Guilty Pleasure Games

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
TES IV: Oblivion is an absolutely terrible game. Not a single major aspect (i.e. gameplay, main story, world building, among others) rises above average and it is basically a colossal mess of a game. Same could be said for Morrowind and Skyrim, too, but I don't really enjoy them.

Oblivion's awful qualities seem to blend together to make something immensely enjoyable, and it's easily one of my favourite games.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
Agarest games. Love me some Agarest, and no, not just because of the sex appeal, which is the part that others usually feel is the main point of my liking the games.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
pff!!!!

I like what I like and feel no shame about the stuff I play, there for, I have no guilty pleasure games!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm struggling to think of one right now. In order to feel guilty about a game I like, there has to be something inappropriate about the game. I can't think of a game that would make me feel that way.

Back in the day, I guess Pokemon Blue would have counted, but I think Pokemon has solidified its position as a legitimate game series. I know there were a few other "kiddie" games that I felt were too good for what they should have been. Neopets: The Darkest Farie was one that came to mind, but I haven't visited that in years, and I barely played it longer than a single playthrough (which was a bit of time). I think the game that causes me the most guilt is Terraria. I've played it more than any other game I own on Steam, and while I have gotten completely sick of it several times, if I go back, I just zone out and keep playing, wasting more time. I have 640 titles on Steam, I should be playing a few more of them than just that one game.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Took me a while to think of one. I wasn't about to just chuck all of the visual novels I play under the bus, but I did think of one. Yandere. Yandere is just seven hours of sex and fan-service for yandere fans. Being one makes me enjoy the game and since the story is a horrid mess and you'll feel two emotions towards characters in the game, pity and hatred, the only reason I played it was because I enjoy yanderes.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
I had a hard time explaining why i play Viscera Cleanup Detail to non-gamers, especially if those people ever saw the state of my flat.

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
I love Hidden Object games for unwinding. I get a pile of them pretty cheap off steam when the sales hit (like 55 cents cheap) and pick up disks with 5+ from stores. I love my regular games, but sometimes I want something simple and these deliver.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Senran Kagura Burst. I loathe playing it in public, and I can't play it with the sound up w/o headphones! Just minutes of girls screaming, and bouncing boobs, and stuff!
But I like it for lots of reasons! Pretty solid brawler, good plot, and writing, and stuff.

To a lesser extent, Project X-Zone. Morrigan, and a lot of other scantily clad women behind this, really, and that's it. Not something I'm comfortable someone looking over my shoulder, and seeing. Still, I like it a lot!

Even lesser of an extent, Style Savvy: Trend Setters. Not sure why. Just kinda uptight about it.

But I only have shame in public. If I'm by myself, I'll play anything that has my attention.

small

Aug 5, 2014
username sucks said:
I feel no shame for the games I play, but if I had to pick...

Empire Earth 3. An RTS that many consider to be the worst game ever made by anyone. Totally imbalanced and such a disgrace to the previous games that the developer removed all traces of the game on thier website, before going out of business. And I love it in all of its broken glory.
Well thats grounds for a diagnosis of mental illness in various countries due to being out of touch with reality, now if you say you liked master of orion 3 as well then i would be forced to call someone as you are a danger to yourself. as it stands im keeping my eye on you !

my answer would be sims 3, i love creating a time travelling lara croft style character who just happens to be a super villian trying to create a systopian future.

whats that? theres a festival in town, muahaha lets make it snow! im that evil

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Dating. Sims. And visual novels too. I'm glad that some have been released on Steam and more are to follow. I'm usually not that interested in erotic content so the 'censorship' doesn't bother me too much. I wish in general that more non-erotic-focused (as in nukiges) visual novels and sims would get released in English (and that dating sims in general would get localised).

Also raising sims! I love Princess Maker 2 and dammit I wish I could get access to the PC versions of the sequels. Because there are patches, apparently.

I loved Rumble Roses on the PS2, it was so camp but it felt self-aware.

Hidden object and casual puzzle games - sometimes after work I want to play something that doesn't require too much effort but still needs a certain degree of focus.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
CrystalShadow said:
I guess saying I own a lot of Wii games qualifies? XD
There are no shames for your wii games! Don't ever let them convince you otherwise. ;)

OT. I feel guilt for any gaming i partake in. I should be out experiencing the world, damnit! Curse my current social anxiety peak.

Actually i really enjoy Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and bolts, it seems not many others do though.

Sonic Adventure 2, i like the chao pet gardens and breeding/racing etc. Some of the music's alright too. Not broody. Not broody at all!

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
thetoddo said:
Just wondering if anyone would care to share games that they love that outside of a gaming forum you'd be laughed out of the room for playing.

I'll start:

Final Fantasy X2. The story is terrible, but the battle system is way too fun, the job/class system is almost as good as FF Tactics and the vibrancy of the colors in almost every part of the game just makes me happy.

Viva Pinata. I've put a couple thousand hours into these games, and I feel no shame.

I'd say the pokemon games, but while I've only met a couple other adults who play them obsessively casual browsing of any type of media shows that a LOT of adults out there are right there with me.

You?
Tug of war and Tower Defense maps in Starcraft 2.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Well...call it a frustrating pleasure.

Clearwaters

Jul 14, 2014
I can't let anyone know about my Pokemon Snap addiction. It's one of my relaxation games and I've finished it more times than I can count. It is short though.

I also play Senran Kagura even got the "Let's Get Physical" edition of Shinovi Versus. If you know the title you'll know why I don't take it out when pleasant company is around. Also come to think of it I wouldn't want people to know about 80% of the games I play on my PS Vita.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Probably Catherine, if someone doesn't know what it is and just saw a few scenes it would look weird. I haven't finished it but have enjoyed it sofar :)

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I will put my hat with the aforementioned Agarest and Final Fantasy X-2, lured by the sexy, stayed for the gameplay. The same can be said with Huniepop, went for sexy, stayed for the puzzles and the bad humor.

I guess you could call Postal 2 a guilty pleasure game, disgusting humor, racial stereotypes, shallow gameplay. But in its defense, it's also a very cathartic game. Pissed off after a terrible day, go in and throw a sledgehammer at random people while dressed up as a cop or gimp...it's bizarrely satisfying.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Lego games. All the ones based on movies. They are easy but are relaxing to play. I love them. STOP JUDGING ME! lol

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Recettear, I just like to run a cute little item store and do happy dungeon exploration for loot.

Love Live:School Idol Festival, again cute girls doing cute things, and music games are always fun. And hey, it's free.

The Path, because sometimes I just enjoy long walks in the forest.

Gone Home, I actually liked that one, was a nice little story.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I played through Princess Maker 2 a few times back in the day. Princess Maker 2, the game that God Save the Queen wishes it was as autistically detailed as, and is probably glad it is less perverted than. You raise an adopted daughter in the royal court in hopes that she will eventually become- well, something awesome. It has a ton of endings. Some of them aren't translated so you just get a picture of your daughter doing something and the text "Missing File 32423af."

On the surface it seems like a normal, decent game but under the hood it's more or less a simulator for being the world's worst fantasy hero dad. From feeding your daughter a diet of pills to increase her bust size, to making her enter the royal dance receital naked, to forcing her to work in a hostess club to pay for her seaside vacations, to letting her get molested by kidnappers in the woods, it's just a long string of horribly dodgy perversion culminating in, should you play your cards wrongly enough, death or sexual servitude or incestuous marriage. She can also grow up to be queen of hell, which is awesome but still technically bad.