Grumblr

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This would probably be funnier if I actually used tumblr, but from the sounds of it I don't want to.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
This would probably be funnier if I actually used tumblr, but from the sounds of it I don't want to.
In several ways, that's kind of a blessing actually. However, I've been seeing a few gaming articles more and more these days that look like they were written as tumblr articles, so you may one day be all too familiar with tumblrisms without ever actually visiting the site proper.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
I feel like this video is adequat:
canadamus_prime said:
It is not that bad since I use it mostly for artists I rarely get the stereotypical tumblr post on my blog

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SJW on tumblr spoiling our fun, pointing out our privilege, amirite?

Disappointing.

BL-4CT

Apr 2, 2010
Idk, The only time I used Tumblr, did not understand how to use it, so I left minutes later after created my account. Occasionally, I see screenshots on Facebook and there's pics I find funny, well, I guess Tumblr doesn't want me there.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
thaluikhain said:

Disappointing.
Yep. Eurgh. People are trying to fix a broken society. It's not their fault it is "annoying" to you when you, you know, aren't actually fucking affected by half the shit they're trying to fix. FEMINISM BAD! GO AWAY I DON'T NEED YOUR FEMINISM! Yes, and all the sex traffickers and religiously overzealous will thank you for your compliance. GO AWAY GAYS, YOU DON'T DESERVE SPECIAL RIGHTS! And the kid abandoned by his dad because he was gay will thank you for abiding by his homelessness.

Okay, so people on Tumblr are pushy and angry and generally come off as assholes. But to ignore the message because of the messenger is just... it's not a smart thing to do.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
thaluikhain said:

Disappointing.
Yep. Eurgh. People are trying to fix a broken society. It's not their fault it is "annoying" to you when you, you know, aren't actually fucking affected by half the shit they're trying to fix. FEMINISM BAD! GO AWAY I DON'T NEED YOUR FEMINISM! Yes, and all the sex traffickers and religiously overzealous will thank you for your compliance. GO AWAY GAYS, YOU DON'T DESERVE SPECIAL RIGHTS! And the kid abandoned by his dad because he was gay will thank you for abiding by his homelessness.

Okay, so people on Tumblr are pushy and angry and generally come off as assholes. But to ignore the message because of the messenger is just... it's not a smart thing to do.
Yes, because headmates are truly worth defending and ableism is a plague upon our morality. Not everything on tumblr is bad, but the bad stuff tends to be really bad.

Does anyone else think Cory recently discovered this gem?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Kyrdra said:
It is not that bad since I use it mostly for artists I rarely get the stereotypical tumblr post on my blog
I literally dont understand WHY people follow or pay attention to these crazy blogs.

I follow artists and some comic writers and my friends from the real world. If your ADHD means you have to click on every weird ass blog coming up then i dont think ANY website is right for you :/ I follow about 70 well adjusted people. I never see or hear the weird stuff. It weirds me out how people manage to find it.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Andy of Comix Inc said:

You know using the middleground is sometimes really nice. You can be a feminist without buying into some of the extremes people use

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
thaluikhain said:

Disappointing.
I think you're sort of missing the point of this comic. It's that people on Tumblr are slowly turning into the people they're fighting. And going by my nearly two year experience of being on Tumblr; yes, that's the case. There's an increasingly vitriolic community who spews hatred and anger in the name of social justice.

And that, actually, sadly undermines the often legitimate points that can be made regarding problems in our society. On Tumblr there is lots and lots of emotion, lots and lots of shouting. But not enough listening, not enough calm and rational thought, not enough contemplation. Which sort of makes sense; it's mostly teenagers on there.
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Yep. Eurgh. People are trying to fix a broken society.
And they're going about it the wrong way.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
thaluikhain said:

Disappointing.
I think you're sort of missing the point of this comic. It's that people on Tumblr are slowly turning into the people they're fighting. And going by my nearly two year experience of being on Tumblr; yes, that's the case. There's an increasingly vitriolic community who spews hatred and anger in the name of social justice.

And that, actually, sadly undermines the often legitimate points that can be made regarding problems in our society. On Tumblr there is lots and lots of emotion, lots and lots of shouting. But not enough listening, not enough calm and rational thought, not enough contemplation. Which sort of makes sense; it's mostly teenagers on there.
That is an accusation that has never not been used against people fighting for social justice, though.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
thaluikhain said:

Disappointing.

Actually, I think if you did care about the message, you'd be more angry at tumblr than the person who holds no opinion whatsoever. There you are trying to be calm and reasonable when spreading your message, trying to show people that your message doesn't have to be a fringe idea and therefore anyone can go along with it, and all of a sudden some tumblr warrior starts screaming about the message, saying anyone who doesn't agree is a horrible monster and should be ashamed of themselves, pretty much treating the message as a fringe idea that only a few people are going to understand anyway. That person who tried to hold the honest and reasonable discussion has just had all their work thrown down the drain because of some SJW that thinks raging out and creating obnoxious protest art makes them the fucking saviour of all life. If I honestly cared about a certain issue, I'd be pissed that tumblr users were giving my message or movement a bad name.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I used to use tumblr a lot with one of my friends in highschool. We had a falling out and so that just started me off on this path of growing dislike towards the whole site. Everything has to be so insanely politically correct there and this sect of really, radical feminists(feel like it's an insult to actual feminists to even call them that) have created this echo chamber for themselves that has just totally snowballed into this completely ridiculous community that hates everyone who doesn't fit into their niche while preaching tolerance, equality, and understanding.

The site can still be funny sometimes but I prefer to view it through pictures taken of funny posts on imgur than actually going on the site myself.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
To ignore the message because of the messenger is just... it's not a smart thing to do.
It is also human nature. When someone comes at you with angry rhetoric, unless you already agree with it, it is natural for that confrontational approach to make you feel defensive. Defensive people will very naturally begin arguing to negate the points of the person they feel threatened by. This is why debate classes teach you not to use insults. People who use a tone of anger in their attempt to change minds are either ignorant of how social interaction works, or else they're just plain less interested in actually making a positive change than they are in venting their bile; this is why I am contemptuous of pretty much every men's rights advocate I've ever spoken with, because they don't seem to want to be effective if it means they won't get to call me a mangina in the process.

Oh, uh, I guess I should say something about the comic strip itself, huh? Yeah, it's kinda cute. The kind of joke isn't really my style; it reminds too much of how Jeff Dunham sets himself up for his own punchlines. I don't know if there's a word for that. Still, kinda cute.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Oh I get it, because telling people not to tell racist or wear culture appropriating costumes or be bigots is truly equivalent to white nationalism and racism against people of color, right?

We can make that kind of witty observation now that we're post racism, am I right?

Badum tss!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, still don't get all of the Tumblr hate. I saw one of the blogs that someone posted to captured how "spiteful, hateful and just as bad as the people that they're fighting" Tumblr is...and it was a guy being sarcastic. In response to a tidal wave of tweets in response to the Super Bowl coke ad that was packed to the brim with racial slurs...I really don't get why I was supposed to see him as in the wrong.

I don't know, my exposure to it has been pretty limited, but I've been following a friend's blog for awhile now, and overall it's been a pretty enjoyable experience. Yeah, there are political stuff but not the whole "YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION OR YOU ARE AWFUL" stuff. Is the internet letting a vocal minority consume their vision of a much larger group again?