Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Pitch Brought Chris Pratt To "Tears"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Pitch Brought Chris Pratt To "Tears"

Actor Chris Pratt says that Marvel has been letting James Gunn do what he wants with Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Guardians of the Galaxy <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks>was pretty danged fantastic. We feel safe in saying that most people would agree with that sentiment. That being the case, Marvel Studios and director James Gunn are still aiming to up the ante with its sequel: Guardians of the Galaxy 2. If a recent interview with Star-Lord actor Chris Pratt is any indicator however, the movie might do more than just offer bigger and better thrills.

Speaking about the film, Pratt described Gunn's pitch for the movie as "remarkable" and even went so far as to claim that it left him feeling genuinely emotional. "[James Gunn's] pitch and his idea legitimately put tears in my eyes," he said. "I cannot wait to get started on it, and I cannot wait for people to see what he's going to pull off with this second movie. It's so, so big and so good." Pratt would go on to indicate that Marvel had been similarly impressed by Gunn's idea and, in turn, was leaving him alone to do what he wanted with it. "From what I understand," said Pratt. "They heard it at Marvel and they said nothing. There was no micromanaging of the idea, they just loved it so much that they didn't even have a note for it."

While we obviously don't know exactly what Gunn's doing that made Pratt and Marvel so deeply excited, something tells us that it will probably be a bit deeper than just a really elaborate or explosive action sequence. Don't get us wrong, we're sure the film will have those too. It's just that most people don't get teary-eyed thinking about that sort of thing. In other news, James Gunn has revealed that
<a href=https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/605877731318833153>the first draft of the script for Guardians 2 is now complete. So woo hoo for that!

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is currently slated to hit theaters in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136451-SDCC-2014-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2-Already-Announced-For-July-2017>May of 2017.

Source: <a href=http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a650758/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-story-put-tears-in-chris-pratts-eyes.html#~peziDbH0whbbzR>Digital Spy

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Here's hoping Gunn borrow's more material from DnA's run. GIVE US MANTIS, PLEASE GOD!

Also, wtb Richard Rider.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Politrukk said:
Fappy said:
Here's hoping Gunn borrow's more material from DnA's run. GIVE US MANTIS, PLEASE GOD!

Also, wtb Richard Rider.
Trade for Magus?
You need Adam Warlock before you can get Magus. Maybe he'll show up for the Thanos movies?

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Fappy said:
Politrukk said:
Fappy said:

Also, wtb Richard Rider.
Trade for Magus?
You need Adam Warlock before you can get Magus. Maybe he'll show up for the Thanos movies?
Darn, foiled again.

I do hope Adam turns up though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Today is a good day. Today, Fallout 4 has been announced and Chris Pratt weeps tears of joy. Good times...

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I respect Christ Pratt and everything, but I have a policy to never get sucked into hype. So words like "it made me cry" and "the company literally haven't interfered at all" do nothing to me... nothing!... I hope.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Good
Lately we've gotten a bunch of movies that have benefited from a lack of studio micromanaging. Hopefully the trend of paranoid studio execs smothering innovation weakens a bit as a result (also GOTG2 is good).

I have mixed feelings about Starlords dad though, as he's obviously not the same guy as the comics and that whole "Your DNA is super mysterious and ancient" line made me cringe hard (Not how DNA works and why would aliens even have DNA?).

I just really hope they don't make Thanos his dad.... Or any useless demi god character for that matter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Stupidity said:
Good
Lately we've gotten a bunch of movies that have benefited from a lack of studio micromanaging. Hopefully the trend of paranoid studio execs smothering innovation weakens a bit as a result (also GOTG2 is good).

I have mixed feelings about Starlords dad though, as he's obviously not the same guy as the comics and that whole "Your DNA is super mysterious and ancient" line made me cringe hard (Not how DNA works and why would aliens even have DNA?).

I just really hope they don't make Thanos his dad.... Or any useless demi god character for that matter.
My best guess is that it's Captain Marvel, which honestly wouldn't be that bad if they make him less demi-god and more just some kree dude who was really good at using super hi-tech bracelets.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
StewShearer said:
a really elaborate or explosive action sequence. Don't get us wrong, we're sure the film will have those too. It's just that most people don't get teary-eyed thinking about that sort of thing.
Heh. When I read that sentence I couldn't help but imagine a forlorn Michael Bay weeping at his latest epic explosion as tears rolled down his face.

Anyway, nice article. :)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why do I get a sinking feeling that the sequel will have a flashback on Drax family? I mean that what sequel are for, more character building.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Fappy said:
My best guess is that it's Captain Marvel, which honestly wouldn't be that bad if they make him less demi-god and more just some kree dude who was really good at using super hi-tech bracelets.
Wouldn't explain the super ancient DNA thing. Also it implied he could kinda use the infinity stone because he's like half immortal or something. Which I don't think the Kree are?

Also I'm really hoping they are combining Captain Marvel and Mrs Marvel into one character. Her origin story is too generic and rushed if not. Random person finds alien tech/explosion and a dying alien is a bad origin and one we've already seen in Green Lantern. I would totally be down for a female Captain Marvel doing the whole alien spy mistaken for a super hero and rolls with it thing. Much more interesting and fun.

Her character is just too based on her relationship with Captain Marvel, who he haven't even heard about yet.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
I can say one thing. Who else is going to watch the first movie before heading out to watch the film in theaters the same day?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
I respect Christ Pratt and everything, but I have a policy to never get sucked into hype. So words like "it made me cry" and "the company literally haven't interfered at all" do nothing to me... nothing!... I hope.
I agree. Reading the headline made me think less of tears and more of dollar signs If not a part of an actor's contract, it's at least good form for them to hype up a film they are about to release. Those talk show interviews aren't just for them to enjoy themselves.

It's good that Guardians has some passion behind, in both in the lead actor and the writing, but something like "joyful tears from reading the script" just sounds like a marketing team said "use some of these buzzwords when you talk to the press."

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I saw a picture a while back that said "Guardians of the Galaxy 2: The War of Kings", which if it is true would be the greatest thing to ever happen. And like a few others... Add fuckin' Mantis, Adam Warlock, and Quasar(The lesbian one).

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Called this months ago and will continue to say it. The Guardians are going to Earth. Star Lord is gonna have to go back home to figure out who his dad is while Drax, Groot, and Rocket get into wacky hijinks on our primitive planet.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I donno, but GOTG was one of my favorite movies in a long long time. I have nothing but high hopes for this one, honestly speaking. I hope all goes well with it.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Fappy said:
I am predicting Adam Warlock is Peter's dad. I heard somewhere (can't find the link, so feel free to disregard this as the rumor it is) J-son is pretty much getting cut from the movies for being too comic-booky.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Travis Fischer said:
Called this months ago and will continue to say it. The Guardians are going to Earth. Star Lord is gonna have to go back home to figure out who his dad is while Drax, Groot, and Rocket get into wacky hijinks on our primitive planet.
Mamma Mia meets The Voyage Home? He likes you very much, but he is the hell not your Groot.