Grim Fandango Remake is Coming to PC, Mac And Linux

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Grim Fandango Remake is Coming to PC, Mac And Linux

Rejoice my PC gaming brothers and sisters!

Grim Fandango is one of Lucas Art's more classic of classic PC adventure games, following the story of travel agent Manny Calavera in an epic film noir-style adventure. It was easily one of the defining titles of the PC adventure game genre, so you can understand both our excitement, and confusion, when a remake of the title was announced at E3... for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135191-Grim-Fandango-Remastered-Returning-From-The-Afterlife].

At the time, Tim Schafer teased that information for other platforms was coming soon, and now, Double Fine has announced that Grim Fandango Remastered will also be heading to the PC, Mac, and Linux platforms.

"Reap your heart out!" said Double Fine on its official Twitter account [https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/486918031533035520]. "We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!"

This is some pretty fantastic news for Grim Fandango's dedicated PC fan base, but honestly, was there really any doubt that this one would be making its way to the platform it was born on?

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/486918031533035520]

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
*crosses his fingers* put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog,put it on gog, ect...

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I thought it was rather Grim news that it wasn't coming to the PC but now it is I shall do the fandango.

Ok I will leave now.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
...until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar! Like eagles! Yeah! LIKE EAGLES...ON...POGO STICKS!!!

They better not change one line.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
My favorite adventure game ever is getting a remastered version. Can't wait to play it. I wonder how different this version would be from the original.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Doom972 said:
My favorite adventure game ever is getting a remastered version. Can't wait to play it. I wonder how different this version would be from the original.
remake and remaster aren't quite the same thing though...

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
If you listen carefully, you can hear the shrieking squeels of Lisa Foiles.

Never played it, but I'll give it a try.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I need that Grim Fandango Cast photo as, like, a 6' x 8' poster. I can't find a resolution bigger than 500x375. Anyone have 8000x6000?

OK. Costume Quest is getting a sequel. Grim Fandango is getting a reboot that, for once, won't crash on the PC (how many hours have all of you learned to live with what happens in DOSBox? or even the GF launcher?) So... how soon until Psychonauts II? I know you're all thinking it.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
so you both our excitement, and confusion, when a remake of the title was announced at E3...
?You what?? - ?Both our confusion and excitement.?

Awesome news. I have never been a fan of the Adventure genre, but dem LucasArts games were something. Haven't played this one and had thoughts of pirating the original since noone wants to sell it, but now I'll just wait and buy the remake. :)

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
Doom972 said:
remake and remaster aren't quite the same thing though...
I didn't say it was a remake.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Are console manufacturers getting so desperate that now they are not only asking for timed exclusive content but also timed exclusive announcement?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good, my bro never did finish playing that game at how hard the puzzle solving was! One of the reviewer did nicely sum it up that completing it will be the day you died (this was before Gamefaq).

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Cool, but still dissapointed that they left out the ps3, i would have bought it instantly. Worst part is, they are going to tease the Vita version on the store...

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I hope they keep everything the same. EVERYTHING. Oh dear I loved that game, but I could only play the first hour or three before it stopped working on my new computer.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I'd love this, but for some reason I'd rather have a remastered version also, or maybe just the remastered... I dunno why though.

Doom972 said:
Which is exactly the problem, Vault101 means that this game is a "remake" not a remastered version. It even says "REMAKE" righ in the title.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
gridsleep said:
OK. Costume Quest is getting a sequel. Grim Fandango is getting a reboot that, for once, won't crash on the PC (how many hours have all of you learned to live with what happens in DOSBox? or even the GF launcher?)
Oh god...you're bringing back like, Nam flashbacks here. I Let's Played Grim Fandango, out of the GF Launcher, with FRAPS running at the same time...you have no idea the sheer levels of crashsanity, having to redo segments...I did keep multiple saves, at least, and it's so awesome that the game is FINALLY going to be put out somewhere I can pay money for it. I half funded Doublefine Adventure going 'well if nothing comes of it, I *WAS* seriously considering sticking $20 in an envelope and mailing it to Tim for Grim Fandango...'

Here's hoping the improvements mostly amount to cleanup and making Manny not walk like an old school Resident Evil character.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
This is some pretty fantastic news for Grim Fandango's dedicated PC fan base, but honestly, was there really any doubt that this one would be making its way to the platform it was born on?
Yes.

If there wasn't, this thread wouldn't even exist.

There's no excuse for PC gaming to be a half-arsed afterthought any more, especially with the new consoles running standard PC-style x64 processors. Developers need to sort their shit out.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
Grabehn said:
I'd love this, but for some reason I'd rather have a remastered version also, or maybe just the remastered... I dunno why though.

Doom972 said:
Which is exactly the problem, Vault101 means that this game is a "remake" not a remastered version. It even says "REMAKE" righ in the title.
The title is wrong, it's a remastered version, as they stated during the announcement (and also in this article).

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Good news everybody!

Heh, I've still got the disk from the original.
Steven Bogos said:
As other posters have pointed out, don't say remake when it's a remaster. Or at least be consistently correct or incorrect, rather than indecisively flitting between the two like a fat guy trying to choose between a burger and a pizza.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds great. always wanted to play it again but the original is just having issues to run on todays systems. so i sure keep an eye open for it on steam :D