GRIN Alleges Square Enix Forced It Out of Business

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
The fax thing is hard to believe, but rejecting their own images I can. The old trick of getting rid of people by constantly dicking them about until the quit or go under is not new. The people at SE were probably told to poo poo EVERYTHING grin sent them without even bothering to look at it.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
Square Enix is like that one kid who was really cool before and then got addicted to cocaine.
And then he went a little crazy, and then a lot crazier as time went on, and he's now unable to communicate simple sentences.

I'm subtly calling out ff13 here...it was REALLY terrible...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
To be honest any company that can think FF XIII and FF IV are games that should ever see the light of day is a bat-shit insane one.
To be completely fair FFXIII isn't that bad. It's not a good game, by any stretch of imagination, but it wasn't flat out horrible.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
MasaVK said:
SquareEnix has also had lots of problems lately with their games too,
they have all sucked, last good game was they made was FFX.
Even that was barely up to par. Sure I had a little fun with it, but it was also the game that convinced me that Final Fantasy was dead.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
GRIN's suspicions were confirmed when Square Enix failed one of the studio's tests. It sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Playstation-2/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306711720&sr=8-1], saying it was from Fortress, to see what the company would do. Square Enix replied: "It does not look like Final Fantasy."
I can't tell whether to laugh or cry at that. That's a DOUBLE epic fail - a failure to recognize one of your own products, and failure to recognize your own product's style as being your own.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
honestly i think SE was jsut trying to get rid of a developer with a really creepy logo, seriously that "grin" is fucking freaky.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
HankMan said:
Well that just bites!
You always find a good time to give us the tooth, huh?

Well, either way, whether any of this is true or not, I'm still holding my breath for KH: 3, then I'll truly have an opinion.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Super Toast said:
So, Square Enix is being run by monkeys now?
Wait, they haven't always?
I miss Square.

I laughed at the test, though, that's just brilliant. I wish GRIN the best of wishes, and hope they happily sue themselves back into business.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm finding it hard to believe that any company would want someone to FAX binary files.
You know how fucking long those get? Not just a few pages; try dozens or hundreds.

What's the point?

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
It's hardly surprising, Square-enix have been shovelling out dung for many years now... Though they still have nomura and he still has the power to make great games (fortunately). If that changes then I doubt I'll buy their games again without some drastic improvements :p

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I don't know what to say to that. I think GRIN handled it as best as they could, really...but then, how DO you react to Square-Enix, one of gaming's biggest companies, behaving like a child and ruining everything.
I mean, that's assuming the whole thing is true...but until Square-Enix respond, I'll go off the information I'm given. Perhaps somebody in control of SE money decided that Fortress was a mistake from one of the other executives, and that it was his duty to make sure that SE escaped the binding contract by making excuses and just trying to persuade GRIN to be the one that backed out.

Still, I haven't really paid attention to anything Square-Enix have put out since Final Fantasy IX...and the last thing I bought that they were involved in was Final Fantasy on the iPod Touch...which, by the way, was a brilliant idea.

But really...I do like the GRIN spokesman's response. Decent way to react when somebody is clearly fucking you over.
I mean..who faxes these days? On that note, who thinks it's plausible to fax binary? And music files? Do they hire somebody to convert that shit back into tunes?

Nope. Square-Enix are definitely being children. Unless this is all lies. If so, then they'd better hurry up and respond.

Stealthfighterx

Mar 16, 2011
MasaVK said:
True, but they shouldn't have made the ending that they did, and later make X-2.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Stealthfighterx said:
MasaVK said:
True, but they shouldn't have made the ending that they did, and later make X-2.
Do you mean they shouldn't have made X-2 after that ending?

Or that that ending was bad and X-2 was bad?

Because in all honesty, the problem with X-2 was that it was just a lot more light-hearted and not very serious. But that isn't bad if you're able to detach yourself from thinking X-2 affects X. Whereas if they'd messed with the ending to FFX so that X-2 worked better, that would have spoilt a brilliant game and a brilliant ending. I couldn't agree to anything that would involve changing it

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Smerf said:
oh God, i hope nothing like that happens with deus ex
Don't worry, DE should be safe. As far as I'm aware, Eidos is being left to do its own thing, while Squeenix just makes sure it gets put out on shelves when the time comes.

At least, that's what I'm aware of. It could be that I'm entirely wrong and Squeenix is getting "all up in Eidos' bizzle".

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Think Sqeenix will ever give a response to this? Because trading blows with a defunct company is probably something they'll consider to be beneath them.

Also, don't trust Aftonbladet. They're a gossip rag. The only time they write anything worthwhile is when there's a major event going on (royal marriage, or presidential election in the US), and even then, they'll be exagerating minor conflicts or making shit up, like "McCain calls Obama a "******".

At all other times, they're trying to invent new words by adding "death-" or "shock-" to another word, and putting out articles about "retired seniors getting robed with napalm".

Aftonbladet is best used for lining the litter box.