Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

RemoteControlRox

Aug 24, 2009
I'd be interested in it if it was made. Possibly enough to go buy some Guitar Hero controllers. That would probably defeat the purpose of "more than one use for the plastic guitar," though, since I don't have any of the other games.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
It's not a bad idea y'know. I mean you can only push the "Simon Says" gameplay idea so far before it becomes stale and that stage was about six Guitar Hero games ago. However - Yahtzee I'm surprised. The combat portion of the game seems like, (to me,) a series of flashy quick-time events, (although it probably looks a lot different in your head than it does mine.) Then again if you were to look at Guitar Hero games in a narrow and cynical way you could say tha the game is quick-time events, where instead of "Press X to not die" is "Press # then # and then #, # and # to not suck, be booed off stage and made to feel like a failure."

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
I remember when I first saw the trailer for Guitar Hero 2--a guitarist was playing his guitar ontop of a van as a meteor raced towards the Earth. Playing the song "Woman" by Wolfmother, he managed to zap the meteor and stop it from destroying the earth.

When I saw that, I always thought the games would take place by having epic battles against monsters or whatever while playing rock songs. You know, Guitar HERO. But no, instead, I was amazed to find just a normal stage. Of course I was way more distracted by the game being awesome and quickly forgot.

Reading this--this is what Guitar Hero should have been like in the first place. Screw emulating rock stars, no one cares about pretending to be a regular (albeit, loose definition of "regular") human. We should be on top of skyscrapers beating the crap out of Godzilla and Cthulu at the same time by playing awesome rock songs.

cc257

Nov 9, 2009
Damn yahtzee thats got to be the best idea since jesus grew a beard. Youve got me sold!!!

spikenog

Oct 17, 2008
Anyone else finding this Yahtzee guy to be getting old? I mean, is he even funny anymore?

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I suck at rhythm games, and do not want to see them infesting more of the gaming space than they already do. Interesting concept though, I wouldn't mind seeing it in an more formal design document than an angry nerd rant. If I were designing this game I would have the top of the van guitar playing segments act like a recruitment phase, where the quality of your play affects the number of loyal fans (hit points) you can afford to loose during the combat phase. Of course this wanders back into the RTS territory Yahtzee hates so much.

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
That actually sounds really freakin sweet. I would totally buy that game (the pre-order should come with a free sweet-yahtzee hat) and play the hell out of it, oh and yahtzee should to the voice over for the tutorial, just to fuck with people, can you imagine yathzee explaining the control scheme in his lightning-fat-thick-acscented voice? It'd be funny as hell watching people try to catch what he's saying.

Though when you said guitar hero rock opera, i was thinking like, have like little cutscene's the bring you through the basic story of a movie (like tenacious D and the pic of destiny) and then you play the songs chronologicly, each movie would represent a teir, so it's like watching a shortened version of the movie, but you get to play all the songs. You could do movies like tenacious D,....um... A Hard Days Night, Repo the genetic opera, HELP! Across the universe..........The Producers? Okay obviously you'd have to find some good music movies to fill it in, but the concept...well it makes sence

Eh your ideas better anyways, mines just a thought.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Reminds me of Yahtzee's short story 'the Spirit of Rock'. Sounds fun, but the van-driving seems a bit stiff to me.

EvilAlienOne

Sep 22, 2009
I think this might get me to buy a next gen... that's amazing, unless it was on PC then forget the console I need to find a bluetooth guitar

Rickmanguy

Sep 2, 2009
spikenog said:
Anyone else finding this Yahtzee guy to be getting old? I mean, is he even funny anymore?
Dunno 'bout you, but I still find him funny.

That would actually make a good game, provided the developers know what the hell they're doing. It's what Brutal Legend should've been, really...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It would be so awesome. Finally, something to do with all the pieces of plastic like yourself, just sitting in a cabinet not doing much most of the time...

Make most of the investment, lol. I'd certainly dabble in it, at least for the sake of justifying the price of the instruments.

Dory16

Jun 10, 2009
Yahtzee, that genuinely sounds amazing. The Boss fight combat sounds like it needs a little work, and I want to hear more about what the missions and side quests would involve. I'd like to think it would be more than 'combat' or 'play GH song', but I can't really think of much else. All the same, this definitely sounds like a great idea.

The Noble Shade

Dec 24, 2008
This world needs more obscure, far-fetched games. Cliffy B's game was about steroid buffed men fighting subterranean monsters with assault rifles that had chainsaws on them (and don't forget laser satellite cannons). My game idea is about a lonely guttersnipe who finds it in himself and his genes to become a defender of humanity. And this idea is about an adventure game played with a plastic guitar (very well presented, in my opinion). Original games ideas aren't dead yet.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I'd actually wondered what it'd be like if Brutal Legend let you use a Guitar Hero or Rock Band controller for the guitar solos. I always figured it would be a pretty awesome prospect, if a bit cumbersome to switch between the normal and guitar controllers. I'd certainly think that a game like this would be very interesting. Here's hoping someone else tries to make a game from this.

If not, I'll probably give it a shot at some point, if the opportunity ever arises.

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
Seriously? Not to be a Troll but you're all a bunch of Yahtzee fanboys/girls to the point of not actually analyzing if you're going to have fun with the game.

I mean the game he described has potential but the controls will obviously have flaws simply because of the premise: Make an action game where the guitar controller is your only input.

I applaud Yahtzee for an interesting battle scheme idea but it it seems to have some minor lingering stench of quick time events disguised in the form of guitar playing.

The controlling of your 'car' also sounds like it would get tiring very very quickly. I'm also not sure of the strum bar is an analog control, so you'd have no control over speed. If that is the case I'd suggest actually putting the throttle on the whamy bar and let the strummer be nitro or weapons or something, I dunno. That sounds like it would tire my hands a little. Not sure.

There is talk of experience but what kind of RPG elements could be brought to a game where your primary abilities lie in a dexterity/rhythm mini-game? I suppose upgrades to your car and guitar.

I think ultimately the controls would be novel to start, and then fall flat if the game lasted for any significant length of time. Otherwise known as almost every Wii title out there.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to try this game. But I don't believe it'll be a good game. Maybe with a bit of polish (and a healthy does of Tim Schafer's story abilities) it could stand somewhere between Brutal Legend and Psychonauts, if we forgive the controller limitation. I can easily imagine an alternate Yahtzee (it'd have to be cause our current Yahtzee would be too biased to his own idea) who didn't have this idea would likely rip the finished game to shreds while mentioning that it was a nice try at re-using the guitar controller and he saw through the attempts to hide quick time events as a rhythm game!

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
After reading this all I can picture is one lone guitarist standing atop a Castle keeping waves of slavering monsters at bay with ridiculous solos. Even without all the other elements, a Tower Defense/Rythm game would be totally awesome.

If there was ever a game half as cool as what was described I would have to go get it.