.

Cheers for the thread!
umm KOTOR 2 was criticized for the way the story was butched, there are huge projects by fans of the games to put back in what was slashed out. KOTOR 1 had a great story, 2 had great game play and the POTENTIAL for an awesome story which had been hacked down worse than Ultima 9

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Nightvalien said:
Legacy of kain, all of them /thread. TONY JAY IS YOUR GOD, FEAR HIM MORTALS.
I agree. Especially Simon Templeman as Kain. Best VA in a game ever.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
Anthony Corrigan said:
exxxed said:

Cheers for the thread!
umm KOTOR 2 was criticized for the way the story was butched, there are huge projects by fans of the games to put back in what was slashed out. KOTOR 1 had a great story, 2 had great game play and the POTENTIAL for an awesome story which had been hacked down worse than Ultima 9
Well, you got it wrong, what was butchered was the game itself (quests, story, acting etc.), what the fans did was that they implemented the completable versions of the ''butchered'' side quests, I agree the story was butchered in the end, at the end, but that's such a small part of it.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Duncan Belfast said:
ctrl+f
"Bastion"
0 of 0

I am so very disappointed in you, Escapist.
Someone got there first. I also did this and facepalmed.

This is the best voicework forever of all time. Always. Any other answer is objectively wrong. So the gods have declared.

Its goddam awesome.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Stephen Fry as Reaver.

Apart from Sephiroth there has never been another character I wanted to get there own game so much, just so I could play as them.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Nolan North is great in pretty much everything. The guy's more capable than people give him credit for.

John Dimaggio in Gears of War was pretty awesome, too. He's a great VA anyway but Fenix is one of his best.

James McCaffrey in Max Payne 3 would be one of my favourites, though. Or Thomas Jane as the Punisher.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
If we're talking melodrama, then Legacy of Kain, as others have voted. Such quality and the voice work really fits the fantasy. Kain, Mobius, Elder God, Vorador... really fantastic voicework. Too many actors to name here.

If we're talking campiness (the good kind) then the MGS series wins. Cam Clark as Liquid, David Hayter as Snake, Patrick Zimmerman as Ocelot (old ocelot)... unfortunately a lot of the other characters aren't as well delivered, but these guys really make the series.

However if we're talking about sheer delivery and quality, Ellie (Ashley Johnson) and Joel (Troy Baker) from the Last of Us is my new top pick. Individually they are top notch, but the dynamic between the 2 of them just floors all other games bar none.