GRIN Alleges Square Enix Forced It Out of Business

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
fax over music files? lol

Sort of reminds me of a running joke my friend and I have whenever we see big transformer rooms in video games with crackling electricity

"Jiles, I'm feeling a little cold, take this bucket and run down to the electricity room and fetch me a bucket of electricity."

Marcusss

Jan 24, 2011
Blitzwing said:
Marcusss said:
There were one two great studios making great RPGs - in the West it was BioWare and in the East Square Enix. BioWare was eaten by big scary monster called EA and is forced to be his willing gold-piling slave. And Square Enix went insane - making crazy decisions, spitting on fans, trying to imitate EA (probably hoping it would not eat them as well)...
Both of these studios are standing on a metaphorical cliff. Their last chances to clean their names in front of their fans
Clear their names of what?
BioWare for being money-pilling jerks (thought it is EA's fault) and Square Enix for stomping on Crimson Echoes and jokes of the games they are making these days...
Well, BioWare can at least say they are being ruled by EA...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
GRIN's suspicions were confirmed when Square Enix failed one of the studio's tests. It sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Playstation-2/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306711720&sr=8-1], saying it was from Fortress, to see what the company would do. Square Enix replied: "It does not look like Final Fantasy."
I just love this. It means one of two things: either a) that GRIN was right, and Squeenix set them up for failure, or b) Squeenix is so abysmally stupid that they don't even recognize their own products.

Either way, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Squeenix releases that long begged-for FFVII remake. The way I see it, unless Last Story is a big success, that might be the only thing that can keep Squeenix out of the proverbial dumpster.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
SalamanderJoe said:
If anyone is interested, this is what Fortress was going to look like:

I would have played that over a Square Enix FF game any day of the week (or at least any of the new ones).

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Nothing like a good chance to bash SE even more, huh?

That article is so biased it's useless on it's own. Until you get SE's side of the story(Which will also be heavily biased) you can't even begin to understand the full story. GRIN aren't exactly going to admit they screwed up in any way. Not that I'm saying SE is completely innocent, it's no secret that japanese companys have some very odd management styles.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
GRIN's suspicions were confirmed when Square Enix failed one of the studio's tests. It sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Playstation-2/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306711720&sr=8-1], saying it was from Fortress, to see what the company would do. Square Enix replied: "It does not look like Final Fantasy."
That's hilarious.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
MasaVK said:
SquareEnix has also had lots of problems lately with their games too,
they have all sucked, last good game was they made was FFX.
FFX was squaresoft, Square Enix started developing FF with Final Fantasy X-2, after they bought squaresoft and replaced squares talent with enix personal.
Incidentally that was the point when they started to suck.
I know what you mean with Square Enix but i thought ill clarify it for the board.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
... This is the bit that made me lol the most...

Well, that and asking to fax over the code.

How utterly retarded of SE, but then again, they do seem to like failing miserably.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
HankMan said:
Well that just bites!
Do you serve any other purpose than do lame puns?

On topic:

If that is true, SE should be punished. But on the contrast if this is just a attempt to GRIN to get their last changes this is a low punch. But since I do not know which is a fact I will not state anything too deep. But I am just saying, both parties or even a 3rd one might be playing a game here.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Blitzwing said:
What is the bloody difference between the quality of Squaresoft and Square Enix? Squaresoft made good and bad games and Square Enix makes good and bad games nothing has changed aside from the fans becoming whinier.
Squaresoft made more good* games than bad, and made solid business choices.
Square Enix makes more bad* games than good, and they make shaky business choices..
Subtle differences, ones that can go over some people's heads, but important differences just the same.

*According to the majority of critics and players, which does not seem to include yourself.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Okay, I've finished reading the article myself. The journalist is randomly taking pokes at right-wing politicians and large companies in general (it's a left-leaning newspaper), but that doesn't really change the quotes. Unless they're straight up lying, and I don't think they have any reason to, they make it clear that they got messed with. On a positive note they add at the end that they've started a new company and apparently have something to show at E3.