Green Lantern is Gay

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Friv said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Unfortunately you seem to have missed the entire point of my post. My wording was no doubt confusing, so allow me to clarify: if you find homosexual sex distasteful that is enough to make you a horrible bigot in the eyes of the most radical progressives, even if you keep the fact to yourself. These are they types of people that will, if you do not agree with them immediately, go out of their way to question you so they can tell you that you're a bigot. These are the people who cannot recognize any worldview other than their own as legitimate. These are the filth-infested petitioners, the people who boycott random shit. These are the types of liberals who feel the need to go around telling people who were otherwise minding their own business that they're prejudiced and need to change. They are no different in my eyes than the Westboro Baptists.
If you keep the fact to yourself, how would these radical liberals know to boycott you? At some point you must be mentioning it or the conversation would never happen.

Think of it like broccoli. I find broccoli distasteful. Can't stand the stuff, don't want it on my food, don't even like the smell. But if someone mentions their lovely piece of broccoli pizza, I'm just going to nod, because why the hell would I care if they like broccoli? I'm not going to say "I hate broccoli, but have fun" unless I'm busy making some comedic point like this, or some attractive man is in the process of inviting me over to his house for broccoli, at which point I will have to graciously decline.
Well, to work within your example, there's a difference between you immediately blurting out that you hate broccoli when someone so much as mentions it, and someone questioning you when they see you avoid broccoli. Are you supposed to lie? In my example, these people would see that you didn't order broccoli or that you avoid broccoli and would take it upon themselves to question you until you admit that you don't like broccoli, and then they would proceed to tell you that you're wrong for not liking broccoli. Does that make sense?

I'm not saying that all liberals or democrats do this. The ratio of these progressive loonies to normal liberals is probably similar to the ratio between Westboro Baptist Church members to normal christian conservatives. There are more than a few Christians who personally don't approve of homosexuality, but also don't take this as an excuse to go around harassing gay people. What I'm saying is that both sides have overly intrusive assholes that like to involve themselves in other people's personal affairs.

Let's put it this way: a group of people are standing outside somewhere with a petition. As you walk by they ask you to sign it and you refuse. They then start following you (let's say the mall is pretty empty) and they ask you why you don't want to sign it, and when you continue to refuse they suggest that you're something bad for not wanting to sign it. That's what I call being an intrusive wanker. My point is that this sort of thing has been done by both sides of the political spectrum.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Didn't see that coming. Cool I guess, does scream "We want the free advertising Fox News will inevitably provide for us over this" a bit though.

ReiverCorrupter said:
If you even say that homosexuality grosses you out but that you're fine with gay people getting married, you're STILL a bigot.
I know this is a bit of an old post now but most gay people are well aware straight people can be a bit uncomfortable especially around public displays of affection (not saying they particularly care, just that they're aware of it). So long as you aren't trying to say gay couples are inferior and shouldn't be allowed to get married we're fine holding back on public snogging a bit :p

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
bafrali said:
spinFX said:
bafrali said:
Green Lantern is Gay.Nobody cares.Lets move on
NO! We do not move on until you add spaces after your periods!!!

WE CAN NOT MOVE ON!!!
Curses! Foiled by grammar nazis again. I will have my revenge!
I thank you for the spaces after your period and two exclamation marks. I can move on now. Green Lantern is gay! Let us move on!

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Go figure they went with the Green Lantern whose original weakness was wood.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Hmmm I kinda guessed it would be the Green Lantern. There have been so many different Green Lanterns that they are able to use one of the lesser recognised characters while still using a very well known superhero. Smart choice really.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Claripit772 said:
Go figure they went with the Green Lantern whose original weakness was wood.
Because wood is like a penis. I get it!

lol

Lumber Barber said:
It's pretty sad. That they announced it like that makes me feel like it was a cry for attention, and not at all about acceptance of gay people.
That's pretty much how I feel. They really did a poor job of whatever they were trying to do, that's for sure. Or, actually, maybe not; they could have just wanted us all to be talking. Damn them!

ChaosDragoness

Jun 5, 2012
So Green Lantern is gay. Big deal. LGBT people are people just like everyone else, just with different lifestyle choices. Take it from me, I'm a member of the LGBT community myself :3

RedHoodProdigalSon

Oct 18, 2009
faefrost said:
So they retconned out a long standing Gay character and then simply turned his father, the traditionally more right wing and conservative type, gay in their new incarnation? Wow! That's just wrong in so many ways. regardless of which side of the political spectrum you reside.

