Guild Wars 2 for $10

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In light of the announced Guild Wars 2 expansion, Arena net is offering the game for sale on their website for $10 dollars. If you've wanted to try out the no subscription mmo, now is the perfect time.

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.buyguildwars2

Edit: the sale was only for the weekend so sadly it's back to normal price.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Worgen said:
In light of the announced Guild Wars 2 expansion, Arena net is offering the game for sale on their website for $10 dollars. If you've wanted to try out the no subscription mmo, now is the perfect time.

OMG thank you 100 times over. I have been wanting this game for a while and at the low price of 15$ for the Digital Deluxe Edition I cant think of a reason not to get it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
popa_qwerty said:
Worgen said:

OMG thank you 100 times over. I have been wanting this game for a while and at the low price of 15$ for the Digital Deluxe Edition I cant think of a reason not to get it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I've put a ton of time into it and still enjoy it myself.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Worgen said:
popa_qwerty said:
Worgen said:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I've put a ton of time into it and still enjoy it myself.
Any tips that can help me seeing that the only experience I have in MMO's is WOW and LOR(Lord of the Rings Online).

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
There's a great deal of 'Guild Wars 2 beginner's tips' on YouTube. Off the top of my head: diversify. Try all the gameplay types, as they all contribute to progress. Doing your daily achievements (at least 3) every day can accelerate your gold, xp and magic find permanently, giving youan early leg up. Same goes for loggimng in daily for the login rewards. Have fun!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
popa_qwerty said:
Worgen said:
popa_qwerty said:
Worgen said:

Any tips that can help me seeing that the only experience I have in MMO's is WOW and LOR(Lord of the Rings Online).
Learn to dodge, when you dodge you are immune to all damage, basic pve won't really teach you it too much, it wont be until you start doing dungeons where you will really start to learn it, but having some basic knowledge about when to dodge will give you a big boost in the game. Also, don't worry too much about crafting on your first character, they have gotten better about giving you lots of crafting materials, but it can still be tricky. Don't bother with more than one crafting skill until your second character since by then you should have a decent stock of materials to go from. Also, don't take cooking as your first crafting skill, it uses a lot of inventory space and tends to be harder to level than the rest.

Feb 4, 2014
Do yourself a favor and don't browse the GW2 forums. Those guys can be REALLY negative about the game and everything in it. Just reading those posts drain my will to play (that and a laptop dat can now barely run 20 fps on medium when there aren't many people online). If you ignore the forum (except the 'player help player' subforum, which can be handy) then you should have lots of fun.

Also: Charr masterrace FTW :3

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Prepare Your Keyhole said:
Do yourself a favor and don't browse the GW2 forums. Those guys can be REALLY negative about the game and everything in it. Just reading those posts drain my will to play (that and a laptop dat can now barely run 20 fps on medium when there aren't many people online). If you ignore the forum (except the 'player help player' subforum, which can be handy) then you should have lots of fun.
This. The people who are always on the forum are there because they aren't actually playing the game. GW2 is a great game. Sure, I only play it in spurts and take extended time off, but all of the story is compelling and interesting. Running around the world doing map exploration and jumping puzzles is loads of fun the first time too. I recommend using all your character slots to determine what class you enjoy, since they all play very differently. I am not ashamed to admit that I have spent about $150 on this game since it launched, and you just can't beat the price of $10.

A side effect of this expansion announcement and the $10 price tag means there will be a huge number of people picking up the game for the first time, which should allow the beginning areas to be vastly more populated. Should be fun for everyone.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
This isn't even funny now. For $10 you're getting SO much entertainment and content it's crazy.

ArenaNet how are you doing it??

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
GW2 is the best non subscription fee MMO out there, it's a truly BEAUTIFUL game and the game play is fun and engaging. well worth the $10. i played it when it came out, hit level 80 and didn't go back, but only because there wasn't much incentive to continue (a problem of all MMOs) with this expansion I am going to give it another try.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
10-15 quid is definitely worth it. It's a gigantic amount of content for that money.

As for tips... Try whatever playable race you want, but visit every capital (easily accessible through the Asura gates in Lion's Arch). The races' capitals are some of the most beautiful areas in the game.

The sale has definitely brought in new blood; there were a number of new players in Queensdale when I was playing earlier.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I know GW2 has been going on for a while now so will I have missed any of the story if I start now? Is it in the game? Or do I need to check the wiki for everything thats happened up until now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
CrazyBlaze said:
I know GW2 has been going on for a while now so will I have missed any of the story if I start now? Is it in the game? Or do I need to check the wiki for everything thats happened up until now.
Pretty much as you can only start the Living Stories season 2 since season 1 was comprised of group events (like we had to fight a giant marrionette mech!)
Here is a helpful link.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World#Summaries

popa_qwerty said:
Here are some advice-
As someone already mention, thanks to the new daily system, if you just log in once everyday, you get some minor rewards but it will built up to a much better reward when you log on the 30th day. Don't worry about the constant need to log in everday as if you misse a day or two, the reward track will continue where you left off.
Additionally if you want to build up your "achievement points" you will have to complete any 3 dailies achievement to get 10 points (trust me this system is ALOT better than the old form!) Most of them are easy to do althought it may get you to branch out if you're only PVE like PVP and World vs World.

For crafting, I suggest picking one of the armors (make sure you know which armour classes your character is) and the weapons aswell (again look up which weapons your character will be using the most) and maybe Jewelry but it's up to you.

Speaking of crafting, make sure you ALWAYS gather the material found in the map like metal and woods. You going to need alot of them if you want to advance your craftmanship.

