Guise of the Wolf Dev Takes Down Negative YouTube Review - Update 2

Sep 14, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Youtube copyright policies? Videogame developers being assholes? independent little guy getting unfairly targeted?

I can already hear the engine of the internet hate machine warming up.
very well put

OT: Lol at this dev commiting suicide by doing this, good luck coming back from this kind of bad press if/when it gets around more publicly.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wow...this is...just WOW!

I cannot figure out just what could drive this action after how badly the last copyright incident turned out. I've been a fan of TBs since watching his Worgen starting zone videos and if this keeps happening he could be at actual risk of either losing his channel or just quitting out of frustration which would both be a terrible outcome.

I suspect someone at the dev thought maybe all the press would boost sales like someone mentioned above but that seems like far too big a gamble to spur on doing something like this.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Oh boy.

Oh golly.

Oh lawdy.

FUN's fucked itself so hard nobody will even speak their name anymore..

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Barbas said:
I've heard that thanks to YouTube's lazy copyright strike system, one more strike against TB means his channel goes down[footnote]I could be wrong here, but if it keeps going down and having to be reinstated over things like this, I can imagine him and others giving up on YouTube because of the hassle of the system, which is a concern.[/footnote]. I've no idea whether it would be reinstated because of his popularity. Companies just seem to be doing this whenever they can get away with it now. According to Jim's latest video, seen here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMidHqWGQAM], Square Enix has been throwing strikes out willy-nilly for things like the Final Fantasy games. The video mentions they have taken down a lot of AngryJoe's videos, although I don't know how long ago that happened, since I don't follow his channel.

It's load of shit, really, innit?
In the case of Square Enix, it most likely due to a case of hydra (common problem with Japanese publisher), where each Square Enix Japan sending out the strike, while their America and EU offices get annoyed by that decision, as they are the one one who usually have to deal with most consumer and professional that would be affected by those strike and salvage the situation.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Vaccine said:
BrotherRool said:
Thought experiment. You've made an incredibly cruddy game, one that no-one in their right mind would ever want to play. Do you think they sold more copies of the game before the news of their takedown claims got posted on every major gaming site on the internet, or after (before it got taken off steam).

Heck Guise of the Wolf is still on Steam.
Oh boy, something I can actually answer: http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1p4bz4/garrys_incident_incident_had_no_positive_impact/
Oh cheers, that's actually really interesting. Cheers!
Nihlus2 said:
Here is the thing though about the strikes after the latest Youtube overhaul: You lose privileges depending on the number of strikes you currently have on your channel:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797387

Several of the features here are removed depending on how many strikes you have, starting at 1 strike, and 3 resulting in permanent deletion of the account in question.

So yeah? just 1 strike puts his entire work at risk and hinders it to a certain degree, because he is losing out on features and they will continue to be disabled until he can prove he is innocent to Youtube/Google.

So it goes beyond the video itself in questions. A single strike on your account has damage to affects a lot of your future work if you are a content creator in the slightest.

It should be noted though, that this treatment is limited to Copyright Strikes/Claims, not Content ID matching, which will be isolated to the video in of itself being the target. Not the entirety of the channel. But since he got hit with a Copyright Claim? then yeah, I can understand the urgency to get this fixed, or he will be running with less features to upload stuff with, than a 1 day old Youtube channel.
You don't have to prove to Google that you're innocent as much as treadwater for a few months until the burden of proof gets shifted back to the people making the claim.

Those guidelines are interesting, but they either mean that Total Biscuit definitely doesn't have a strike against his account or that Youtube have made some kind of exception for him. Because according to the guidelines not being in good standing prevents you from uploading videos more than 15 minutes long and he's definitely not being restricted by that.

It might be a multi-channel network thing protects people from those kind of consequences. YourMovieSucks is another channel that's constantly receiving strikes and they're not having those priviledges restricted either. I wouldn't be surprised if Google were doing it to force people to sign up to networks

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is just another vulgar display of youtube's broken system. TotalBiscuit hit again for telling his well thought opinion? He may be a little guy, but he's got a sizable audience. I hope Fun Creator gets bit in the ass big time for this. I'm up for signing a petition that requires an essay included to show my legit concern over this.

