GTA Baton Rouge: Man Claims Game Inspired His Crime Spree

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, good news is that it doesn't sound like anyone dies. As for video games inspiring him...look at the picture of that guy. Does that look like a person who needs video games to drive him to commit vehicular homicide?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
sid said:
The world's sloppiest car thief does not deserve to be tagged to gta. 9 car crashes? Really?

Also, does he have a criminal record, did he need money, was he drunk? Facts, people
That's what I was thinking. Everybody, we found a man drunk behind the wheel! It's ok though, that didn't cause any crashing or erratic behavior, it was teh video gamez.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
Grand Theft Auto...? Which?

Seriously though, these excuses as correctly pointed out are no different from claiming it was the Devil. The only difference is video games are a psychical form based within reality that millions of people enjoy without problem.

We'll get the usual "FOX NEWS REPORT!" and move on like nothing happened. This man will still get the same trial whether he said this or not.
I don't know no one was shot or killed, all this makes it look like is that following GTA's example will turn you into is one of America's Dumbest Criminals.

Managed to hit 9 parked cars, attempted to flee on foot, was apprehended by onlookers ... only thing that's missing is Yakity Sax

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People have been doing things like these long before GTA even existed. GTA was inspired by twisted human nature. He wasn't inspired by GTA. He's using it as an excuse for being a terrible human being.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
When hubris is in control there is little a person won't do to stay out of trouble. This guy is just pulling out all the stops. It is not going to help. Perhaps his daddy's money will help a bit more, but with all the knee-jerk reactions from the ill-equipped and uninformed individuals that make policy and judicial decisions this thin GTA excuse might get him off. And that my friends is the real tragedy. Someone playing the system, knowing a hot button topic and cashing in on the fear mongering that has created a case for him. Let him sit in County for a while and perhaps it will straighten him out. A little.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Man, that is a face that screams "I have never made an intelligent decision in my life."

He's pretty blatantly a dumb kid that wanted to do something dumb and went about it in a very dumb way. These sorts of crimes have existed since long before GTA came around. Where do they think the fucking name came from? It's just a kid crying wolf so that he comes across as a bit less stupid, and would maybe get off easier.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
kordo said:
It's idiots like this asshole why we can't have nice things.
What do you mean by "nice things"?
Crime happens no matter what. It happened before GTA, movies, even books. We could blame whatever we want, it doesn't change anything.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Incoming Media Backlash. Let's see how long it takes before we spend more tax money on ANOTHER study to conclude that no, Video Games do NOT make you a fucking batshit idiot lunatic.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Awww poor widdle tyke. Did the evil men at GTA take control of your mind and make you do bad things?

See people!? SEEEE!? This is what comes of playing violent video games. Not that he seems to have actually done anything violent except accidentally drive into parked cars. But hey, kidnapping! That's pretty vile. Even though it was only kidnapping by complete accident and for a few seconds before he wrecked and legged it. 'sigh' Ok this isn't working out like I had planned.

..... I'VE GOT IT!! Playing violent video games like GTA makes you into a moron!!! Let's see you guys dispute THAT.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
This does not muster the definition of news at all, some redneck drunken idiot doing something drunken redneck and stupid, and tries the good old scapegoat defense, any news outlet gives this guy the time of day they should lose the ability to report news.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Louisiana State had just handed his team their first loss of the season. I'm betting he was drinking away his sorrows, leading to one of the stupidest goddamn things any of us will see this year.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Honestly reading this article, I thought I was on the Onion that being said.

OT: Dumbass move for a dumbass reason, I bet the anti-fun nuts, like our typical news media will use this as proof to how bad those darn video games are.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I wonder why the police persist in asking criminals who are obviously nuts questions like "why did you do it?", as if they would know the answer in the first place - and even if they did, as if they could be trusted to tell the truth.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This is more of a mentally unstable individual committing crimes because a game inspired him to.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Cowards.... You are GOD DAMN 20... take responsibilities for your self, and your own actions! stop acting like a damn juvi!

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm going to chalk it up to this guy just being dumb. I live in a fairly trusting city. There have been numerous times when I've seen a car running with its doors unlocked and just about every time, I always think about how easy it would be to steal it. What I don't do is actually steal the car. It is a remarkably easy thing to do.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
This makes me really upset to be in my late twenties and a citizen of Baton Rouge. Frankly . . . I just don't know where to go from here. But, I will say if more criminals that are at least OF AGE to be playing shit like GTA are using it as an excuse, maybe the companies will stop trying to say "won't someone think of the children!? the poor defenseless 25 year old children with mortgages and fiancees!"

Honestly though . . . I'm just so tired of this crap. Dumbass commits crime, Dumbass claims or is found to have played videogames AT ALL, not even specifically GTA or violent ones and then the media and the scared old ladies riot in the streets screaming about how "them damn vidjagaems keep killin all tha chilrens!" I'm just so tired . . . so very tired of this.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
here's hoping the book gets thrown at him.
Let us hope that it is a large, heavy book with pointy corners.

And it seems like this guy was probably drunk or is incredibly stupid. He wanted to see what a videogame was 'really like' by stealing someone's car? That's not a legitimate excuse for crime as he should know that stealing cars is generally frowned upon in the real world. At least now he can see what going to prison is really like.
So since he got to live out his fantasy of being in a GTA game can I live out my fantasy of being a real life warden a la Prison Architect with him as my first inmate?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
CJ1145 said:
Man, that is a face that screams "I have never made an intelligent decision in my life."

He's pretty blatantly a dumb kid that wanted to do something dumb and went about it in a very dumb way. These sorts of crimes have existed since long before GTA came around. Where do they think the fucking name came from? It's just a kid crying wolf so that he comes across as a bit less stupid, and would maybe get off easier.
Pretty much this. "Aw, fuck; the pigs're here! Think fast bro, think fast - IT AIN'T ME, FELLAS, IT WAS MICHAEL DE SANTO! CALL FOX NEWS!"

I'd like to make the trek to his Baton Rouge pokey and give him the slowest of all Slow Handclaps.