Green Lantern Spawns Animated Series

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I'll sound like an absolute Browncoat but I'll never understand why did they moved Nathan Fillion away from voicing Hal Jordan.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
There's always a silver lining on top of a cloud.

Batman: The Animated Series would never have come about if it weren't for the success of the awful Tim Burton Batman movies. Two decades later it is seen as one of the pinnacles of Western Animation and the definitive portrayal of Batman.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Could they not just start making justice league unlimited again. I loved that show and it had a green lantern in it. Who kicked arse. Unlike the movie. Which destroyed my faith in life the universe and well basicaly everything.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Seriously if you can't find good CG guys don't do that shit, the drawn versions are massively more appreciated.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Could be good, but why take the CrapCGI route?

You know, I used to rant a decade ago about how The New Batman Adventures were poorly drawn compared to Batman the Animated series, but the way it looked in general was still good. And right now, I wish more cartoons looked like that and the Justice League series, and not like something that I(a person with no artistic skill) could draw with a crayon. And when it comes to CGI, they have even more flimsy excuses for not making them look half decent. Remember Beast Wars, or Shadow Worlds, or anything made by Mainframe? Why can't CGI cartoons today look as good as they did 15 years ago!?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'm in the small minority that enjoyed the Film...

I don't like the look of the trailer though, i hate that art style

The DC Animated Universe Movies are actually pretty good, sad we didnt get a Justice League Unlimited style show.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
To me, it looks like Reboot...

Now back in the 90's that wasn't really a bad thing, but in 2011?

Yeah.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
unacomn said:
Could be good, but why take the CrapCGI route?

You know, I used to rant a decade ago about how The New Batman Adventures were poorly drawn compared to Batman the Animated series, but the way it looked in general was still good. And right now, I wish more cartoons looked like that and the Justice League series, and not like something that I(a person with no artistic skill) could draw with a crayon. And when it comes to CGI, they have even more flimsy excuses for not making them look half decent. Remember Beast Wars, or Shadow Worlds, or anything made by Mainframe? Why can't CGI cartoons today look as good as they did 15 years ago!?
Funding mostly. Someone with decisive power just stopped caring about quality.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I'm holding a positive position on this. DC based animation has done a lot of great works. Not just the series but their standalone straight to video movies.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Looks like the writing will have to carry it, since that's some of the worst CG I've ever seen. You'd thing WB would have a decent budget for this sort of thing.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
CommanderKirov said:
I'll sound like an absolute Browncoat but I'll never understand why did they moved Nathan Fillion away from voicing Hal Jordan.
But he was awesome as Hal! I loved First Flight and Emerald Knights, why can't the consumer get more of that goodness? *sigh* I can't watch this new CG series. Also what happened to Young Justice? Loved the series and then it disappears. Well at least Marvel didn't let me down with the Avengers on Disney XD. That and MLP gives me hope that not all animated shows are flops.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
vansau said:
With the recent (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3557-Green-Lantern>terrible beyond words) Green Lantern film, there have been a slew of tie-ins and merchandise announced.
Funny. I actually saw MovieBob's review right before going in to see the movie myself and I felt he overreacted and was outright wrong with most of his points. Admittedly, it probably would've been better were it much, much longer, to allow more of the mythos to shine through, but terrible beyond words? Perhaps for someone who is incapable of expressing themselves without using the little four-letter words, but come on.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Wandrecanada said:
Duck Dodgers has a better Green Lantern Corps than the terrible CGI version the video contains...

"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda, a superstitious and cowardly lot, with liberty and justice for all!"

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Anyone else miss hand-drawn animated shows? I mean, I enjoy CG as much as the next guy, but...I dunno, I guess it's just nostalgia taking me over.
It isn't nostalgia if those old shows were actually good, which most of them were, I remember the good ole days of Courage the Cowardly Dog, Hey Arnold, etc

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Could they not just start making justice league unlimited again. I loved that show and it had a green lantern in it. Who kicked arse. Unlike the movie. Which destroyed my faith in life the universe and well basicaly everything.
Wasn't that with John Stewart as the green lantern? i.e. the least interesting of the 4 green lanterns earth has in current DC continuity?
The problem with any Hal Jordan based Green Lantern thing is that you have to introduce the broad equality of each member of the corps whilst also making Hal stand out as the hero, and try not to make him into space Jesus too early. [/DC nerd]

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Even THIS looks shit. They really cannot nail down a decent Green Lantern can they?

They tried to capture the magic of the 'Batman' films with the Green Lantern film, now trying to do the same with the 'Batman Animated Series' with this CG abomination.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
vansau said:
OK, I'm sure little kids won't mind Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Heck, they'll probably even enjoy it. The problem with this is that, until now, the DC animated series on Cartoon Network have usually been pretty appealing for both children and adults (admittedly, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Brave-Bold-Season-Part/dp/B003M8NGLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308876358&sr=8-1>Batman: The Brave and the Bold seems less parent-oriented), and it doesn't look like this new series will have any real appeal for anyone past the age of ten or so when it appeals sometime later this year.

Source: <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/oh_my_god_i_think_theyre_making_a_sequel_to_superm.php>Topless Robot

Haha.

I love whipping that vid out.
Thanks for saving me a trip to YouTube. I hate how people underestimate Brave and the Bold.

Jimmy Olsen: Superman's become a real di...
Lois Lane: ...ifferent person!
- from an episode of the show where Superman is under mind control and commences some really hilarious superdickery. There's plenty for adults in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

OT: Ignore non-Batman DC movies, watch DCAU instead. Let's hope this series will allow me to continue giving this piece of advice to people.