At least over at Marvel Northstar being gay was organically built into the character from pretty much the first panel he ever appeared in. (not kidding about this). It wasn't blatant. It wasn;t out of the closet, but it was there. In much the same way that the Thing, Benjamin Jacob Grimm was created as a jewish character. It was a part of how the writers envisioned the character but it was not a core of the story. When the subject finally came up, you could easily look back and see how it was there all the time.

The same was true with Obsidian, the gay son of the conservative Green Lantern. It was subtle. It was occasionally painful, but it felt a hell of a lot more real then this "beating the audience over the head with a bat to make some politically correct point" crap. And I just don't understand? It literally gained DC nothing on any front. Yes they proclaimed a gay character. But by doing so it insures that their more longstanding gay character no longer exists. so an even trade. They sought to have a "major" superhero come out of the closet. But really? Alan Scott? He hasn't been a major superhero in almost 70 years. readers of the books know who he is, but no one outside of a comic shop would ever recognize his costume or know his name. So mainstream attention, zero beyond some artificial and pointless outrage for a week or two. And at the end of the day the contrast between the older 1940's era "old school" superhero struggling to come to terms with his gay superhero son, was a much more interesting story than 'OMG the old Green Lantern is Gay!!!" could ever be. It felt more real, and not simply a retread of a 4 color version of a Glee story.
Qouted because this is the same as I feel, Green lantern was straight laced, patriotic, blue blooded conservative and the only reason DC turned him gay was to raise a few eyebrows and get a few "huh, okay"'s out of people.

I liked Obsidian too, Obsidian being gay and having to confront his father about it was a very powerful scene and made me care about the kid and his dad way more than Dc waving big flags and screaming GREEN LANTERN IS GAY (no not THAT one, he's too mainstream)! WOOO WOO WOO! PLEASE READ OUR COMICS!

I'm waiting for someone to reboot this travesty of a New 52 and get everything back to the status quo again, if you want to see the REAL JSA read Geoff John's run from a few years back to see Alan Scott before they replaced him with a shallow gimic.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Is the "Gay" Lantern really going to help with the storyline or sell more comics? No. Is it going to annoy every fan and shit on the entire back story? Pretty much.

Mar 25, 2010
Pearwood said:
Didn't see that coming. Cool I guess, does scream "We want the free advertising Fox News will inevitably provide for us over this" a bit though.

ReiverCorrupter said:
If you even say that homosexuality grosses you out but that you're fine with gay people getting married, you're STILL a bigot.
I know this is a bit of an old post now but most gay people are well aware straight people can be a bit uncomfortable especially around public displays of affection (not saying they particularly care, just that they're aware of it). So long as you aren't trying to say gay couples are inferior and shouldn't be allowed to get married we're fine holding back on public snogging a bit :p
Darn, I guess no matter how much support I give for gay rights... I'll always be a bigot. :p Darn.... Actually, meh, oh well.

wetnap

Sep 1, 2011
ChaosDragoness said:
So Green Lantern is gay. Big deal. LGBT people are people just like everyone else, just with different lifestyle choices. Take it from me, I'm a member of the LGBT community myself :3

The issue was how it was done.

Jk Rowling might as well come out and say hermione is into furries, and ron is into bdsm as well, its just not the way to do such things.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Jeffrey Crall said:
Darn, I guess no matter how much support I give for gay rights... I'll always be a bigot. :p Darn.... Actually, meh, oh well.
Bigots are the ones not supporting gay rights, no one cares what you think just so long as you're not going around yelling "ewww icky gay people" :p

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
rancher of monsters said:
I feel like people are being a little too hard on the choice. Sure Alan Scott isn't the most well known lantern any more, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still the O.G. He's been around even in modern comics and hardcore fans, the ones most likely to cause a shit storm when there precious continuity is altered, are definitely familiar with him. And honestly, who else could they pick? Wonder Woman is too obvious, Batman has his boy ward which is already questionable enough, Green Arrow and Black Canary are a major super couple, and we all knew there was no way in hell it was gonna be Superman.
They could have easily had it both ways (no pun intended). In the old continuity this GL's son, Obsidian, was one of the longstanding gay characters in the DC Universe. While obscure to the general population he had been a member of both the Justice League and the Justice Society and had appeared a few times in the Justice League animated series. In short he actually had more public exposure than the Golden Age Green Lantern. Once again this is the Golden Age Green Lanterns son. You want a new edgy gay Green Lantern, while at the same time keep that history and the conflict of the father son story, and make it feel real and not a publicity stunt?

GIVE THE KID THE RING!!!!

That was all it would have taken. Have the father give the son the ring. Presto! Major gay Green Lantern character. History and traditional characterizations both preserved. Everybody happy, and an interesting story. Simply give the kid the ring.