TB has always been well withing his right to fair use of game footage. I can't wait for some ass of a game company to force a take-down of his Content Patch videos 'cause he had an OC Remix of one of their game's song at the end and we'd never here OC Remix saying they got a letter saying they had to take the song off their servers. "Let's silence our critics, because that's always is the best way to make money without much effort."

Honestly, Youtube needs to start penalizing these false take-downs somehow. If they don't have a Youtube channel, they should have great limits put on how many strikes they can try to issue and a person(with the ability to reason not some dumb computer) should review all their strikes they issue for a long time. And If they have their own monetized channels, along with the watch on their actions like without a channel it should be a direct deduction of funds and big enough that the greedy execs don't try to take a hit to silence dissidence.

This is what we were worried about before net neutrality even fell. Companies will try to screw any threat at making more money even if it's legal to exist, especially if they have an easily exploited weakness. TB is a little guy who can't afford strikes on his major source of income. I only hope some other jackass companies doesn't take a juicy opportunity to hit him with more strikes right now. He does have a young son, you greedy bastards.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
llagrok said:
I pray that they tear down TB, his terrible videos and anything else that mouth-breather has put on the internet.

Only thing that we need is his poorly written article on somethingawful.
So you are okay with a company making a false copyright claim to censor something they don't agree with because you don't like the person who made the video in question?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Welp, turns out that FunCreators got caught after all.
Honestly, abuse of this shit should be criminal, given how it's directly interfering with the law (Fair Use).

If Youtube's monitoring process wasn't so fucked up, TB would have grounds to sue.

llagrok said:
Only thing that need is his poorly written article on somethingawful.

I fixed that for you. Because you don't get to speak for everyone, and thank goodness for that.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Welp, turns out that FunCreators got caught after all.
Honestly, abuse of this shit should be criminal, given how it's directly interfering with the law (Fair Use).

If Youtube's monitoring process wasn't so fucked up, TB would have grounds to sue.

llagrok said:
Only thing that need is his poorly written article on somethingawful.

I fixed that for you. Because you don't get to speak for everyone, and thank goodness for that.

Given his forum health meter, I think he'll be a non-issue momentarily.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Sigh, they never learn.

I can't wait to see a video response about it you know? Just to spread the word even more.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Kind of hard to for Funcreators to deny issuing the claim when ""► WTF Is... - Gui..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by FUN Creators." appears on the video in question when searched on youtube.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
What really got me laughing hard out of this whole thing is that on the email the company threatened to send their lawyers over to the UK, I guess they're going on vacation then, since TB moved to the US a long time ago.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
llagrok said:
I pray that they tear down TB, his terrible videos and anything else that mouth-breather has put on the internet.

So you are okay with a company making a false copyright claim to censor something they don't agree with because you don't like the person who made the video in question?
Apparently he also thinks that providing free advertising for small studios is bad too. It is one thing to say his videos are bad, but he has implied that they are not useful. Gee, llagrok, you ruined your reputation just as quickly as these other two companies did. Well done, sir.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
themilo504 said:
First day one Garry incident and now this game, is youtube simply blind or do they just not care?
YouTube doesn't care. They have made that painfully obvious on numerous occasions. They're so big that they get money regardless of what people think because they're really the only option most people have. Thus, they don't bother. They know people will still use their site. Sad really.

On topic, this is like going after Adam and Rev3Games. This is something you just. Don't. DO. Good-bye FUN Creators.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
llagrok said:

Sure, because a content provider you don't personally like is obviously worse than a company breaking the law to silence criticism about their shitty game so they might be able to fool a few more people into giving them money before the word is out to everyone.

Do you not see how ridiculous your statement is?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I thought FUN also took down some small time videos as well (I believe I heard that somewhere).

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Its Garry's Days incident Mk2!

Oh dis gon be good!!!

EDIT:

They're playing the conspiracy card that someone 'pushed' TB to make that video?

Oh dear gods...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
This just seems so wierd to me. I haven't even seen TB's review because it was pretty obvious that GotW was a bad game just from watching the trailer/gameplay video on steam. I love the concept but the game itself just isn't up to par.

And instead of just letting the negative reviews exist, the creators decided to be a dick about someone calling them out on their work which only makes them look like a bully. TB is going through a lot of crap he shouldn't have to and FUN could be actually taking the criticism and making a GOOD game out of Guise of the Wolf.

Instead we have this crap. *Sigh*