Green Lantern, bad as a movie or bad as an adaption of a comic book?

Leonbow

Jun 16, 2011
So since I've heard about the DC universe reset I've been interested in getting into the comics as they release. In particular Superman and Green Lantern. As such research was in order, I loved the story of both these characters as well as their rich history and their continuity over the years(or there lack of as the case may be). What I found in the Green Lantern search was awesome. I really wanted a good movie out of it, to compete with the whole Avengers(bit of a marvel fan too) shtick. I've read around the net that it's pretty bad for Green Lantern fans, is that true, or is a mixed bag?

Leonbow

Jun 16, 2011
Yeah, i saw that, he was seriously raging! I think it may be a waste to not see it if it is indeed that bad, :/

Chaza

Dec 15, 2010
I liked it but then again I don't really know much about the green lantern apart from what I remembered from the episodes movie bob did on him.

The special effects at times were awfull especially the green lanterns mask but I did not mind too much.

Overall it was an ok movie but very forgetable.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I saw the movie, despite my general agreement with MovieBob. I really like MovieBob and he hasn't let me down so far.

As for Green Lantern though, I didn't think it was a horrible movie. It wasn't good by any means, and the flaws that MovieBob pointed out were there and fairly glaring. Not being a comic book fan, I didn't know much about the Green Lantern until I saw the two episodes on it that MovieBob did, so I went into it with a fairly optomistic attitude.

My review; similar to MovieBob's without all of the pent up nerdrage. Sorry Bob, it was bad, but not kill it with fire bad.

StarkillerisDead

Nov 20, 2009
MovieBob has been known to let his biases get the better of him and has been talking the movie up as long as anyone's known there was going to be a movie.

He hated it.

I think that tells you everything you need to know.

Kevo32A

Jun 2, 2011
the trailor bothered me, the first one. it seemed to have a lot of romantic comedy tropes. Alos it seemed to have a lot of "its Ryan Reynolds, what more do you need?"

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Its bad as a film rather than adaption just the storyline and pacing are all off and lack focus on the things that matter. For instance Hal and Hammond seem to have some long going history there that is never explained only tossed out there, mean while there is this huge love interest story going on that was really just shoehorned in. They really should have droped the love story or toned it back and explained hammonds character a little better. There were a good few other issues but thats the one that bothers me the most

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Chaza said:
I liked it but then again I don't really know much about the green lantern apart from what I remembered from the episodes movie bob did on him.

The special effects at times were awfull especially the green lanterns mask but I did not mind too much.

Like Origins wolverine fun to watch kind of movie?

Leonbow

Jun 16, 2011
MasterOfWorlds said:
I saw the movie, despite my general agreement with MovieBob. I really like MovieBob and he hasn't let me down so far.

As for Green Lantern though, I didn't think it was a horrible movie. It wasn't good by any means, and the flaws that MovieBob pointed out were there and fairly glaring. Not being a comic book fan, I didn't know much about the Green Lantern until I saw the two episodes on it that MovieBob did, so I went into it with a fairly optomistic attitude.

My review; similar to MovieBob's without all of the pent up nerdrage. Sorry Bob, it was bad, but not kill it with fire bad.
Nerdrage!! I haven't nerdraged at something in a long while. I should see this movie before I judge but by the sounds of things this movie is right in its story decisions but in execution and time devoted to each story is wrong. The CG for his costume is fine however the mask is annoying.

I do think in superhero films in general they should avoid the overarching cliches like romance and vengeance. Granted that's what classic stories are built on, but sure, we have seen enough good writing in this world to know that the focus of a story with interesting genre splices can work. For instance, the new batman series of movies, Smallville, and hopefully more to come.

Chaza

Dec 15, 2010
Tsaba said:
Chaza said:

Like Origins wolverine fun to watch kind of movie?
Erm depends what you view origins wolverine type fun. I'd say yes but it may vary for you.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Griffolion said:
According to MovieBob, both.
yep supposedly both. Though according to TvTropes they are going to reboot the Batman franchise after the Dark Knight trilogy is done so that they can do an Avengers style movieverse so a Green Lantern reboot is almost guaranteed.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I generally agree with MovieBob, but I still payed to see GL. Some friends of mine and I worked on it, and Ryan Reynolds and Peter Sarsgaard were both so nice to me on set that I saw it almost as a matter of principal. The verdict: meh.

It's not Iron Man or Dark Knight, and it's certainly not within pissing distance of X-Men: First Class, but it wasn't the life-ending abomination that Bob made it out to be. Yes, the script was pretty ham-handed, it would have been much improved if it was more about the Lanterns (like the first animated movie), and I've never liked Martin Campbell as a director, but it was watchable. It's worth a rental.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
Chaza said:

Completely agree with everything he said. Never cared for comics but Green Lantern was an alright film, nothing special. The mask was a bad choice me thinks and when his CGI'd suit goes onto a CGI background, it looks like a floating head (on occasion).

I disagree with MovieBob's description of the film but I think thats because he was expecting much much more than I was...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Leonbow said:
The lacklustre success of the Green Lanturn franchise might yet lead to one of the greatest movie moments in the history of film, if we play our cards right. Picture this:

Due to the success of the Avengers DC Comics will announce a Justice League movie arc, crossing over all their famous movie superheros that will draw an audience: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aqua Man, etc. But what of our friend the Green Lanturn? Well since his movie did not do as well, his character wouldn't draw a crowd, so they sacrifice his character early on in the film, and who does he pass his Green Lanturn ring on to?
Let's see Marvel beat that!

Leonbow

Jun 16, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
I generally agree with MovieBob, but I still payed to see GL. Some friends of mine and I worked on it, and Ryan Reynolds and Peter Sarsgaard were both so nice to me on set that I saw it almost as a matter of principal. The verdict: meh.

It's not Iron Man or Dark Knight, and it's certainly not within pissing distance of X-Men: First Class, but it wasn't the life-ending abomination that Bob made it out to be. Yes, the script was pretty ham-handed, it would have been much improved if it was more about the Lanterns (like the first animated movie), and I've never liked Martin Campbell as a director, but it was watchable. It's worth a rental.
Thanks for that man, working on any movie sounds fun. Even without the obligation to see it, would you have? Also what did you work on, on the film? :) that sounds awesome, like a fun job!

Hero in a half shell said:
Due to the success of the Avengers DC Comics will announce a Justice League movie arc, crossing over all their famous movie superheros that will draw an audience: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aqua Man, etc. But what of our friend the Green Lanturn? Well since his movie did not do as well, his character wouldn't draw a crowd, so they sacrifice his character early on in the film, and who does he pass his Green Lanturn ring on to?
Let's see Marvel beat that!

Ok, that I will concede. A JLA movie with awesome visuals and just the right direction and focus could work. Granted it has a more fantastical story arc than the Avengers so it would be harder to pull off, you know to suspend your disbelief becomes harder the more elaborate the story.

I have to say though, I cannot wait 'till the Avengers comes out. They have not screwed up at all yet, in my opinion. Plus they have a great director for the Avengers. He has fantastic moments and since he is taking his time on this one Joss Whedon should kick ass.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I think that having a ring powered by your imagination is damn ridiculous,
No matter the adaptation you can't make something good out of it.
I don't think the source material is good to begin with.
Don't crucify me.
Please.