If you loot any good rare or exotic weapons or armours, check the trading post first! Chance are, it could be worth quite abit however you only find those rarity once you above level 20 I think.

Experiment with your characer. Try out the different weapons and skill to see which one you liked the most. These days, it is free to changed your traits abot so again experiemnt the traits your character have!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I only see the Digital Heroic version for $40 and Digital Deluxe for $60. Was this a one day only deal? If so, I'm disappointed...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Kopikatsu said:
I only see the Digital Heroic version for $40 and Digital Deluxe for $60. Was this a one day only deal? If so, I'm disappointed...
It was only for the weekend, I'm afraid.

popa_qwerty said:
1) Don't be afraid to reroll. Stats in the Guild Wars franchise can be adjusted on the fly, so you'll never have to worry about making a critical mistake, but sometimes the character just might feel wrong to you. Don't be afraid to act on that. I, for instance, rerolled my sylvari, charr, human, and asura several times each. Funnily enough, I hated Thief and Elementalist on my sylvari, and hated Mesmer on my human...cue some time and rerolls and I'm quite content with my sylvari Mesmer, human thief, and asura elementalist (Funny how different race/class combos can feel different, isn't it?)

Addendum: DO reroll. Part of character creation will ask you about a piece of equipment you have (class based, of course). For elementalists it's a headpiece symbolizing their favored element, necromancers get facepaint, mesmers get masks, guardians get a helmet or shoulderpads, and so on and so forth. These are unique skins that cannot be acquired anywhere else in the game. Don't be afraid to lose them, but I do advise going through character creation once for each piece of equipment (even if you delete the character before the prologue ends) to unlock the skin.

2) Crafting: Crafting's a bit of a mixed bag, but A) it's a fairly easy way to get some extra experience to level up, and B) you will eventually want to max out all the crafting disciplines across your account if only because the devs have recently been adding 'scavenger hunt' equipment that requires high level crafting components and it will save you some money.

3) Use the Trading Post. Money in Guild Wars can be fairly scarce for new players, especially if they're salvaging their equipment religiously. As a general rule I recommend the following strategy: Salvage any equipment that you soulbind. If you have no use for equipment of green or higher rarity (green, yellow, orange), check the trading post (the lion icon at the top of the screen) to see what it sells for. If it sells for more than the merchants will buy it for (and it will stop you if it doesn't) sell it through the trading post. White and blue equipment can be sold or salvaged at your discretion.

4) Find the telescope icons. If you see a spyglass icon on the map, talk to it, as it will reveal some nearby 'renown hearts'. This isn't necessary by any stretch, as the hearts will automatically pop up when you enter their operational area, but it does add a bit more context to the character of the map and it makes you less likely to overlook a heart.

5) Complete the maps. As you will undoubtedly see when you pull up your map, each zone has several things to discover and complete. Skill points (the blue icon), vistas (the red icon), Points of Interest (the yellow-orange icon), and Renown Hearts (the gold hearts), and the map will helpfully inform you of how many you've found and how many you are missing. Indulge your inner completionist and complete the maps. Doing so gives you gold, experience, crafting materials, loot (which can again be sold on the Trading Post), and occasionally Black Lion Chest Keys (which you can use to open black lion chests for various boosters, merchant/trading post summoners and - rarely - items that let you change the look of a character on your account (including appearance options unique to that item)), and Transmutation Charges (which allow you to change the appearance of your armor or weapons).

6) Unlocking Skins. You will undoubtedly notice 'skin locked' text amongst that of the various equipment you come across and an 'unlocked' message popping up occasionally. This means that you can turn give any piece of equipment you own the appearance of that item (provided, of course, that it's a similar item. You can't give a longbow a shortbow's skin, for instance) through a transmutation charge. Unlocked skins and unlocked dyes (which can be changed on a whim without any charges) are account wide, so if you find an item you don't have a skin for, go ahead and unlock it unless you really want the Trading Post gold. You can unlock skins for white and blue items without concern (you can still sell them on the TP) but doing so on items of green rarity or above binds the item to your account, meaning that you can sell them only to merchants, salvage them, destroy them, trade them to another of your characters, or toss them into the mystic fountain in Lion's Arch.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
bare in mind I played and ended up not liking GW2

yeah, $10 is totally worth it, it's notta bad game, there's at least a lot of things to do and explore.

but there's just things about it that rubbed me wrong.

also yes as the other guy said Charr FTW

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Worgen said:
Learn to dodge
This can not be stressed enough. You still see veteran players dropping like flies because they can't be bothered to dodge.

As for other tips:
- Find a friendly guild that will explain things as you go along. This is much better than reading up beforehand. In my experience, GW2 has a very friendly community with loads of people willing to help a beginner.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
bare in mind I played and ended up not liking GW2

yeah, $10 is totally worth it, it's notta bad game, there's at least a lot of things to do and explore.

but there's just things about it that rubbed me wrong.

also yes as the other guy said Charr FTW
When was the last time you played it? They have changed the game systems a lot since launch.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Worgen said:

Ooh! I've been waiting for a chance to nab this at a decent sale pri-

Edit: the sale was only for the weekend so sadly it's back to normal price.
Hm...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I've had GW2 for quite some time (years) but I've never gotten very far in it, despite loving the hell out of the original GW and its Expansions.

I think its just because WoW has just become so all-encompassing it, and actually having the defined roles of Tank>DPS>Healer is more fun than having the more "fluid" systems seen in GW2 and other MMOs.