Griefers are Sadists

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'd really call them more of a sad act than sadistic.

"Oh, you can't do X because Y and listen to me whiiine!"

Aaand I just don't care...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Eric the Orange said:
How is that different than
"a person who annoys or harasses other players for their enjoyment."?
It isn't. That basically is true griefing as you can't even bullshit it with Roleplay.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Silentpony said:
Glongpre said:
Borty The Bort said:
You are comparing pain to harassment. Is being annoyed by someone in your game or whatever something you would call "pain?"
Mental trauma can be comparable to physical trauma. I remember reading something that basically concluded they are more or less the same in terms of impact.
See I would have preferred to have my school bullies yell at me and call me a ****** rather than beat the living hell out of me. Anyone who thinks getting griefed in Overwatch or Minecraft is comparable to getting the shit kicked out of you either plays way too much games or had an abnormally lucky childhood.

Note: Not accusing you at all Glongpre. Just stating in general
I don't know, I think the asswipes that troll the undead burg with low level characters and poison throwing knives are worse than real life bullies that do actual real life violence

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DrownedAmmet said:
I don't know, I think the asswipes that troll the undead burg with low level characters and poison throwing knives are worse than real life bullies that do actual real life violence
I'm fairly sure the broken and bruised ribs I sustained in 5th grade hurt a hell of a lot worse than a jackoff trolling me in a video game. Aside from the physical pain, which I only alluded to one particular instance, there was the mental and emotional trauma every day stepping off the bus of fear that something bad would happen that day, regardless of anything actually happening or not.
I'd say that my entire elementary school bullying experience was on a greater plane of "pain" than anything a griefer on a video game could ever do, considering I can just walk away from the game whereas I couldn't walk away from the corner I'd been backed into before my ribs were broken.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
DrownedAmmet said:
I'm fairly sure the broken and bruised ribs I sustained in 5th grade hurt a hell of a lot worse than a jackoff trolling me in a video game. Aside from the physical pain, which I only alluded to one particular instance, there was the mental and emotional trauma every day stepping off the bus of fear that something bad would happen that day, regardless of anything actually happening or not.
I'd say that my entire elementary school bullying experience was on a greater plane of "pain" than anything a griefer on a video game could ever do, considering I can just walk away from the game whereas I couldn't walk away from the corner I'd been backed into before my ribs were broken.
Yeah but sometimes the newbies might not make it back to their bloodstain and they might lose a bunch of souls and might get frustrated with the game and quit and they might not get to experience the rest of the game and...

Yeah you're right, I guess real life violence is worse than video game dickery. So those asswipes are, what, half as bad as real life bullies?

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I knew Undead Burg twinks will come up eventually.

Every generation has its boogeyman.

When I was a wee lad, I had bad dreams about Blink Dagger Pudges fishing noobies without TP scrolls.

Now that was true horror you brats!

Get off my lawn.

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
cleric of the order said:
Undead Burg twinks
the hell is an undead burg twink?
someone who rages at it or people who believe the darksouls is hard may may
People who play through the game at a low level, buff their equipment up to full, and then head back to the burg to invade newbies.

It's basically the reason they decided to tie weapon levels to the multiplayer system in Dark Souls 3.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Mental Cosmas said:
People who play through the game at a low level, buff their equipment up to full, and then head back to the burg to invade newbies.

It's basically the reason they decided to tie weapon levels to the multiplayer system in Dark Souls 3.
Jesus i remember those jackasses, first player interaction I had in game was a jerkoff rocking full havels.
I figure they are the entire reason why soul memory was a thing
literally made ds 2 worse for it.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Battlefield Bad Company 2 had the worst case I've encountered. The spawn points are set in the game, typically 5. One home base for each team and 3 posts to capture. If one side has all 3 posts, the other can only spawn at home base. There are also attack helicopters, tanks and excellent sniping positions. Particularly on one map that has you in the middle of a flat desert.

Which means, joy of joys, the winning side can now spawn kill like nothing before. Two jackasses take the very fast and highly maneuverable heli and circle strafe the spawn points so it's impossible to hit them before they've sent your sorry ass into oblivion. To make things worse, the tanks, typically flanked by support crews armed with rocket launchers, are barraging your base. This kicks up smoke, shakes your camera constantly and ensures you cannot get a single accurate shot off. If you take the time to even try to line up a shot and miraculously aren't blown to smithereens, your head will be blown off by the snipers camped out where you have no hope of hitting them.

This meant that if one side got all the outposts, the other side would immediately quit rather than bother trying. This was a serious issue that was somewhat rectified in BF3, though Metro still suffered greatly from this because one side was trapped in 3 hallways that were easily covered by continuous fire. Your chances of winning were greatly affected by what side you were on. That being said, the other side's spawn suffered to a lesser degree as it was in a glass-fronted building across a wide street that made them easy pickings for snipers.

The game itself was structured to encourage this griefing, so it's either you roll with it or don't bother with it. I don't blame anyone who experienced this degree of encouraged spawn-killing and decided this wasn't going to be worth their time.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
More on topic, your OP has more basis in reality than you realize. [https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
cleric of the order said:
playing dotrash sounds like true horror to me honestly.
People who think current MOBAs are toxic have no idea what the original WC3 mod with community servers were like more than a decade ago.

Now that made you immune to online harassment. :p

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Imre Csete said:
People who think current MOBAs are toxic have no idea what the original WC3 mod with community servers were like more than a decade ago.
I don't blame them if i was playing a mod that shit, in a game even worse. It'd make me uppity.
Now given the mod is one of the many nails in the coffin of the RTS genre even fucking more.
Thanks to mobas lapping up the short headed mildly academic preening nerds and starcraft "DRM > consumer's right" 2 staking claim to the rest, there's no real space on the market for new upcoming ips that no one would ever ask for anyway.
Fucking halowars 2 was the last big release.
And next up is dawn of war 3 which flung out gab, gaz and taldeer's VAs, Flung out chaos and real reasonable cover mechanics for ripping the fuck out of starcraft2 (a supremely overrated game if you ask me, if only for the always online drm which still has me boycotting it for all the good it's done) and just doesn't look promising

Now that made you immune to online harassment. :p
What i don't understand is how somehow get it in to their heads to people play these games while angry.
Hell when I'm dragged into devote way more of my life then I'd want on one of these at the behest of a friend i have to wonder how anyone goes into it thinking they aren't going to feel at the very least drained because the very system isn't really conducive to having or being fun.
Even then the worse i've seen on the mobas is the preening of cock sure fresh faced prat highschoolers, or curses in another langauge.
If folks are so fragile that, that constitutes harassment then they should realize you can just mute the fucker.