GRIN Alleges Square Enix Forced It Out of Business

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Revolutionise FF..?

And that whole thing with showing them their own game.. I mean even if that is true, it's not like S-E don't have multiple divisions. 'Test'? Pulling something like that you'd think the studio was trying to screw itself...

This... this just sounds bizarre. I really don't..

Sorry, I kinda cant swallow this one >.> I can't believe there are people in here accepting it as wrote.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Blitzwing said:
mjc0961 said:
Tom Goldman said:
GRIN's suspicions were confirmed when Square Enix failed one of the studio's tests. It sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Playstation-2/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306711720&sr=8-1], saying it was from Fortress, to see what the company would do. Square Enix replied: "It does not look like Final Fantasy."
Hahahahahahaha! I mean, I feel bad that GRIN got fucked over so badly, but still. That is some delightfully hilarious owange. I just hope they can use it to sue the fuck out of Square Enix. I mean really, I didn't think I could feel any less respect for Square Enix, but this news has proven otherwise. Fax some music over... Christ. No wonder everything they've done in recent history is a failure.
Like what exactly?
FF14, I'd call that a rousing failure in every sense of the word. They shoved an unfinished game out the door long before it was ever ready. What initial sales they may have made off of the game itself they have surely lost in having to not charge anyone a monthly fee because it's so broken. FF13 may have sucked but I understand it still sold well. Fourteen, unfortunately suffers from both suckage and losing money every day they go without their subscription fees in place.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
could this be a case of the drowning man, drowning someone else in an attempt to save himself? except the 1st drowning man has been dead for a fair while.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Seems like more and more stories of companies screwing over or sabotaging themselves (presumably) on accident. The industry really needs to take a step back and identify the factors causing them to fuck up so bad if there's going to be any future for gaming.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
FelixG said:
Reallink said:
RvLeshrac said:
Reallink said:
I think SE has the right to have control over the products they do outsource, because it is going to affect their brand if it does poorly (or well for that matter). But I think saying they were trying to revolutionize FF is a bit over the top. Its not exactly their place to recreate an existing franchise
You mean "unless they were asked to do it," and it sounds like that's what S-E said they wanted.
I think we will need to hear both sides to have this discussion. SE have outsourced some great games, E.G KH:CoM, but if they didn't like it, I think they have the right to pull the plug
SE are just full of BS.

When they claim that FF XII doesn't look like Final Fantasy they are just trying to screw over a studio they contracted things to.

I really hope that GRIN sues SE into the ground.
Assuming that happened. Would you do that to the company who would be funding a project? I doubt it. It seems dreadfully unprofessional

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Blitzwing said:
mjc0961 said:
No wonder everything they've done in recent history is a failure.
Like what exactly?
FF14, I'd call that a rousing failure in every sense of the word. They shoved an unfinished game out the door long before it was ever ready. What initial sales they may have made off of the game itself they have surely lost in having to not charge anyone a monthly fee because it's so broken. FF13 may have sucked but I understand it still sold well. Fourteen, unfortunately suffers from both suckage and losing money every day they go without their subscription fees in place.
FF14 is possibly the first MMO I've seen to go from subscription to free in under a month. It's amazingly pathetic and all due to Square Enix being unable and unwilling to take fair criticism of idiotic design decisions or to listen to opinions and ideas outside their own corporate environment. Consider how they treated GRIN. And while FF13 sold fairly well, you have to understand that it was in development hell for the better part of a decade, being in development while FFXII was almost simultaneously. It's extremely unlikely that they recouped their development costs for 13. Furthermore, they've even gone so far as to separate FF13 Agito from the "Fabula Nova" FF13 sub-brand so as not to hurt its sales by association. Only time will tell if FF13 Versus will get a rebranding or if they're hoping it'll redeem the FF13 sub-brand.

Now, they probably killed GRIN's project because they 1) didn't want to leave a major property in an overseas developmer's hands and 2) didn't want to hurt FF13's chances by having it compete with a Westerner-made FFXII spin-off. Much good that did them. Now, they've learned the hard way that they just can't compete. Look at another Japanese major publisher who's relied on Western development studios to work on their projects and see how they're doing: Capcom. They're now the only major Japanese publisher to regularly claim a profit in no small part because they trusted their overseas development partners. I'm of course talking about Dead Rising 2.

Woodsey said:
Just leave them alone until Deus Ex is out please.
Hopefully, Square Enix has seen the writing on the wall and won't abuse their Eidos acquisitions the same way they abused GRIN or their own internal development teams. Remember the rumors surrounding FFXII and Yasumi Matsuno's troubles with SE management on that project.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Wow, that's criminal and just downright horrid.

Grin was probably doing it better than them so they decided to sabotage them. What a bunch of pricks. I hope they sue SE and sue them hard, and win.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
FelixG said:
SE are just full of BS.

When they claim that FF XII doesn't look like Final Fantasy they are just trying to screw over a studio they contracted things to.

GRIN hasn't existed for quite a while now. They chose not to go to court because they were already in debt, and couldn't afford the risk of losing even more.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
MasaVK said:
SquareEnix has also had lots of problems lately with their games too,
they have all sucked, last good game was they made was FFX.
i second this motion.

what a palava. passed of onto different people and no real communication is really sad and must be frustrating for grin. i wish they would move onto more than final fantasy for the time at least sort out in house ( that being if what is said in the story is true )

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
FelixG said:
Reallink said:
FelixG said:
Reallink said:
RvLeshrac said:
Reallink said:
I think SE has the right to have control over the products they do outsource, because it is going to affect their brand if it does poorly (or well for that matter). But I think saying they were trying to revolutionize FF is a bit over the top. Its not exactly their place to recreate an existing franchise
You mean "unless they were asked to do it," and it sounds like that's what S-E said they wanted.
I think we will need to hear both sides to have this discussion. SE have outsourced some great games, E.G KH:CoM, but if they didn't like it, I think they have the right to pull the plug
SE are just full of BS.

Assuming that happened. Would you do that to the company who would be funding a project? I doubt it. It seems dreadfully unprofessional
It is important to note that they were not being funded, SE were being douches and not giving them the money they needed, so if I was being jerked around by another company with idiotic tests (fax game code and music files?) sure, I would test them right back to see WTF is going on.
Okay, so all we've got to go on is one side of the argument, as translated by Google.

I'm not saying SE didn't treat them like rubbish, but the idea that they would have done the things that they listed in the article seems like a bit of a stretch for such a massive company. But if they did they did. We just don't have enough information yet.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
Look at another Japanese major publisher who's relied on Western development studios to work on their projects and see how they're doing: Capcom. They're now the only major Japanese publisher to regularly claim a profit in no small part because they trusted their overseas development partners.
And all it took for them to do that was the total evisceration of one of their most iconic Characters (Dante).

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
I remember brushing up on Fortress ages ago, but I vaguely realized even then that it was a project that probably wasn't going to come together. I don't know what it was in particular; it just had that kind of feel to it.

A damn shame, too; I remember one of the concept images I saw depicted a city-sized Malboro scaling the side of a cliff-tip castle.

Ah, here it is:

That seemed interesting to me. I... will be sad if something like that never comes together in some form or another.